Washout at Dawlish

Thanks Rich. BBC journalism at its best here...

"Rail bosses are considering five route options after the South West link was destroyed by storms."

A plane is usually destroyed if it flies into a mountain. The railway line at Dawlish was damaged and as Network Rail is demonstrating, repairs are not exactly impossible...

Edited by Pete_S

• RMweb Gold

BBC website now has a 'Report to MPs on Dawlish alternatives'........

More drivel and posturing. What do these political people expect regarding Dawlish...a magic wand....

..all this negativity ..... wailing on about the *****ing obvious

Edited by Re6/6

At least there's no shortage of water to dilute the PVA, I'll get worried when I see a 45 gallon drum of fairy liquid, to act as the wetting agent, appear on the webcam.

Jamie

At least if any spilt the sea would soon froth it up and the whole site and Dawlish would get an early spring clean.

may be a small rail tanker would be enough then ?   oh forget that as local rail services are cancelled for some strange reason :no:

any way least cam site shot.

post-14408-0-68735300-1393432754_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

BBC website now has a 'Report to MPs on Dawlish alternatives' linking to a Network Rail document showing 5 possible options and including some good photos of the work. The C1-C3 Dawlish Avoiding routes routes would be very close to where I live...! 

Hi Rich

You beat me to it. :thankyou:

SS

• RMweb Premium

I've just seen what I thought was an excellent segmewnt on BBC News.  It showed not only the big breach but showed the work on the parapet wall on the other sections.  I thought it was balanced and supportive of the good work of the engineers.  It was also interesting to see that the concete pouring is now on only about half the area.  The footpath now appears to be up to it's full height and they were busy pouring on the next lift which is just the width of the trackbed.  Hopefully this means that each lft now will be a lot quicker.  All in all a good report.

Jamie

Sounds like a very sensible idea from someone at NR. They know that the politicians and press are going to be asking questions about an alternative route, so finding out the condition of routes that have previously been used to enable them to accurately answer these questions is appropriate. 

Yes - I think it's basically so NR will know the definitive answer to future Q's which are bound to be asked.

Yes - it'll cost this

No - it'll cost that and that's just too much money.

etc, etc

Just as an aside, NR do have a significant examination & maintenance responsibility of structures on closed lines.

Edit: Shite gramma  :no:

Edited by Southernman46
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

According to the Spotlight news CK and his talented crew are progressing the work,well and that may well mean that the service is up and running 2 days early. Very well done chaps, all 300 odd of you.

One item that I was unaware of is that there were a number minor slips at the Teignmouth end of the seawall in the vicinity of last year's slips.

SS

• Like 1

At least there's no shortage of water to dilute the PVA, I'll get worried when I see a 45 gallon drum of fairy liquid, to act as the wetting agent, appear on the webcam.

Jamie

It's the size of the pipette I'd be even more worried about...

• RMweb Premium

It's the size of the pipette I'd be even more worried about...

As an O gauge modeller who uses a fairy liquid bottle it's what they're going to use to hold the bottle up and squeeze it that bothers me.  However that big red spider thing could possibly pump dilute wetted PVA as well as it does concrete.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Rich. BBC journalism at its best here...

"Rail bosses are considering five route options after the South West link was destroyed by storms."

A plane is usually destroyed if it flies into a mountain. The railway line at Dawlish was damaged and as Network Rail is demonstrating, repairs are not exactly impossible...

Not the best choice of words; broken would have been rather more appropriate.

However, the damage to the railway line at Dawlish clearly resulted from the destruction of a section of the wall that supported it.

If one of the options put forward by Network Rail came to fruition, it would seem certain that any of the short inland "bypasses" would seal the fate of the coastal route (as we know it) in a way that a restored secondary route across Dartmoor, which would only carry the main Plymouth and Cornwall traffic in times of trouble, probably wouldn't.

It will be very interesting, in due course, to see how the projected costs of the various alternatives compare with the much-trumpeted estimate of £500m -700m for the ex-LSWR route. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

Interesting that the majority of pictures are of the Teignmouth to Parsons Tunnel section.(Good pictures but bad news room editing)

Presumably the wire and post fencing which is shown in a couple of the pictures (H & S) will disappear once the work has finished ?

• RMweb Gold

If one of the options put forward by Network Rail came to fruition, it would seem certain that any of the short inland "bypasses" would seal the fate of the coastal route (as we know it) in a way that a restored secondary route across Dartmoor, which would only carry the main Plymouth and Cornwall traffic in times of trouble, probably wouldn't.

