SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

No I don't come from Liverpool, all I said was Walton is in Liverpool.

I don't know stereotyping scousers as all being ruffians.

No dear boy, ruffian for hurting those kind skins. I trust you then treated them in A & E?

G. B. Harmy

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, mdvle said:

On the other hand though you get to charge the battery for free when going down the other side of the mountain given most electric cars seem to have regenerative braking.

Whilst recognising this is true, I can't work out how a friend managed to maroon herself in her Leafy with a bat flattery at the bottom of the mountain road!  Some special skills needed for that one.  Those real mileages in Colin's link are a bit of a scare though - not too good.  I'd have charge stress all of the time.

How would one get to Horrocksford?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Whilst recognising this is true, I can't work out how a friend managed to maroon herself in her Leafy with a bat flattery at the bottom of the mountain road!  Some special skills needed for that one.  Those real mileages in Colin's link are a bit of a scare though - not too good.  I'd have charge stress all of the time.

How would one get to Horrocksford?

Swim the Oirish sea?

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

No dear boy, ruffian for hurting those kind skins. I trust you then treated them in A & E?

G. B. Harmy

Dear Mr Hair Spray, "you can't tell she is wearing it",

That was before I became a nurse.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

15 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Its fun....2018-05-28_01446.JPG.0fae2cd9544a66a20f75675b73dcb575.JPG

That, my friend, is what you call a proper bike.

I had an R 80RT close to 30 years ago which was an ex met police hack, that was best described as a bunch of parts skaking their way  along the road together in very tight formation.

my day bike now is a 1200RT LE, but I still find myself tempted by the idea of a decent air cooler 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

So may I check please?

The following set of coaches was the 07.30 from Exeter to Waterloo (arriving 11.08) and is shown in this order on the WTT at Waterloo ready to go as the 11.45 to Exmouth:

Loco   (presumably, as I have put it here at the top of the list)

3 Set L

BCK

(Buffers @ Platform 11)

BUT, did the train arrive in this order?

(Buffers @ Platform 11)

Loco

BCK

3 Set L

Sorry but I keep imagining the printed coach set sitting in the Platform on arrival and just being the same way round when it leaves. Doh!

I know this is nerdy but it is annoying me.

Phil

I concur with your interpretation of the CWN, what goes Down must have come Up, but in the reverse order.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, SR Chris said:

I concur with your interpretation of the CWN, what goes Down must have come Up, but in the reverse order.

Unless of course it goes round the Kingston loop to free up platform space at Waterloo between arrival and departure. But I suspect that didn’t happen in steam days - the stock just went to Clapham Yard and back.

Edited by brushman47544
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I shuffle about on two wheels on occasion. I am having my first winter commuting in the car for 35 years, since I passed my bike test. A bit odd but getting a bit creaky and thought it best to listen to my body.

Trusty Triumph.  

Somewhere in Germany Feb 2015. -5

Rob. 

2016-12-12 20.58.29.png

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, bigwordsmith said:

That, my friend, is what you call a proper bike.

I had an R 80RT close to 30 years ago which was an ex met police hack, that was best described as a bunch of parts skaking their way  along the road together in very tight formation.

my day bike now is a 1200RT LE, but I still find myself tempted by the idea of a decent air cooler 

I think you meant to link the beemer photo not the Supermoto, that's actually Debs R80 to tell the truth.  I also had a R80/7 with an RS fairing, but couldn't ride it after my hip surgery - too wide saddle so it's gone.  The monolever is narrower, and to us a nicer bike.  I have also had an R80ST, wish I still had that one.  There's 4 Hondas in the garage too.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, brushman47544 said:

Unless of course it goes round the Kingston loop to free up platform space at Waterloo between arrival and departure. But I suspect that didn’t happen in steam days.

Indeed, but then the incoming service would be shown as the ECS that had been round the loop and not as the previous Up service.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On ‎06‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 20:47, SR Chris said:

On ‎06‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 20:51, brushman47544 said:

Unless of course it goes round the Kingston loop to free up platform space at Waterloo between arrival and departure. But I suspect that didn’t happen in steam days - the stock just went to Clapham Yard and back.***

I have sorted it. Thanks guys. What comes up from west of Seaton Junction (and returns ***without leaving the Waterloo Platform AFAICT as the turn around time is short and workings to Clapham Yd would be shown on the CWN, and that is three trains), is entered on my Spreadsheet (SS) with the loco at the right end of the cells list left to right,  that is with the coach list as shown on the CWN at Waterloo for departure. The loco in these 3 cases is not entered in front of coach 1 position, it will be after coach 10 (5 on my spread sheet as 5 come off at Axminster),12 and 12. I CBA to alter the coach position (e.g. 1,2,3 etc) in reverse order on the SS for the three Up trains that return, but I know what it all means (at last).   Just thought that I must now double check for the/any coaches that got dumped at Salisbury to become a slow/local stopper. I remember reading about at least two down and one up. Downs will be easy to see; Ups will be a bit of 'subtraction' between what left Exeter (if I can dig that out) and what arrives at waterloo according to the CWN and also checking the CWN for workings from Salisbury. Yippee, more eye straining fun on Friday.

