Washout at Dawlish

Overlooked these pics from Saturday morning 29th March

Cramped conditions at Teignmouth

post-22449-0-62531700-1396261098.jpg

post-22449-0-48549200-1396261159.jpg

Dawlish Station bridge, beach access

post-22449-0-40968500-1396261254.jpg

unloading concrete for repairs to sea walkway towards Kennaway TunnelI

I had parked in Marine Parade & the footpath was,rightly so, blocked with cones,

so I had to do  3 road crossings to get back to this position,

after watching & talking photos & chatting to the security guy

he moved the cones so I could get back to Marine Parade

Very thoughtful of him

In fact all the operatives I have spoken to have been very helpful & polite

of course wisdom requires not to be intrusive when they are in the middle of something

( thats when you take pics of course )

Off under the bridge

post-22449-0-99586100-1396261777.jpg

Edited by Granitechops
  • Like 8

I have always thought that if working under railway rules rather than a construction site you had to walk along the line facing the traffic. On the Dawlish webcam if have noticed both 4ft's being used irrespective of direction. Is this rule in the case of a live railway only, or should it apply to anywhere a train movement is likely?

As of about 1pm today, a couple of screen grabs showing everything looking rather tidy... anyone know what the first daylight service train through Dawlish is on Friday?

Take your pick - the first ECS move is timetabled for 9 minutes after midnight, the TOCs aren't hanging about! :)

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced/DWW/2014/04/04/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt

2T03 Exeter-Paignton at 05.51 is the first passenger one scheduled. 

Of course Teignbridge DC have also been occupied at Dawlish warren

sea wall exposed down to steel piling

post-22449-0-97416400-1396267966.jpg

Groyne 1 got undermined by sand levels lowering and doing a severe lean

Photos taken 1st March 2014

post-22449-0-16622100-1396268090.jpg

post-22449-0-58176400-1396268131.jpg

Diggers on the slipway at Dawlish Warren 5th March

post-22449-0-07977500-1396268319.jpg

after they had been uprighted

post-22449-0-55263100-1396268478.jpg

After playing sandcastles & adding 2 butressing supports still 5th march

post-22449-0-30020300-1396268545.jpg

and by 10th March

2 more supports added making 4 in all

post-22449-0-57888900-1396269733.jpg

the diggers  must have been too wide to go through the gap at the top end of the groynes,

so must have had to go round the bottom ends at low tide, do their work & get back again while they still could

Compound in Warren car park

post-22449-0-46749500-1396270034.jpg

More heavily galvanised steelwork yet to be placed

post-22449-0-09003000-1396270084.jpg

post-22449-0-62439800-1396270101.jpg

Edited by Granitechops
  • Like 3

A bit off topic, but related to the area.

This is from my memory, you can search out the details if you wish...  About 55 years ago, Exeter cc decided to build a sludge boat, 'sw2', iirc (or was that the Bristol one?) There was a speed limit on the estuary, ( put in place against an acquaintance of mine who built off-shore power boats, and testing them generally early on Sunday morning) anyway the sw2, which was built to the maximum size and shape to get down the canal, and fast enough to get out on one tide, dump the sewage sludge, and back on the next. It was dumping it some miles off of Torbay. The did some tests, to make sure that the sludge would be carried out by the tides away from the UK coast. These tests were made about four years before the boat was completed. When it came to dumping the 'real stuff', much of it landed up at Teignmouth. They ignored 'local knowledge', the fact that everything around there tends to move around.

Best wishes,

Ray

A bit off topic, but related to the area.

This is from my memory, you can search out the details if you wish...  About 55 years ago, Exeter cc decided to build a sludge boat, 'sw2', iirc (or was that the Bristol one?) There was a speed limit on the estuary, ( put in place against an acquaintance of mine who built off-shore power boats, and testing them generally early on Sunday morning) anyway the sw2, which was built to the maximum size and shape to get down the canal, and fast enough to get out on one tide, dump the sewage sludge, and back on the next. It was dumping it some miles off of Torbay. The did some tests, to make sure that the sludge would be carried out by the tides away from the UK coast. These tests were made about four years before the boat was completed. When it came to dumping the 'real stuff', much of it landed up at Teignmouth. They ignored 'local knowledge', the fact that everything around there tends to move around.

