RMweb

Worseter - update

Killybegs

Once the main backscene was sorted, I turned my attention to the view through the bridge. Using Photoshop, I combined a small section of the backscene with one of the canal photographs that I took last year. While I was at it, I added the continuation of the road that passes under the bridge. I am quite pleased with the result ......

attachicon.gif5173.21.jpg

John, That looks magnificent! Every time I look at the view through the bridge it reminds me of a canal trip along there when some local oiks untied our hired canal boat in the middle of the night!

• RMweb Premium

I've just found this layout. Started to read your plasticard coach build and then clicked your postscriplink. I'm lost for words; well almost as this is a superb model as is your modelling in so many other areas. Pendonesque and Kingstorrish at the very least.

I'm totally inspired (well at least for the time....you would understand if you knew my modelling efforts that last about two or three days at most.....)

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Oh !

Who photoshopped out the terraced houses, hop warehouses and floodlights for St Georges Lane footy ground in the distance?

Hee hee

Guess they just didn't fit with the Malverns background any way

Phil

• Like 1

Oh !

Who photoshopped out the terraced houses, hop warehouses and floodlights for St Georges Lane footy ground in the distance?

Hee hee

Guess they just didn't fit with the Malverns background any way

Phil

I have to own up that the canal photo that I used wasn't taken in the prototype location, but further north on a 'country' section of the canal.

I had meant to photoshop out the two big white blocks of flats in Worcester (I'm assuming they were built post 1959), which I don't think appear in any of the photographs, but I forgot. 

Back to the Brit. The new etched smoke deflectors have been assembled, painted and the name boards added. They are yet to be fixed in place as I still have the front lamp irons to do and that will be easier without the deflectors. The new ATC conduit is fixed in place and painted.

post-7952-0-45257400-1437827090_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

I really despise people with this much skill.  :scratchhead: That is going to be a beautiful engine! Has it had it's wheels done yet? Any chance of a photo with them all in place, just something to drool over....

Mike

• Like 2

I really despise people with this much skill.  :scratchhead: That is going to be a beautiful engine! Has it had it's wheels done yet? Any chance of a photo with them all in place, just something to drool over....

Mike

All in good time Mike! Just to keep you going, you can have a few wheels in this shot. Smoke deflectors, BR(W) lamp irons, couplings, pipework and front step stays fitted. I'm still in two minds about fitting the ATC shoe. Looking at photographs, it seems to sit well back within the depth of the bogie. This won't work on the model as the gap between the axle and the front cross brace ain't wide enough. The only option that I have come up with would be to modify the white metal casting and fix it the bogie in some way.

post-7952-0-06200400-1438077365.jpg

• Like 9

I've solved the problem of the ATC shoe. I thinned down the back of the casting and then notched it to fit over the end of the axle retaining strap to which it was soldered with low melt solder. Its sitting very slightly low at the moment, but that is easily rectified.

post-7952-0-30990500-1438083271.jpgpost-7952-0-07375000-1438083276.jpg

Edited by Killybegs
  • Like 10

I don't know whether I approve of you drooling over this Mike ............

post-7952-0-03875400-1438089676_thumb.jpg

Lots of work still to be done!

Edited for better picture quality

Edited by Killybegs
  • Like 16

Don't ever bring her to the main land...it may not make it back! That is going to look the dog's, once all the dangly bits have been attached. A superb piece of modeling.

Mike

(wiping his mouth)

• RMweb Gold

I do wonder about the nameplate colour John.  It's a very long time since I saw the WR 'Brits' but none of them stuck in my mind as having red background nameplates.  A bit of delving on the 'net has found a view of 70018 at what looks like Patchway with the nameplate background looking the sam as the smoke deflectors.  However in at least two pictures after it moved to the LMR the background of the nameplate looks noticeably lighter than the smoke deflectors (and in one view it has very clearly acquired Crewe deflectors in place of the Swindon ones.

All of these are, alas, b&w pics and I can't find any decent colour pics of it on the 'net while I know it's not worth looking in any of my books as I won't find any there.

Sorry to be a nuisance but I do wonder ....

• RMweb Gold

Iron Duke had red back nameplates in 1967. Britannia itself had red back nameplates, indeed I seem to remember that was how Triang painted them. They were red on a number of the smaller 'Clans'. 

Judging by b&w photos and the tonal difference they show I suspect that the 'Britannia' nameplates came out of works with a red background on, probably, all of the engines named from new.  However the clear few pictures that I can find of any of the class with Swindon smoke deflectors, including 70018, show the nameplate background colour as a tonal match, or near match, for the smoke deflectors.

I've now done a bit more delving and found other pictures in books - including some very clear ones by George Heiron of engines standing at stations plus a reproduction of one of his paintings (in colour) which seem to tell the following story - with their original smoke deflectors the engines mostly appear to have red background nameplates although one might be black (but that could have been due to dirt).  With the Swindon smoke deflectors, including the colour reproduction of one of GH's paintings, the nameplates all appear to have black backgrounds.  70025 appears in several views and very definitely went from what appears to have originally been a red background to a black background when fitted with Swindon smoke deflectors.  In summary it looks like Swindon repainted the nameplates black at some stage, possibly on earlier shopping but definitely when the smoke deflectors were altered.

I did wonder about the nameplates myself and I am inclined to agree with you Mike. I've just been looking at Rex Coffin's photos in 'Steam around Bristol'. In both pictures he appears to have been using a filter as the buffer beams come out quite light whereas the nameplates are dark. I think it's out with the paint brush!