Washout at Dawlish

Lots of things get people misted up, but I've never been bothered by the whole railway station/train station thing. Does it really matter what people call it as long as they turn up, buy a ticket and travel? Remember that only a small percentage of passengers are enthusiasts and quite rightly, I doubt they care what the "correct" terminology is. Definitely a chestnut I'd confine to Room 101.

After our travels yesterday FGW staff seemed very up beat, no doubt a big relief that things are getting back to normal.

The one downside that non of the staff should put up with is abuse that we saw at a Topsham last night when two blokes got off as we were getting on and one of the. Started having a go at the driver for not sending the guard through the train as it didn't stop on request where they wanted to get off. This bloke then started hitting the drivers window.

In the old days of bardic lamps it would have just accidentally have swung up and connected with said offenders jaw (obviously not whilst seated in a cab).

• RMweb Gold

I know how you feel. There are always members of society that feel the world should revolve around them. The Exeter drivers are well used to that kind of thing around Exeter. Royal Oak of this parish is an Exeter driver and I don't doubt he'd say the same, straight over the head!

If I remember right, Topsham is equipped with CCTV?

With any luck, the staff concerned will have reported it (they are pretty good with that kind of thing), and the BTP at Exeter will be checking the CCTV...

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

With any luck, the staff concerned will have reported it (they are pretty good with that kind of thing), and the BTP at Exeter will be checking the CCTV...

Good

I wasn't sure if the driver had called the police as a car with its lights on turned up as we left Topsham about 19.20 with the offender still on the platform.

Ian

I know how you feel. There are always members of society that feel the world should revolve around them. The Exeter drivers are well used to that kind of thing around Exeter. Royal Oak of this parish is an Exeter driver and I don't doubt he'd say the same, straight over the head!

If I remember right, Topsham is equipped with CCTV?

Am I?

Do they use proper electric trains down there now then (<like the one over there in my profile<) or are they still those horrible diseasel things?

back to the important stuff though, yes it just goes straight over our heads, we might 'wave' at people like that or enquire if they will enjoy their walk as we drive past them but 2 seconds later it is forgotten about and back to the day job.

Highly unlikely the staff reported it though (not worth the effort) but the staff will remember the faces for the next time they want to get on the train to make sure they can have another walk

• RMweb Premium

Am I?

Do they use proper electric trains down there now then (<like the one over there in my profile<) or are they still those horrible diseasel things?

back to the important stuff though, yes it just goes straight over our heads, we might 'wave' at people like that or enquire if they will enjoy their walk as we drive past them but 2 seconds later it is forgotten about and back to the day job.

Highly unlikely the staff reported it though (not worth the effort) but the staff will remember the faces for the next time they want to get on the train to make sure they can have another walk

Sorry fella, I forgot! Your SWT arnt you? For a daft moment I thought you were Exeter train crew.

My mistake.

Anybody tried walking from Dawlish Warren towards "Red Rock" this weekend - how far can you get, or is it blocked at the footbridge over the crossover?

Possibly still blocked at that foot bridge

that was closed to allow staff to cross over bridge & then access on foot the seawall path past Red Rock cafe

and the other end of the bridge, the footpath was closed off to pedestrians (coastal path route)

and remained inside the Warren compound, so unless they have shrunk that compound it will still be closed

see if I can get down there & look

Just got back from the Warren, spoke to the security guy, sea wall path will be closed for a while,

including the bridge as this is their only access to the warren side of the containers 

was looking at the warren groynes, & bumped into Keith George of this forum, who is staying at the warren camping coaches

• Like 1

Just got back from the Warren, spoke to the security guy, sea wall path will be closed for a while,

including the bridge as this is their only access to the warren side of the containers 

was looking at the warren groynes, & bumped into Keith George of this forum, who is staying at the warren camping coaches

I have just returned from a few days in Glorious Devon and yesterday walked from Dawlish Warren to Dawlish and back along the top cliff path.

Although the main north part of the beach and sea wall is out of bounds we were able to cross footbridge at the Exeter end of Dawlish station

to access the beach and then walk along the sea wall beneath the down platform and back out under the bridge onto the road in the town centre,

cheers

Sorry fella, I forgot! Your SWT arnt you? For a daft moment I thought you were Exeter train crew.

My mistake.

No problem, I do post a lot about down there as I spend a lot of time there visiting family.

Saying that it might be worth looking into a move to Exeter, the leisure travel is losing a bit more of its enjoyment factor every time I do it. <ponders for a moment>

I suppose I could get used to the little diseasel trains instead of my long electric trains!

• Like 2

Interesting that when the footbridge was replaced a few months back step-free access wasn't provided.  Was this because of conservation issues, or because the steps weren't replaced, or some other reason? 

The steps are sorta integral with the building at Dawlish, only the span was replaced.

There is step free access (at least during the time the station is manned) via the barrow crossing. Not ideal maybe, but something...

After our travels yesterday FGW staff seemed very up beat, no doubt a big relief that things are getting back to normal.

The one downside that non of the staff should put up with is abuse that we saw at a Topsham last night when two blokes got off as we were getting on and one of the. Started having a go at the driver for not sending the guard through the train as it didn't stop on request where they wanted to get off. This bloke then started hitting the drivers window.

