Dapol silver bullets

(The) Youth

• RMweb Premium
due for delivery on Monday

Ash permitting :lol:

I must say I'm looking forward to these arriving particularly having seen Dapol's statement about "individual weathering". To have such models offered with quality weathering is an uncommon treat; to have them potentially not all looking identical as well is superb.

Bring on the wagons :rolleyes:

It also slighty cruel of Dapol methinks, as they saying weve just released these amazing wagons, but they declined to show us pictures off the finished things.

Its the same as saying Ive got a ferrarri sat in my garage, but Im not going to let you look at it.

But anyway I cant wait and Im very glad I got my preorder in

Dan

• RMweb Premium

I suspect with the Kernow wagons they may be waiting for their customer to show them on the store website first, though as they are sold out on pre-orders that may not happen. Perhaps modesty is the better part of Dapol's discretion ;) .

I must say I'm looking forward to these arriving particularly having seen Dapol's statement about "individual weathering". To have such models offered with quality weathering is an uncommon treat; to have them potentially not all looking identical as well is superb.

Wow! That does sound superb, I saw the sample on their website and though it looked very nice, and wasn't surprised when they sold out, as they weren't asking that much more. My only concern was that if they were identical then it might look a bit odd. If they are all slightly different then that is superb for those of you that have them ordered!

I really pleased with my (non-weathered) silver bullets. The chrome is really impressive!

Very nice . . . definitely the best factory weathering I have seen.

I went to order one a while ago for a Speedlink train, but they had sold out. Come on someone, list one on eBay ;) :D

Yeah and watch the price go through the roof!!

Anyway, I am looking forward to the ones they do in the correct size, ie N gauge instead of the too big 00, he ducks the onslaught!!!

hehehe

Seriously though these models look superb despite the oversize laddering, I think they are the best rtr weathered wagons produced to date, mega congrats are in order, maybe they should do a good few more though it sounds like they have massively under ordered!

Simon

Collected my order this morning at 11am, the guys at kernows were suprised when I said i had come down from cheshire for them, they look brilliant and cannot wait to get back home and run them around my layout with a pair of 37's hauling them. just need to weather my other 14 of them and i'll be very impressed.

Collected my order this morning at 11am, the guys at kernows were suprised when I said i had come down from cheshire for them, they look brilliant and cannot wait to get back home and run them around my layout with a pair of 37's hauling them. just need to weather my other 14 of them and i'll be very impressed.

Very nice.......!

Kernow called me this afternoon to confirm my order details so I dropped the question about an additional production run. Apparently there is little chance of seeing another set this side of the new year due to a lack of available production slots. Another run next year is a distinct possibility though.

I must say I am most impressed with Kernow, very polite and helpful. I am glad this investment worked out for them and hope the future custom Dapol wagons are just as much of a success. Looking forward to having these to go with my weathered EWS 37!

*Gribble*

• RMweb Gold

Kernow called me this afternoon to confirm my order details so I dropped the question about an additional production run. Apparently there is little chance of seeing another set this side of the new year due to a lack of available production slots. Another run next year is a distinct possibility though.

I must say I am most impressed with Kernow, very polite and helpful. I am glad this investment worked out for them and hope the future custom Dapol wagons are just as much of a success. Looking forward to having these to go with my weathered EWS 37!

*Gribble*

I like the sound of that, plenty of time between now and the 2nd run to pay for their other ltd clay wagons, and let the credit card recover before the next ones!

Has anyone been brave enough to take the varnish to the super shiny version yet to try and tone down the silvering just a little?? I had in mind to try a little satin varnish along the top of the barrels and lightly weather the underframes? They were VERY clean way back then but not spotless.....

I intend to matt varnish one clean one apart from the data panel & nacco signs and apply a little brown weathering powder and see what happens.

Looks like trusty Railmatch stain varnish out of a tin (our standard pre weathering coating for repainted locos) might be enough.

For me the factory shininess is just too much in model form. A bit like the fact that although outshopped locos are glossy in real life high gloss doesn't look real at 1:76.....

Will have a go at completing one like this and then post a pic before attempting the other 9!

S

• RMweb Gold

With a couple of you saying you got calls to confirm or money taken I rang up to check as I'd not heard. Thought this would save anyone else a call.

Kernow are working their way through and are doing orders from January still so it may take up to another week or even two to get all orders processed.

Think I'll go and make sure my 37's are ready for this new flow :)

• RMweb Premium

I believe it is Kernow's normal policy to mail orders in date order starting with the first received. That seems fair enough. They are always as quick as possible so won't take very long getting these out. It's a downside to the business with any retailer (perhaps with the exception of the Liverpool one who clearly indicate that they have dedicated picking and packing staff) that a busy day in the shop can mean more money in the till but potentially less time to mail out orders.

Kernow might be regarded as one of the top players these days but they don't have anywhere near the staff resources of Hattons, for example.

Just a small point - are the add-on pipes also weathered on the Kernow ones? If not they will look out of place until "done". It's perfectly possible to fit the pipes to these wagons while retaining full use of the supplied couplers which is a nice touch.

A real feather in Dapol's cap with these wagons. Dave was in here saying they wanted them to represent a "step change" in their OO product quality; they have achieved that and more. I've had to shave up to 1mm off a couple of platform edges to accommodate the ladders but you wouldn't know the difference. One spot was also "banned" to Bachmann 08's as well because the rods fouled the coping so that restriction can also be lifted now.

I'll have to be very selective with the more recent wagons when they come out. I like the look of them but might simply not have space for them all. I'm supposed to be running "hoods" after all and the Kernow "flat tarps" are not far away. There's 15 (5 packs) of those on order as well!

• RMweb Premium

Was in the shop today, they had just taken delivery of a load of Bullets they do look superb, I saw the flat tarps and quite frankly the tarps are poor, thick material like the hoods and my order will get my own tarps made from aircraft modellers tissue. The actual wagon though loks very good

• RMweb Gold

Mine arrived today,

Gwiwer, looks like the pipes are weathered to some extent, though a bit cleaner than the rest of the wagon.

Weathering really is fantastic, as are the hand rails. but that ladder and roof walkway are truely awful, and looks like its come off something from the 60s. I've just ran a micrometer over the mesh, which is 1.3mm gaps (i.e. a scale mesh with 4 inch gaps)

This is even more a shame considering the standard of the very fine handrails which will no doubt be lost when you replace the naff mesh with something scale.

Still, that aside, I am very happy. going to add a few more white streaks to further personalise it (it needs some smaller white streaks elsewhere on the side) Need to change the OHLE flashes (and add a bit of brown over the top to blend them in)

Finally, does anyone know if there is silver under the brown?

I have found a photo showing the 4 hatches along the lower side of the tank in clean silver while the rest is filthy. looks an interesting variation to model...

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone have some good photos of the bullets from arount 1998? everything I've found so far is dated post 2006.

Just trying to work out when the European style triangular OHLE flashes were fitted, along with a bunch of other modern H&S signs.

Also, has anyone managed to find photos of either of the wagons Dapol/Kernow modelled? Again the best I've found so far is a shot showing the next one up in the number series.

Hi All,

Has anyone figured out how to sort out the ladders yet, by that I mean how they stick out and hit the platform edge, I think I found a small solution, I pulled out the ladders from the bottom and cut 3 mil from the struts that stick into the frame and then pushed them back into the body, this makes the ladders closer to the tank and less sticky out. the only problem with that is that the top of the ladder doesn't hold on to the walkway as secure sad.gif

I'll try and post pictures when I get back home