Washout at Dawlish

• RMweb Gold

The massed ranks of colas, the fire brigade, NR and other accumylated vehicles are gathering in Teignmouth station carpark in a cordonned works site

I suspect this is in connection with the planned relaying and reballasting of the earthslip site between Sprey Point and Smugglers Cove this weekend. All the spoil has now been removed from the track and the high fence posts for the catchment fences have been restored. The site is virtually ready for Amey Colas to move in there tonight to do the relaying. I can confirm the 5 engineering trains that Martyn mentioned above, they are due into the possession between 0030 Saturday and 0230 Saturday, and will exit between 1700 Saturday and 0900 Monday.

• Like 3

I suspect this is in connection with the planned relaying and reballasting of the earthslip site between Sprey Point and Smugglers Cove this weekend. All the spoil has now been removed from the track and the high fence posts for the catchment fences have been restored. The site is virtually ready for Amey Colas to move in there tonight to do the relaying. I can confirm the 5 engineering trains that Martyn mentioned above, they are due into the possession between 0030 Saturday and 0230 Saturday, and will exit between 1700 Saturday and 0900 Monday.

Have you made Neptune aware of this relaying CK? As the waves seem to be increasing this afternoon and giving the sea wall a good soaking (feeling rather sorry for those trying to work on the wall while getting a soaking this afternoon - although I noticed the webcam seems to be getting some attention including a cheeky wave for the camera! )

http://www.dawlishbeach.com/live/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=18&zenid=a69de349560bd05cb1792764dba3130e

Anyway, I hope this weather doesn't play havoc too much with the teams schedules - keep up the good work!  

Oh and just as I post this, the sun starts coming out in Dawlish, and the rain starts to pour here in Hampshire!

post-7515-0-86612500-1396021150_thumb.png

post-7515-0-05980100-1396021153_thumb.png

post-7515-0-09544000-1396021155_thumb.png

• Like 2

Hi,  New to this forum

been following the events through various media since the first storm Feb 4th

saw a Youtube upload from someones phone from the first train stopped by the waves just after lunch that day

Today I just got back from Teignmouth, observing two RRVs loading gear for renewal of track tonight

the guy I spoke to said ( If I remember correctly )

that they would be renewing 80 chains of one track & 60 chains of the other

post-22449-0-85227500-1396035744.jpg

post-22449-0-88753400-1396035832.jpg

post-22449-0-76792600-1396035875.jpg

CW rail in Down track outside of  Newton end of Teignmouth Station

post-22449-0-34611400-1396036025.jpg

post-22449-0-29900200-1396035941.jpg

Edited by Granitechops
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Hi CK

Has the status of the site changed from construction site back to a CE. possession? or is the Dawlish site a construction site and Smugglers Cove / Sprey Point a possession.

Thanks SS

I just finished up working 2 nights there and was informed it was becoming a T3 possession early this morning.

(Usual disclaimers apply)

Edited by Gary H

• RMweb Premium

Hi,  New to this forum

been following the events through various media since the first storm Feb 4th

saw a Youtube upload from someones phone from the first train stopped by the waves just after lunch that day

Today I just got back from Teignmouth, observing two RRVs loading gear for renewal of track tonight

Christ, thats 1 and 3/4 mile's then! :O

Maybe it was 8 and 6 chain?

• RMweb Gold

ive just recieved details of the temporary signalling arrangements for when the line reopens, extended block working with damaged signals bagged over and others modified to suit the situation

Jolly good - probably what I sent to your Guv'nor earlier today?

• RMweb Gold

Hi CK

Has the status of the site changed from construction site back to a CE. possession? or is the Dawlish site a construction site and Smugglers Cove / Sprey Point a possession.

Thanks SS

The whole possession is now back to traditional 'railway environment', including the forthcoming Smugglers Cove relaying site.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Granitechops,

The official documentation for this worksite conforms with what I know of the site limits, which is 20 chains of relaying on the Up and 14 chains on the down, so this is what it will be.

Cheers.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Granitechops,

The official documentation for this worksite conforms with what I know of the site limits, which is 20 chains of relaying on the Up and 14 chains on the down, so this is what it will be.

Cheers.

Got all weekend to do it aswel, should be a piece of cake! (or pastie / pasty).

Edited by Gary H
  • Like 1

Hi Granitechops,

Cheers.

I obviously didnt hear correctly, blame my hearing aids

Edited by Granitechops

• RMweb Premium

Presume the footpaths alongside are still closed at present?

