Washout at Dawlish

• RMweb Gold

Lunchtime Spotlight said that all trains were running, except Cross Country Voyagers and that Dawlish Station was closed due to an unsafe roof, damaged by the over topping waves.

It seems that a panel on the canopy or roof had become loose, probably due to the winds, and a precautionary station closure had been requested by the BT Police, but was reopened shortly afterwards. Trains did not stop running during this time.

Thursday 13th November 2014

came through Dawlish this morning at 11.30 ish

Wild winds were driving foam off the wave tops under the Viaduct

it looked like a snow storm

the police had apparently cordened off access under the viaduct earlier 

but the wind had shredded the tape!!!

pics taken from stills from videos taken on my tablet

post-22449-0-83495400-1415903547_thumb.jpg

post-22449-0-93626600-1415903566_thumb.jpg

post-22449-0-87760100-1415903766_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

What me in a wheelchair?

earlier today I was at Polly Steps carpark Teignmouth

there was a tug alongside the Quay, the "Boojum Bay"

with a flat pontoon  "Bobs Box" 

post-22449-0-66941500-1415917995_thumb.jpg

Doubt if they put to sea in this weather 

as the seas off Dawlish were still 'creaming'

post-22449-0-74952000-1415918087_thumb.jpg

but looks like they might have been getting ready to load a cargo of 

heavy timbers for destination Dawlish seafront, that were stacked on the Quay

post-22449-0-84731200-1415918018_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Good movie 'One Of Our Cyclists Is Missing'.

I mujst admit that as I watched that clip I was wondering if he would have dissapeared by the time the 150 had gone past but then sure enough he was there being hit by a large wave.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

Teignmouth fencing club is growing.

Today the wall alongside the carpark in Myrtle Hill (the road to Dawlish) fence posts are being bolted to the wall. The compound is now nearly completely encircled in fence posts.

Suggestions on the back of a postage stamp please for what will happen/be stored here.

I have made enquiries and you must accept that you did ask what was going to be stored in there....

The compound is nothing to do with the railways, it's for SW Water, who are constructing an underground sewage reservoir under the car park, some 6 metres down. This is being done to comply with legislation regarding sewage outfall into the sea. It is due to be completed next March, apparently.

I have made enquiries and you must accept that you did ask what was going to be stored in there....

The compound is nothing to do with the railways, it's for SW Water, who are constructing an underground sewage reservoir under the car park, some 6 metres down. This is being done to comply with legislation regarding sewage outfall into the sea. It is due to be completed next March, apparently.

That was why they were drilling there earlier this year.

Cheers CK

...Wild winds were driving foam off the wave tops under the Viaduct, it looked like a snow storm; the police had apparently cordoned off access under the viaduct earlier but the wind had shredded the tape!...

Perhaps the UK should make a submission for an ecological sensitivity award, suggested text:

Despite extensive works to the coastline in this location, both the natural systems that supply the wind and the seawater are undamaged; and still fully capable of doing everything they previously accomplished.

• Like 2

The hst's have been in a bad shape for a while now. Belly panels and the supporting structure are dis-similar metals, subjected to a lot of damage from sewage and debris. They have had little planned maintenance since the last working project in the early 90's I believe. First are addressing this with an ongoing programme of reskinning and framing the belly panels.

• 2 weeks later...

Teignmouth fencing club is growing.

Today the wall alongside the carpark in Myrtle Hill (the road to Dawlish) fence posts are being bolted to the wall. The compound is now nearly completely encircled in fence posts.

Suggestions on the back of a postage stamp please for what will happen/be stored here.

Messroom gossip is that CK has asked to be paid in used £20 notes instead of bank transfer, this will make it easier for him to send the money onto the Cayman Islands so he can avoid all those nasty taxes! :sungum:

• Like 1

That's better! It was starting to get a little lonely in here.

I've lurked here since early February, thoroughly impressed by the way the washout was dealt with - not just by the Orange Army, but also by all those behind the scenes. I can only begin to imagine the work that went into planning, sourcing, logistics, scheduling,etc., and I tip my hat to all the people involved.

Before this thread fades away completely I have to say it has provided an amazing amount of inside information, for which I would like to thank all the posters; I have to single out Captain Kernow  for his 'deep throat' detail, and Granitechops for the amazing number of pics, and for his man-on-the-spot investigative journalism. Great job, guys!

• Like 2

Catch up time

earlier in Nov. 10th 12th?

bit of a rough sea left this debris of mainly shingle off the beach,

thrown up   behind The Pirates Chest cafe by the viaduct

post-22449-0-37070400-1417384275_thumb.jpg

in among it was a small amount of ballast from the track above,

washed out from just where the Resin 'glued' section ended

not much, but enough to see that the resin, here, had done its job

glued section to the left, unglued to the right

post-22449-0-93443600-1417384476_thumb.jpg

the compound at the north end of the Dawlish town Station car park is srtill in use

but not much sign of activity

post-22449-0-29238000-1417384574_thumb.jpg

the steel rail used as a car park barrier is showing definite signs of corrosion

shows how much sea spray from the waves reaches right over the station buildings

post-22449-0-14924900-1417384682_thumb.jpg

rough day on the 14th Nov., notice how high the beach is on the breakwater

nearly up to the top mortar level, ( bottom Right)

post-22449-0-63997100-1417384888_thumb.jpg

heap of seaweed on the breakwater on the 19th nov,

notice the beach level has just started to drop

post-22449-0-94949300-1417385054_thumb.jpg

men at work on the 19th, putting up a new fence,

they had to dig down 18 inches of shingle to get to the concrete slipway

post-22449-0-91356600-1417385206_thumb.jpg

further progress on the 20th

post-22449-0-21171200-1417385421_thumb.jpg

if they could have waited a few days, they could have saved themselves some digging

as the tides lowered the beach again ( note level at breakwater)

EDIT

earlier in the year the barrier had been at the far end of the slipway, by the top of the breakwater

thus allowing access to the beach via the bottom of the slipway  cill & steps when the beach was low.

but when the Terex dumper was rescued it was initially parked up on the slipway in front of the old lifeboat station

so the barrier was was moved back towards the town cutting off public access to the beach from this end

A lot of dog walkers were a bit miffed about this, but with the new fence, access is restored, 

much safer if the tide is incoming and they cant return to the other end of the beach

the tide on this stretch hits the seawall in the middle first cutting the usable beach in half

post-22449-0-42512800-1417385512_thumb.jpg

it appears the sand/shingle has moved south

back to the breakwater & slipway by the viaduct again (29th)

post-22449-0-13425700-1417385726_thumb.jpg

Friday 28th, compound at Redrock cleared of all scrap containers previously scrapped

post-22449-0-57006700-1417386011_thumb.jpg

& same day stack of shuttering same as was previously used

for the walkway foundation slab, ready for transporting to site

post-22449-0-81006700-1417386169_thumb.jpg

by Sun today 30th, 3 more containers have appeared in the redrock compound

these appear much more structurally sound,

so must have had to been emptied differently to the previous ones that had rotted out

post-22449-0-96299400-1417386316_thumb.jpg

plus 4 skips of rubbish, perhaps separated from any reusable rock/shingle/sand

that had been in the containers, as I expect back in Feb,

anything to hand was tipped into those containers

post-22449-0-94373900-1417386611_thumb.jpg

more to follow, but not tonight

Edited by Granitechops
  • Like 4