It will be very interesting, in due course, to see how the projected costs of the various alternatives compare with the much-trumpeted estimate of £700m for the ex-LSWR route. 

John

I know we should avoid frothing over the various routes - but....!

Plymouth Chamber of Commerce have been 'agitating' for a 3 hour London-Plymouth journey time. The Dawlish inland routes would seem to be the only option(s) able to deliver this as they would most likely built for higher running speed than the coastal route. They would also enable (hopefully) electrification in some dim & distant future. I'm unsure what the phrase in that NR document 'current level of trains via Dawlish route could be maintained' implies - keeping the route for local traffic perhaps? Reduced traffic might allow 'strategic singling' to give a wider buffer zone between the track & sea wall.

EDIT - I don't think the Exeter - Heathfield (Teign Valley) route would be viable as a replacement main line - lots of development at the Exeter end, original line single & obscured by A38 in places. It would effectively be a completely new line, not re-using the original.

It's interesting that all the Dawlish inland routes look (on the NR map) like they also bypass the Teign estuary riverside, going slightly inland to Newton Abbot. I remember some discussion earlier about the 1930s GWR proposal coming in via what is now the racecourse - but there's been a lot of development around Kingsteignton.

I've been trying to overlay the NR map onto an OS map (to see how close the proposals actually get to where we live), but the NR map seems to be copied from a rail atlas which doesn't follow the actual geographical layout very well! If I get Exeter, Dawlish & Teignmouth superimposed, Starcross on the NR map seems to be half way across the Exe estuary...!

Edited by Ramblin Rich

• RMweb Premium

I noticed in some of the recent pictures that some of the houses at Dawlish appear to have lost some rendering and in one case an entire window frame leaving the interior open to the elements. I hope this has been dealt with.

• RMweb Gold

I noticed in some of the recent pictures that some of the houses at Dawlish appear to have lost some rendering and in one case an entire window frame leaving the interior open to the elements. I hope this has been dealt with.

No, not at all, I think you're referring to that house on Riviera Terrace. I was talking to someone who lives close by, and apparantly the insurance company of that poor family haven't even sent an assessor down yet, some 3 weeks after it happened...

They also tried to get their car insurance to fund a hire car, whilst theirs was trapped on the wrong side of the hole, but that insurer apparently declined, on the grounds that their car wasn't actually damaged...

I've been trying to overlay the NR map onto an OS map (to see how close the proposals actually get to where we live), but the NR map seems to be copied from a rail atlas which doesn't follow the actual geographical layout very well! If I get Exeter, Dawlish & Teignmouth superimposed, Starcross on the NR map seems to be half way across the Exe estuary...!

Rich - the best I can recommend is to try overlaying the map at the back of the Peter Kay 'Exeter to Newton Abbot - a Railway History' book over an O/S map...

• RMweb Gold

Tim (CK) - afraid I haven't seen that book; it was idle curiosity that got me started on the online maps.. It's very much "blue (grey?) sky thinking" at the moment anyway. ;)

I can't imagine what that poor family in the damaged house are going through - many more affected too, but that does seem churlishly indifferent on the insurers part...

The insurance industry does not often cover itself in glory.

Three years after the Christchurch NZ earthquake less than 10% of claims have been settled, but it was a very large event, and total replacement or standard full cover policies do have a lot of 'issues' when land and infrastructure is not necessarily ok.  And some people WILL argue...

I'm rather glad I left after the event and was able to sell my slightly-damaged house down there. 

But it's way off-thread.

• RMweb Gold

Okey dokey, here are some photos from my site visit today.

I had planned to visit site today for some time, and coincidentally, it was the media visit day as well, so as it turned out, the colleague I was planning to visit was participating in the media event, so I just tagged along too... ;)  (actually, it was rather enjoyable).

First of all, some images of the large compound now established in most of the big car park at Dawlish Warren - this reflects just how serious and big a project this is:

post-57-0-00229600-1393455146.jpg

post-57-0-83740500-1393455156.jpg

post-57-0-92755800-1393455178.jpg

How kind - they managed to spare me a complete Portacabin for myself!! :D

post-57-0-07138900-1393455223.jpg

The visiting media group were first conveyed to the Teignmouth end, and from there, we walked along the wall to Smugglers Cove, stopping many times for photos, briefings and filming opportunities.

