Washout at Dawlish

• RMweb Premium

Just clicked on the webcam and got HST's in both directions within a minute.  What a fabulous sight after those dreadful images from 2 months ago.   It really has been a fantastic achivement.   By chance this week's Rail has a full article on all the various weather related disruptions over the past couple of months, not just Dawlish but Botrley, Unstone, Crewekerne and many many others.  It has been a really heartwarming thing to see how professional railwaymen and women, have just got on with the job and responded to so many varied and large challenges.

A hearty salute to the orange army..

The only problem now is what do do with my time when not watching this thread.   The only consolation is that the Big Boy will be on the move soom going up Cajon heading for Weber Canyon and Sherman Hill so that will no doubt fill many more hours up.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 6

Guest Belgian

Someone on Jeremy Vine's show says 'they've even glued the ballast down' at Dawlish. Has Captain Kernow got his real railway mixed up with his model one?!! :jester:

JE

• RMweb Premium

If anyone ever wants to knock the railways and Network Rail they should be reminded of the amazing work that has been done, not only here but elsewhere to get things done and done at quite a pace. I know others have said it, but well done to all those who worked so tirelessly to get things open again. It must have felt like a vertical curve at the begining.

It also prooves where there is a will that things can be done quickly and not take forever.

Many thanks as well to all those who visited the site, and, or are local keeping us up to date with the progress, what an impressive thread and one that was always worth watching.

Duncan

• RMweb Gold

Someone on Jeremy Vine's show says 'they've even glued the ballast down' at Dawlish. Has Captain Kernow got his real railway mixed up with his model one?!! :jester:

JE

I think we had chapter and verse on that unfamiliar technique from Gary H a few pages back?

• RMweb Gold

if you look at the time lapse webcam on the bbc link, http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-26874503 the mobile floodlight nearest camera the must have a dodgy ram or something, from about 1:07 in the video you see it being raised over a number of nights and slowly over the course of a few hours it drops down night after night!

made me chuckle anyway

• RMweb Gold

JE

Let me assure you, in the clearest terms possible, and without the slightest chance of any ambiguity, and absolutely no chance of erroneous interpretation, that the chances of this taking place are precisely Zero! ;)

• RMweb Gold

Let me assure you, in the clearest terms possible, and without the slightest chance of any ambiguity, and absolutely no chance of erroneous interpretation, that the chances of this taking place are precisely Zero! ;)

Perhaps Jeremy Vine had been looking at this thread at the point we were talking about ballast and PVA!!

There was a link on here in the last few days to a tv report( claire someone? )

Where she interviewed the housholder who's garage was washed out

cant seem to find it now

EDIT

belay that,

daughters found it

Edited by Granitechops

if you look at the time lapse webcam on the bbc link, http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-26874503 the mobile floodlight nearest camera the must have a dodgy ram or something, from about 1:07 in the video you see it being raised over a number of nights and slowly over the course of a few hours it drops down night after night!

made me chuckle anyway

Haha, I noticed that as well - it then appears to have been relocated to near the location of the 'Big Red Spidery Thing' - those technical phrases are catching on by the way as a BBC reporter called a sonar device being used in the search for the missing aircraft ' Dragging Along Radar Thing' last week.

Even at 1am drivers where sounding the horn approaching the cam, it gave a good bit of warning to be able to capture images :)

Andi

An XC Voyager driver is obviously a fan of the cam as he gave it a blast on approaching.

attachicon.gifDawlishcam4.jpg

Ah, I wasn't the only one up last night watching a few of the moves on Dawlish Cm as well then, there was a good couple of music toots from a rather excited HST driver at about 00:50 odd! Tooooot Tit Tooot Tit toot toot :whistle:

I've got to say though, it really is great not just to be able to watch Dawlish through the excellent Dawlish cam again, but more so thanks to the tremendous works of CK, Gary H and the 'Orange Army', Devon & Somerset Fire & Rescue and anyone else involved in the project to repair and reinstate the Sea Wall over the past two months! Well Done All and Thank You!

• Like 1

Been to Dawlish this morning

Was not allowed on the platform without a ticket to travel

so bought a return to Dawlish Warren!

Dwlish Town beach partially open

post-22449-0-85762500-1396621978.jpg

post-22449-0-64688200-1396622027.jpg

New Galvanised supports under the platform overhang

post-22449-0-76940400-1396622064.jpg

can go north along seawall as far as the old Lifeboat house

post-22449-0-20841100-1396622149.jpg

post-22449-0-74465500-1396622221.jpg

inspection of wave size??

post-22449-0-82956200-1396622279.jpg

Beach Party??

post-22449-0-02192100-1396622339.jpg

Strong bracing where the platform overhangs more,

(was there before these storms by the look of it)

post-22449-0-15795300-1396622399.jpg 

Bunting at Dawlish

post-22449-0-96036800-1396622523.jpg

Bunting at the Warren

post-22449-0-66261100-1396622621.jpg

• Like 11

Well I'm not impressed. I just watched the webcam and had to wait over eight minutes before a train came past and then it was only a DMU. I can't see many exhibition organisers inviting this layout back :no: 

Seriously, huge respect for the orange army. This was an amazing achievement and watching the time lapse two minute version of the past two months really brings home some of the conditions they had to face to achieve it. I wonder who had the good sense to put up a time lapse camera or was it just taken from a security camera?

Interesting interview on the Today programme this morning. It rather implied that the most economical way of meeting the political pressure to prevent the SW ever being cut off by rail again would be to restore one of the closed lines as a second route. Would that automatically be Exeter-Oakhampton-Tavistock-Plymouth? 

• Like 5

Having found it last night to see the empty stock moves I've become oddly addicted to the Dawlish Beach webcam.  Just seen two XC HSTs pass by, probably double what I've seen of the fleet ever.

And the drivers seem to acknowledge the webcam too (he even waves)

M :)

• Like 7

Well I'm not impressed. I just watched the webcam and had to wait over eight minutes before a train came past and then it was only a DMU. I can't see many exhibition organisers inviting this layout back :no:

Seriously, huge respect for the orange army. This was an amazing achievement and watching the time lapse two minute version of the past two months really brings home some of the conditions they had to face to achieve it. I wonder who had the good sense to put up a time lapse camera or was it just taken from a security camera?

Interesting interview on the Today programme this morning. It rather implied that the most economical way of meeting the political pressure to prevent the SW ever being cut off by rail again would be to restore one of the closed lines as a second route. Would that automatically be Exeter-Oakhampton-Tavistock-Plymouth? 

I think the time lapse is Network Rail's camera

see

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/timetables-and-travel/storm-damage/dawlish/

Which has now been updated, with this mornings events & future works to come