Washout at Dawlish

• RMweb Premium

The only problem now is what do do with my time when not watching this thread.   The only consolation is that the Big Boy will be on the move soom going up Cajon heading for Weber Canyon and Sherman Hill so that will no doubt fill many more hours up.

Jamie

Oh yeah! Im really looking forward to that! :sungum:

And the drivers seem to acknowledge the webcam too (he even waves)

M :)

I've noticed one or two acknowledging the camera!

I also noticed a 150+2x143 formation heading towards Exeter earlier - either business is booming with first day riders or it was an ECS movement!

The sea wall and the walkways are still under repair. The railway itself has re-opened and according to local reports some areas of the beach are accessible. But the South West Coast Path remains officially diverted to its "high tide route" along the road and there's still a good deal of small-scale tidying up to be done over coming weeks.

Just been along the beach and the incline at Sprey Point still needs repair. Security are still atop the sea wall at the access steps to stop you going there. There is still security and masses of builders equipment at the start of tbe sea wall. A security guy was even on the beach at Sprey Point to stop you 'wandering' round the rocks at low water (when I was there). The beach is only accesible therefore as far as SP.

Gwiwer, as we talked of the sea wall the other week, there are 3 areas where the bottom of the wall has been attacked by the sea and needs repairs to the (kind of) stepped ledge. Beach was free of debris now except for some branches.

Edited by lightengine

• RMweb Premium

Having stopped following this thread at page 98 due to going to w**k at stupid o'clock this morning and therefore missing the highlights of the past 14 or 15 hours and only just got to the end of the postings, thanks all for the informative and humourous postings.

Finaly a huge vote of thanks for all the hard graft put in by all those concened with re-joining this end of the country to the rest of it, from the tea 'n' oggie boy to the big wigs that formulated the plan in the first place and of course our very own behind the scenes correspondents.

Thanks SS

• Like 1

Haha, I noticed that as well - it then appears to have been relocated to near the location of the 'Big Red Spidery Thing' - those technical phrases are catching on by the way as a BBC reporter called a sonar device being used in the search for the missing aircraft ' Dragging Along Radar Thing' last week.

!

At least we never got 'orange cald worky thingies'.

I'm away from Teignmouth unfortunately, so missing all the fun. Is the Teignmouth sea wall open to pedestrians now, or is non-railway repair work still going on?

No, it is still all closed and beach only open up to Sprey Point.

Edited by lightengine

• RMweb Premium

Nearly a quater of an hours worth of this work on tonights Spotlight news with nothing but praise for all those involved, plus a promise by the pm, that the interim report on the alternatives due in July won't be swept under the carpet. Although this afternoon I did see a sludge tanker covered in the following "This tanker is full of government promises".

SS

• Like 3

Nearly a quater of an hours worth of this work on tonights Spotlight news with nothing but praise for all those involved, plus a promise by the pm, that the interim report on the alternatives due in July won't be swept under the carpet. Although this afternoon I did see a sludge tanker covered in the following "This tanker is full of government promises".

SS

See http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?app=core&module=attach§ion=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=394871

SS

post-19606-0-55372100-1396635366.jpg

photo taken a few weeks ago

Edited by lightengine

Guest Belgian

I think we had chapter and verse on that unfamiliar technique from Gary H a few pages back?

I was trying (obviously unsuccessfully) to be funny.

JE

• Like 1

Great work and wonderful to see the line back again. Anyone know if or when the containers will be moved away and how it'll be done?

Mal

Network Rail are keeping this website up to date - scroll down a bit - just under the first pic http://www.networkrail.co.uk/timetables-and-travel/storm-damage/dawlish/ Edited by Coombe Barton

It was in Teignmouth several years ago that a traffic warden booked a hearse and funeral cars outside a church.!! :O

A real jobsworth. :O

Keith.

Probably the same one that booked cars last year on the Remebrance Day service.

Watched the report on BBC news this morning live from the platform full of praise for NR and the army ,this evening the report was far more in depth with shots of our leader congratulating the orange army(does he watch rmw) plus a good helicopter shot of an HST running into Dawlish plus a Pacer coming in from Plymouth direction.Overall the news gave good coverage of the reopening with sensible comments and acknowledging that railways are important to our economy.Thanks to everyone involved in this project its going to be strange not seeing this thread when it finishes.

I`m glad nowt else happened to delay the re-opening & Dawlish and all involved had a good day too cheer & reflect the great work done, apart from one small moment some gobster opened his waffle mouth lol, at least the sun came out to make it a perfect day. It has been a bad time for many areas of the rail network with weather damage causing small to big to mega problems.

The current greatness is that NR & all other companies involved sorting these out are hero`s doing there job to fix it, and will be liked by the media and public at the moment greatly. Sadly in todays modern times that within days or weeks something will happen that the media will slam badly and reverse the (sheep) public thinking in to a negative way.

But the likes of CK / Gary / rail & non-rail workforce who have sorted these problems out nationwide, should feel loud and proud what they did this winter. As on here and out in the real world there are many many people who enjoyed watching it being fixed and how it was done and how you just got on with it will never be forgotten. 

:offtopic:

wish someone would ban me from thinking as that sooooooo hurt :fool:   :P

• Like 2

Please keep this thread open. Say  NO to locking it :no: :declare: .

What are you on about now? Has anyone said anything about locking it? I suppose it makes a change from you keep clicking on the 'disagree' button.

Just a few pics of the Orange army, who were there in force

mostly in Monday morning overalls

But a few had obviously come straight from the landslip site

mud up to above their knees

post-22449-0-57381600-1396678483.jpg

With their own compound retreat

Complete with pasty van supplied by a well known shop in Dawlish

post-22449-0-04621700-1396678655.jpg

interesting poster

post-22449-0-02077400-1396678775.jpg

post-22449-0-85216600-1396678823.jpg

post-22449-0-71480600-1396678865.jpg

there was such a crowd down at the front Station entrance I could not get the wheelchair through

post-22449-0-97388000-1396679068.jpg

so

I saw that the 2 local fire engines were about to slowly move out

so I tucked in behind & they cleared a way through the crowd

Brilliant

Edited by Granitechops
  • Like 6