As far as i know, there's still on going work to finish repairs at various sites along the wall , between Dawlish and Dawlish Warren Martyn (maybe some others to) . A  colleague (fencing suppervisor) along with some contractors are renewing the complete steel fence between the Station and Kennaway tunnel on the seaward side this weekend. This was in the pipeline to be done anyway before the storm early in Febuary.

According to the security guys I talked to last week, they reckoned that the beach will be closed for 12 months,

"Building Site" they said

There is of course a lot of work to do on the outside of sea walls & there is talk of possible outer  sea defence works 

Now theres an interesting question for those that know.

The old seawall remains visible on the Dawlish beach web cam for instance,

about 40- 60 ft or maybe more out from the present railway seawall, 

was that part of Brunel's  protective works while building the original railway infrastructure 

from a distance they appear to be 3-4 foot thick

so  were they originally much higher just for the building stage

& then lowered because of pressure from local council afraid of the view being spoilt for tourists?

Are there any existing archive documents of the original works?

Pictures of 20 wagon ballast train at Dawlish Warren on 25 th March

post-22449-0-09159500-1396044435.jpg

post-22449-0-53829200-1396044491.jpg

post-22449-0-92947700-1396044526.jpg

Question ( I am NOT a rail expert, just a keen observer)

there was just one ballast wagon with this auxilliary power unit on it,    Purpose?

post-22449-0-76228800-1396044701.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

there was just one ballast wagon with this auxilliary power unit on it,    Purpose?

These are known as autohoppers, and they use powered equipment to discharge the ballast via the chutes you see. They are marshalled into semi-permanent rakes of 5, and each rake of 5 has its own power unit, which is what you see in your photo.

• RMweb Premium

The South West Coast Path Association has suggested that the beach paths will not be available until late summer at the earliest, if at all this season.  

There is still significant work to be done at many locations and the removal of the containers to manage.

While the breach has been closed and the railway restored in a remarkable time such extensive resources cannot be justified in terms of the lesser works.  The post-3305-0-99842000-1396046160.gif Orange Army must perforce move on to other tasks.

Individual lengths of the beach paths might become available but not as a through route.  For those like myself who have a specific interest in walking the SWCP (for the record I have competed 540 miles and have 90 to go) the high tide route above the cliffs which has always been the route when the tide is in remains open and will be the official route at all times until the works at beach level are complete.

Edited by Gwiwer

• RMweb Gold

According to the security guys I talked to last week, they reckoned that the beach will be closed for 12 months,

"Building Site" they said

There is of course a lot of work to do on the outside of sea walls & there is talk of possible outer  sea defence works 

I think that's likely to be just their opinion. I don't think that any official decisions have been taken on this yet, it will depend on how the remaining repairs go (ie. the ones that can be done with the railway running). I doubt very much that the beach and public walkway would be closed for that length of time, given that everyone is very sensitive to the effect of the February storms on this summers tourist season.

Talk of 'possible outer sea defence works' is really still just that - 'talk', although there are 'official' discussions taking place now on how to defend the Sea Wall in the future, this forming part of the governmental review that was announced previously.

Now theres an interesting question for those that know.

The old seawall remains visible on the Dawlish beach web cam for instance,

about 40- 60 ft or maybe more out from the present railway seawall, 

was that part of Brunel's  protective works while building the original railway infrastructure 

from a distance they appear to be 3-4 foot thick

so  were they originally much higher just for the building stage

& then lowered because of pressure from local council afraid of the view being spoilt for tourists?

Are there any existing archive documents of the original works?

I'll have to have a look at that, hadn't spotted it before. Apart from a few known stone structures, I'm not aware of anything running in parallel to the main wall, that distance out. Archive sources (the Peter Kay book) don't really say anything about that, from memory, but I can make enquiries at work...

• RMweb Gold

The South West Coast Path Association has suggested that the beach paths will not be available until late summer at the earliest, if at all this season.  

There is still significant work to be done at many locations and the removal of the containers to manage.

While the breach has been closed and the railway restored in a remarkable time such extensive resources cannot be justified in terms of the lesser works.  The attachicon.gifCK.gif Orange Army must perforce move on to other tasks.

Individual lengths of the beach paths might become available but not as a through route.  

I can see that I'm going to have to make those further enquiries, although the full answer may not yet be known, all effort is rightly going into getting the railway itself open asap, also restoring the road surface to Sea Lawn Terrace. Non-rail critical works to repair storm damage will continue in parallel throughout next week and after the railway reopens.

• Like 4