It was a superb day for it:

post-57-0-35466000-1393455341.jpg

Some of the group:

post-57-0-83635000-1393455356.jpg

Damage to the walkway, and the start of repairs, near Teignmouth:

post-57-0-18893100-1393455307.jpg

post-57-0-57755100-1393455321.jpg

One of the many minor landslips (there are some larger ones, too), that need to be dealt with, this one is near Sprey Point:

post-57-0-30544500-1393455400.jpg

Serious damage to one of the main ramps at Sprey Point:

post-57-0-62630400-1393455447.jpg

post-57-0-51136800-1393455563.jpg

Media taking an interest in said serious damage:

post-57-0-21642400-1393455474.jpg

View looking back towards Teignmouth from Sprey Point:

post-57-0-57318500-1393455507.jpg

Looking eastwards towards Smugglers Cove and Parsons Tunnel:

post-57-0-66602900-1393455594.jpg

post-57-0-97328800-1393455610.jpg

More damage to the walkway:

post-57-0-04905600-1393455646.jpg

Some of the now missing parapet wall, that must be replaced before the line can reopen:

post-57-0-98622900-1393455693.jpg

Parsons Tunnel in the distance:

post-57-0-68703600-1393455730.jpg

More walkway and/or parapet damage (we are now part-way between Sprey Point and Smugglers):

post-57-0-50552200-1393455782.jpg

post-57-0-43920000-1393455798.jpg

post-57-0-52430700-1393455813.jpg

The BBC 'Spotlight' camerman and reporter in action:

post-57-0-36626700-1393455854.jpg

post-57-0-13308100-1393455875.jpg

Cross-section of damaged parapet wall:

post-57-0-46610200-1393455902.jpg

More photos in next post.

• RMweb Gold

BBC website now has a 'Report to MPs on Dawlish alternatives' linking to a Network Rail document showing 5 possible options and including some good photos of the work. The C1-C3 Dawlish Avoiding routes routes would be very close to where I live...! 

Thanks for the NR document - quite interesting and good to see some of the old favourites are being tackled (again in a couple of cases).  C1 and C2 are the original and amended GWR routes, C3 would seem to be completely new - time will tell what will emerge.

Edit - correction the Dawlish Warren (now C3) route was one considered by the GWR in the 1930s.

Edited by The Stationmaster

• RMweb Gold

Tim (CK) - afraid I haven't seen that book; it was idle curiosity that got me started on the online maps.. It's very much "blue (grey?) sky thinking" at the moment anyway. ;)

I can't imagine what that poor family in the damaged house are going through - many more affected too, but that does seem churlishly indifferent on the insurers part...

The source mentioned by the Cap'n is definitely the one to find (local library?) as C1 & C2 seem to be pretty near to the original proposals as mentioned above.

Edit to add details -

Exeter - Newton Abbot A railway History by Peter Kay, published by Platform 5 in 1993

Edited by The Stationmaster

• RMweb Gold

OK, more photos.

More damage to parapet wall (just to underline exactly how much of this kind of damage there is):

post-57-0-65640200-1393456008.jpg

Workers in safety harnesses:

post-57-0-19549800-1393456027.jpg

Looking back towards Teignmouth:

post-57-0-81266800-1393456044.jpg

Drilling vertical holes in the base of the parapet wall:

post-57-0-83752100-1393456080.jpg

Steel pins are anchored in these holes, and these in turn will secure the new portions of parapet wall, which will be made from reinforced concrete, with a stone masonry pattern moulded on the walkway-side:

post-57-0-87890000-1393456133.jpg

One of the steel reinforcement sections for a piece of new parapet wall, being fabricated, in a spare bit of space next to the up line. It is on it's side, and will be turned over to vertical and then attached to the vertical steel pins, then concrete will be poured to form the new section of parapet wall:

post-57-0-12137000-1393456213.jpg

Site of one of the bigger landslips, near Smugglers:

post-57-0-71275900-1393456249.jpg

post-57-0-47646300-1393456264.jpg

post-57-0-41063300-1393456292.jpg

Some vegetation management was also being done here:

post-57-0-00835500-1393456323.jpg

Another landslip:

post-57-0-90387600-1393456343.jpg

Pre-cast reinforced concrete units for parapet wall repairs:

post-57-0-52159900-1393456381.jpg

Parsons Tunnel:

post-57-0-36876800-1393456409.jpg

post-57-0-99267000-1393456424.jpg

post-57-0-13592000-1393456438.jpg

Smugglers Cove - notice all the debris washed up:

post-57-0-30838400-1393456461.jpg

And a sea of orange walks up Smugglers Lane to pick up the transport onwards to Dawlish:

post-57-0-02579600-1393456494.jpg

More photos in next post.