Washout at Dawlish

• RMweb Gold

Never heard the expression, except with regard to the older type of EMU on the Southern...

Anyway, the Special Working arrangements over the Down line were invoked for a couple of hours this morning as a precaution, following our standard weather forecasting system highlighting sea conditions that warrented it. There was also minor track flooding on the up line in the station area, which required a speed restriction to be put in place for a short time, until the water subsided. No other reports of any serious damage.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I do recall it but it was not a wide spread term as I recall.

They seemed to be fairly widely loathed by bashers in the early 80's around the Western though for obvious reasons.

Isn't it funny how things change!

• RMweb Gold

.... Especially given the comment on Colin Marsden's site:

"As a safety move, Class 220 and 221 stock was stopped from working over the sea wall during the main high tide period to avoid sets being overcome by water, however the good old HSTs kept running" :)

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Dawlish storms on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNJt39c83Ns

And some pictures on Colin Marsden's site: http://www.dawlishtrains.com/november-2014.html

Thanks for that, the video footage looks useful, although the words used are misleading - Once more Dawlish station and sea wall take a pounding from huge waves. A train struggles to get through the station. Massive sea rig trying to rebuild the sea wall stands firm. Is this the norm now for Dawlish?

The train was not struggling, it was observing the 5 mph Emergency Speed Restriction imposed in accordance with the Rules & Regulations, due to the flood water seen in the four foot of the Up Main Line.

Yes, the storm looked quite spectacular, but this kind of storm is already the 'norm' for Dawlish and has been for many years, we typically get 4 - 5 events like this each Winter. This particular storm was a complete pussey when compared with those of February earlier this year...

• RMweb Gold

.... Especially given the comment on Colin Marsden's site:

"As a safety move, Class 220 and 221 stock was stopped from working over the sea wall during the main high tide period to avoid sets being overcome by water, however the good old HSTs kept running" :)

And yes, our thanks to Mr Marsden, the Voyagers were withdrawn by CrossCountry Trains, in accordance with the existing industry protocol. The HSTs kept running in accordance with the same protocol...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

And yes, our thanks to Mr Marsden, the Voyagers were withdrawn by CrossCountry Trains, in accordance with the existing industry protocol. The HSTs kept running in accordance with the same protocol...

As a matter of interest what does the protocol state and how does it differentiate between what can run and can't run?

• RMweb Premium

HSTs have been known to many in a certain section of the enthusiast fraternity as "trams" for as long as they have graced our railways.  It's not a universal term in the way that perhaps "duff" is for a class 47 but it's quite widespread.  I've heard it used at Penzance and Inverness - about as far apart as you can get on their territory.

Yesterday's storm seemed well within the bounds of normality for a winter sou'wester.  It always looks dramatic but why does Dawlish get all the attention when Saltcoats and the Cambrian / Cumbrian coasts don't?  they are affected just as much and al least on the Saltcoats section the effect is every bit as dramatic - plus that's electrified.  Google "Train Saltcoats" for images.

Voyagers have problems with sea-water ingress in storms which I believe relates to air intakes on the roof.  As such they are not permitted past Dawlish when high seas break over the railway.  HST and DMU classes don't suffer the same problems and are often allowed past as the Captain says at 5mph.  If the down line becomes blocked there is the option to run a limited service in both directions over the up (and indeed vice versa) though if it's too dangerous then the line closes until things calm down and the track is checked.

It appears that the gold reserves of a sizeable nation are going to be stored in Teignmouth car park. The huge 8"x2" posts have gone across from the station to the road and are now going around most of the perimeter. Appear to be 8' high and 8' apart.

Be interesting to see what is stored in this area. It can't just be for CK's car.

• RMweb Gold

A little bird has told me that within the past week or two some of Govt deputation visited the Okehampton line by means of a special train from Exeter.  And this was understood by someone claiming to be in the know that they were looking at the line with a view to restoring a through link to Plymouth.  the same source has also reportedly said that Meldon viaduct is in perfectly good condition 'to be restored to railway use and could take trains from tomorrow' - I think that might be more than a little optimistic in view of it current lack of track and the fact that the weight of the present footpath is spread across both of the viaduct structures.

Beware Mike, it may be a mocking bird but at least its not April Fools Day! However, any titbit like this is fair game and it always hooks me but over the course of this thread, those much more knowledgeable than I have indicated that it has drawbacks which are well known. But that does not mean it can't be done providing the will and the money are forthcoming. If indeed the passengers were from the government, then perhaps there is credibility to the bird's tale.

Brian.