Best wishes,

Ray

Yes remember that one, it used to blow a warning signal as it approached Exmouth, scrapped about 15-20 years ago?? 

PS memory is not what it was

• RMweb Premium

As of about 1pm today, a couple of screen grabs showing everything looking rather tidy... anyone know what the first daylight service train through Dawlish is on Friday?

attachicon.gif00112.jpg

attachicon.gif00113.jpg

I wonder what that section of the orange army are all looking at so intently.  Has the first sunbather of the year appeared.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I wonder what that section of the orange army are all looking at so intently.  Ha the first sunbather of the year appeared.

Jamie

CK's pasty has been nicked by a seagull......

Cheers,

Mick

I have always thought that if working under railway rules rather than a construction site you had to walk along the line facing the traffic. On the Dawlish webcam if have noticed both 4ft's being used irrespective of direction. Is this rule in the case of a live railway only, or should it apply to anywhere a train movement is likely?

It is probably still under engineers' possession - it must be if road-rail vehicles are being used as they aren't allowed on a line open to normal running. 

• RMweb Premium

The vicinity of the webcams is within a marker boarded worksite that is ofcourse then within a T3 possession.

Any movement within a worksite in a T3 is carried out at no more than walking pace.

It is however the COSS's responsibility that anyone signed in on his COSS form (aka the safe system of work)  is made aware of any potential movements within the worksite, this could be RR machine, On track machine (tamper), engineering train etc and that movements can be made in any direction on any line! You then sign his form to say you understand this. As regards to walking along the track in a worksite, a certain amount of common sense is also called for but its generally understood that you can walk on any line within a worksite, movements permitting obviously.

If something like a train is about to move within a site, everyone is made aware of said movement before its made.

Sometimes within a worksite, maybe where engineering trains are moving, the safe system may require lookouts to be positioned to protect staff but that is fairly rare.

I do know that on that particular job at Dawlish before it became a T3, (high street environment)  the UP road only was specified to be used as a walking route because most of the machine movements were on the DN.

I do hope Ive not got any of that wrong as Ive just completed a big load of assessments on such things :blush:  :blush:

• RMweb Gold

Take your pick - the first ECS move is timetabled for 9 minutes after midnight, the TOCs aren't hanging about! :)

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced/DWW/2014/04/04/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt

2T03 Exeter-Paignton at 05.51 is the first passenger one scheduled. 

I'm having thoughts of a trip to Kernow Models on 1C04...........

John

I do not know if its been mentioned on here

But as I am back tracking this railway Tome

I have noticed that when contributors have supplied a live link to the webcams

when you click on them now they show the webcam updated to TODAYS  picture

NOT the one when loaded,

so in effect pointless

EDIT note;- 

NOT being critical here, just feed back to help increase the informative value of this thread

I am not an IT person,

but I do know that if you do a SCREENSHOT of the webcam

it stays static & the viewer gets to see what you intended

examples of this are on pages 43 44 &45 at least

page 45 is as far as I have got!"!

While being tecknical is there any way of navigating to a specific page in the 90 odd ones

other than skipping 2 at a time

Edited by Granitechops

While being tecknical is there any way of navigating to a specific page in the 90 odd ones

other than skipping 2 at a time

If you click on the 'page # of #'

it gives you the option of 'go to page ?'

put in the page number you want and

click on GO.

Jeff

If you click on the 'page # of #'

it gives you the option of 'go to page ?'

put in the page number you want and

click on GO.

Jeff

thank you Jeff

now I had found that on another forum but in a different way, BUT had forgotten

Amnesia? alzheimers? Annoying!!  :senile:

Captain kernow please publish the pictures I want to see them and so do lots of others

I think that Captain Kernow may be completely cream crackered or that his professional life, which takes priority, has made another call on his time.

He will post them when he is able.

• RMweb Gold

I think that Captain Kernow may be completely cream crackered or that his professional life, which takes priority, has made another call on his time.

He will post them when he is able.

Indeed, John. I believe that CK's area of responsibility extends from just outside the West Midlands to Penzance, with branches. That's an awful lot of railway.

Indeed, John. I believe that CK's area of responsibility extends from just outside the West Midlands to Penzance, with branches. That's an awful lot of railway.

...and if a lot of the former branches were not now cycle paths, we'd probably need at least two CKs which is a slightly sobering thought! Doppelganger or split personality...?