All other downs starting at Waterloo have the loco entered on the left of the SS and the coaches 1 to whatever listed in the cells to the right as entered on the CWN.

All sounds like a big faff, BUT it has allowed me to see at a glance the coaches required for the expresses and that is invaluable for the future sorting of my Cassette storage as suggested by my good friend Gilbert of Peterborough.

I might do a SS for the 'Locals' as they were usually 3Ls + or hotch potch and the Brighton and Portsmouth services as they did vary a bit (but usually Mk1s), but not for the Cleethorpes/Exmouth/Sidmouth as that is just a coach fest too far! Paper info on that will do me fine.

As for goods trains...…..pah!

Great fun. Even SWMBO was impressed with my SS attempts.:clapping:

Phil

Edit: what is scored through is all boll0cks; see my later post for update.

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

All this talk about motor bikes, I had a C90. I went everywhere on it, well all of Essex. Then one night I came off it. There was a neat hole in my bike Jacket, the inner jacket, my jumper, my shirt and my skin where one part of my humerus bone came through. When they opened up my arm there were 7 large bits of bone. 2 plates, 12 screws and some wire later (and a bone graft from my hip) it was back together. I still have limited movement in my left elbow and wake up most nights in pain, 27 years afterwards.

It don't matter how big a bike is that road will hurt you if you land on it.

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

All this talk about motor bikes, I had a C90. I went everywhere on it, well all of Essex. Then one night I came off it. There was a neat hole in my bike Jacket, the inner jacket, my jumper, my shirt and my skin where one part of my humerus bone came through. When they opened up my arm there were 7 large bits of bone. 2 plates, 12 screws and some wire later (and a bone graft from my hip) it was back together. I still have limited movement in my left elbow and wake up most nights in pain, 27 years afterwards.

It don't matter how big a bike is that road will hurt you if you land on it.

Four wheels good, two wheels bad.

G. Orwell

PS - Three wheels just plain daft, unless they're on a Morgan.

• Agree 2

9 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

G. Orwell

Just over 2 years ago I was hit head on by a Polish driver of a Mercedes truck - he as on my side of the road, and too busy texting to notice, until he came around the corner, looked up, thought 'OhMIGodski' and next thing there was an almighty bang!

I was only going slowly so had brought the bike to a standstill but it still shortened the bike by 8 inches threw me 15 feet into the air, breaking off a BMW factory top box on the way and ending up with me sliding 20 feet down the highway. Bear in mind I was 61 at the time!

After a few moments checking everything worked and realising that it did indeed hurt, my anger overcame the discomfort enough for me to get to my feet, against the advice of all the onlookers, and let the idiot know what I though of him!.

As it turned out nothing was broken, and no skin injuries were received because I was dressed top to toe in top quality protective clothing, including body armour at all key points. IN fact the gear is so god I am still able to use it today.

That is the biggest difference between biking when I started eleventy years ago and today - we all wear protection like a second skin, because you've only got one original!

812680445_RTonitsside.jpeg.2a81970dfad7e7adc5320766d2644669.jpeg

• Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

G. Orwell

Hi UDJ

I had a Reliant Supervan Three. Cost me a £10, even in 1985 that was a good bargain. It was named the Purple Pig.

After the above bike accident Mrs M told me that I should learn to drive, so with a painful and knackered left arm and her car was a automatic it made sense to learn in an automatic. By law I cannot drive a four wheeled car with a clutch but because I have a full motor bike licence I can drive a 3 wheeler with a clutch. How daft is that?

• Like 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi UDJ

I had a Reliant Supervan Three. Cost me a £10, even in 1985 that was a good bargain. It was named the Purple Pig.

After the above bike accident Mrs M told me that I should learn to drive, so with a painful and knackered left arm and her car was a automatic it made sense to learn in an automatic. By law I cannot drive a four wheeled car with a clutch but because I have a full motor bike licence I can drive a 3 wheeler with a clutch. How daft is that?

A tenner sounds fair for that. A school mate had one, the upmarket TS Safari model, because in those days you could drive them at 16 not 17.

My first car was a 1960 Ford Pop 100E. My half-share cost me 20 quid. The radio cost more than the car.

Edited by St Enodoc
Fat fingers
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1