It's a real shame that there are always one or two idiots that will always want to abuse or attack someone just trying to do there job, often under stressful or difficult situations. It was because of some of these idiots that I stopped working on the retail shop floor and eventually got out of retail all together. I'd been sworn at, spat at and swung at all for trying to do my job, and there's not enough money in the world that will make me put up with that sort of behaviour. I have a real sympathy with everyone who works in the public sector or with members of the public, who constantly have to put up with abuse, verbally and physically. Unfortunately it seems to be a growing trend and until stiffer deterents are put in place it looks like people who serve the public will suffer at a small minority of them.

You all have my utmost respect for putting up with the cr*p that is thrown at you on a daily basis and I can only say a big thank you to all those who keep our railways and other public services running. Hopefully, one day, the time and fine will fit the crime, and make your job that little bit easier.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Highlander

I agree about working for the public. Try nursing. A "patient" attacked my colleague, the police were called. While they were working out what they could do with him, I was attacked. The police were on the ward. They could not take him to the police station as he would have been unfit to be in police cells. So he would have been readmitted to the hospital. Guess where the only empty bed in the hospital would have been if he was taken off our ward? That is right his vacated bed.

Following night we were back on duty, he was still our patient. No one from senior management asked us were we OK for two weeks.

Worse was when we had to write statements regarding a complaint the hospital received because "Fat Bob" the hospital security guy restrained him by sitting on him until the police turned up. "Fat Bob" was so called to distinguish him from "Thin Bob" who also worked on hospital security.

Edited by Clive Mortimore

I have just returned from a few days in Glorious Devon and yesterday walked from Dawlish Warren to Dawlish and back along the top cliff path.

Although the main north part of the beach and sea wall is out of bounds we were able to cross footbridge at the Exeter end of Dawlish station

to access the beach and then walk along the sea wall beneath the down platform and back out under the bridge onto the road in the town centre,

cheers

Thanks for that Rivercider

thats a path I cannot negotiate

I did try the footpath from Pinewood Close to the Warren, ( by the Exeter rd. Dawlish Warren junction)

which starts off wide & tarmacked, but when I tried the right  side path turnoff  300 yards in,

that goes towards Dawlish, I got bogged down & had to retreat

Well I suppose that bit is more like a sheep path, but I am an optimist!

& although I have various adaptations to my wheelchairs

none can negotiate steps

Although they are available if you have plenty of dosh

The fleet of wheelchairs does not imply wealth,

the small Wispa scooter 

I use in the house as it is so small & manouverable Cost £40, 2nd hand

would not rely on that for anything other than very short trips

The large red shoprider, seen in an earlier post, can do 28 miles , in theory, cost £50, an absolute bargain 

But too wide for many doorways so cant generally use it about town ( unless I DONT want to go into shops!!!)

capable of towing

a tandem seat trailer for my wife,

or a 3cwt weight capacity tipping trailer,

or a flat 3 wheel trailer for a carrying a stack of apple boxes when picking in the autumn

fitted with double back wheels for beach propulsion

was a insurance claim disposal after an airline dropped it off a forklift

when the previous owner went to abroad

keep your eyes open it is out there

Oh,  and an ordinary wheelchair for every day use!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

No way should anyone have to put up with this sort of behaviour, but in all the replies/comments nobody has actually reflected upon the apparent reason for the fracas, namely that the persons concerned couldn't request their stop because the guard didn't pass through the train. I would ask why not; if this element is true then the staff concerned should be spoken to by FGW. Isn't that unacceptable too?

No way should anyone have to put up with this sort of behaviour, but in all the replies/comments nobody has actually reflected upon the apparent reason for the fracas, namely that the persons concerned couldn't request their stop because the guard didn't pass through the train. I would ask why not; if this element is true then the staff concerned should be spoken to by FGW. Isn't that unacceptable too?

Sadly, this is not uncommon. We travelled from Nottingham to Edinburgh last Easter,changing twice using three different trains and we did not have our ticket checked once in the entire journey. The return journey was the complete opposite, tickets checked on each train, on the long leg from Edinburgh to Newark more than once. Also, on the St Ives branch last summer, a journey on a near empty evening train from Lelant Saltings to St Ives and no opportunity to buy a ticket as the conductor did not appear, so we travelled for free. 

A very variable situation.

ROB

• RMweb Gold

There were various people on that train talking bout someone not wanting ot pay their fare. As to whether it was these two blokes and possibly got abusive with the gaurd he may well have retreated to the rear cab.

Or it could have been that he was in the rear of the two units.. I am presuming that these guys wanted to get off at Lympstone Commando.

But I could be wrong.

When I am down west I will always try to get where the gaurd is if I want a request stop but then I am also happy to pay for the fare.

Sorry to go off topic!!

Ian

Edited by roundhouse

Or it could have been that he was in the rear of the two units.. I am presuming that these guys wanted to get off at Lympstone Commando.

Guards not being able to pass through is an issue now we often have paired units with no gangways (that's a downside post-Wessex, all units down here were gangwayed before the influx of Bristol 143s and then 142s and 150/1 to the area) - ISTR the guards required to be in the rear unit?

But as you say, if you know it's an issue and you know you need to do so, why not go and try and find the guard?

Even if not announced on-train it's marked as a request stop on any screens.

Little yellow stampy things

They look like modern adaptions to polish the rail head so that it is shiny.

Down on the Underground we do it the proper way. Every night we have gangs out with polish and rags so the rails are nice and shiny for the punters the next morning.

Stewart