Washout at Dawlish

• RMweb Premium

post-3305-0-72426900-1396139653.gif Seaton Trawmway reopened yesterday over its full length.  While their breach was smaller they also didn't have any sort of Orange Army and have relied largely upon volunteer and their own very limited staff resources.  It is once again possible to ride something over half the original length of the Seaton branch by tram.

Today Seaton - tomorrow Dawlish.  Apart from the northern Cambrian Coast closure are there any other significant breaches still under repair?

• Like 8

attachicon.gifOrange.gif Seaton Trawmway reopened yesterday over its full length.  While their breach was smaller they also didn't have any sort of Orange Army and have relied largely upon volunteer and their own very limited staff resources.  It is once again possible to ride something over half the original length of the Seaton branch by tram.

Today Seaton - tomorrow Dawlish.  Apart from the northern Cambrian Coast closure are there any other significant breaches still under repair?

Between Tonbridge and Hastings, I believe there are still several embankments under repair; Network Rail aren't posting any date for the resumption of rail services on their web page.

Granitechops' wall

Originally illustrated here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/81949-washout-at-dawlish/?p=1399277

I've looked and can't find anything in the books I have from tjhis precise area around the washout.and none of them have pix of the area in question.

But I do have the 1888 six inch map of the area (I think I also CK has a copy from Wycrail in 2010) and there is no parallel-to-shore structure as shown. The groynes are shown, the more substantial breakwaters are shown, the lieboat and coastguard stations are shown but no structure offshore parallel to the railway.

Hence I can only assume it's a later addition.

As to what it is, or precisely when it was put the or for what purpose, haven't a clue. But I would be reasonably sure that it's nothing to do with the construction of the line.

On page two of this mammoth thread I posted a couple of pictures of the beach, one of them, taken alongside the down platform shows the parallel structure,

and where the concrete has corroded/decayed you can clearly see the pipe   

cheers

On page two of this mammoth thread I posted a couple of pictures of the beach, one of them, taken alongside the down platform shows the parallel structure,

and where the concrete has corroded/decayed you can clearly see the pipe   

cheers

Hi Rivercider,

must have missed those pics when I started to read through ( havent read all 90 pages yet)

I am in Dawlish frequently, but for some reason did not get to the seafront in January, or I  would have seen that for myself, great photos

of course theTown sea front is still closed off

But Dawlish Warren was buzzing with people this afternoon

NOTE Warren car park is still FREE on sundays till 17th April according to Teigbridge DC notices

BUT do read the signs before you park!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Granitechops
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Nice little sideline with that.

"Hello guv fancy an aerial photo of your house?"

That's exactly what these lads do - their company is based on Torquay and they work for various organisations apart from NR. Apparently the Church of England use them to inspect high spires etc. (beats climbing up one, AFAIC!).

• RMweb Premium

That's exactly what these lads do - their company is based on Torquay and they work for various organisations apart from NR. Apparently the Church of England use them to inspect high spires etc. (beats climbing up one, AFAIC!).

Perhaps we should rename the flying thingy

Fred Dibnah!

Edited by rab
  • Like 1

The good captain must be at work seven days a week the way he and others have completed the various projects in the Sou West ,will he receive the freedom of Dawlish? Also how is the main line that was flooded near the levels ,did it need much work to bring it back to scratch?

• Like 1

The Freedom of The Somerset Levels, mmmm, not sure about that one.  Too many sheep could be involved and Zummerzet is not renowned for pasties.  Bearing in mind Somerset was closed much earlier than Dawlish was, I think the Cap'n may not be so welcome there.  He had no whirly, buzzy, spidery, pumping thingies and allowed the Dutch to get in there with their massive 'blast the opposite banks away' pumps.

Oh, on second thoughts, Dutch?  Orange?  Maybe he was involved!

• RMweb Premium

The Freedom of The Somerset Levels, mmmm, not sure about that one.  Too many sheep could be involved and Zummerzet is not renowned for pasties.  Bearing in mind Somerset was closed much earlier than Dawlish was, I think the Cap'n may not be so welcome there.  He had no whirly, buzzy, spidery, pumping thingies and allowed the Dutch to get in there with their massive 'blast the opposite banks away' pumps.

Oh, on second thoughts, Dutch?  Orange?  Maybe he was involved!

It's all this talk of sheep and men in wellies that worries me.!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

It's amazing what can be done in such a short amount of time when there is a will to do it and using modern equipment such as the red spidery leg thingy, the hovering rotor camera thingy and the orange two legged wachamacallit. There are a few projects and companies that can learn a lot from the Orange Army.

Fantastic work Captain Kernow and gang. Now I can't wait to walk along the seawall again soon.

And a new icon. post-8259-0-40653900-1396240738.gif

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

It's amazing what can be done in such a short amount of time when there is a will to do it and using modern equipment such as the red spidery leg thingy, the hovering rotor camera thingy and the orange two legged wachamacallit. There are a few projects and companies that can learn a lot from the Orange Army.

Fantastic work Captain Kernow and gang. Now I can't wait to walk along the seawall again soon.

And a new icon. attachicon.giforange army ck pasties.gif

Should that icon be eating a pastie?

One assumes that Dawlish station will be fully accessible by Friday?

at the moment the ramp access for prams, buggys, Granma's  stroller, not to forget wheelchairs, 

is inside the NWR compound

Just wondering as I am biased being in a wheelchair!

On Dawlish Warren Beach yesterday

( with the detatchable tandem seat behind)

post-22449-0-66329900-1396255306.jpg

Edited by Granitechops
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just heard  ... that a Dawlish gardeners group

are involved in "sprucing up the Station"

One hopes that they are able to display more species than just Spruce.   :jester:

Some orange flowers might be nice ;)

• Like 1