Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Dapol silver bullets

(The) Youth

• RMweb Premium

I would normally agree except in the case of the Bachmann class 150 in Arriva livery i have been waiting since early 2008 for it and its still not here in jan 2010 :angry: Bachmann have no excuses now, they have the moulding for the 150/2 hence the regional railways version and they can do the Arriva livery as carried on their 158's.... what's the problem??? :icon_e_confused:

i hate it when Companies advertise models when they havn't even entered production meaning we have to wait years for them :icon_frustrated: im sure i am not only one that has been annoyed by this

Would it not be more annoying though if Bachmann didn't announce an Arriva version, so decided to sacrifice another 150 to repaint into your desired livery, then the next day they announce it and its released a week later? I would certainly prefer to know in advance, hence why i haven't tried to upgrade a minitrix Brit or attempt the Langley B1 in N gauge as i know Dapol will release them in good time and the product will be better than is possible to achieve from the current options.

And is it really going to ruin your life if you can't get one NOW? Atleast you're not going round shows seeing them running on other layouts and feeling jealous because they got theirs before you, when they arrive i'm sure you will be able to get one and atleast you know they will be released at some point, you're not praying every march that Bachmann might finally announce the livery you've been waiting for!

cheers, Richard

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

And is it really going to ruin your life if you can't get one NOW? Atleast you're not going round shows seeing them running on other layouts and feeling jealous because they got theirs before you, when they arrive i'm sure you will be able to get one and atleast you know they will be released at some point, you're not praying every march that Bachmann might finally announce the livery you've been waiting for!

cheers, Richard

Completely agree there...

How exactly is it any different for Bachmann et al to announce xyz today and release it in 2011, than for them to announce it in 2011 the week before release. the latter dosnt mean that you get it any quicker, just that you lose the ability to plan future modelling around it!

Guest jim s-w

Completely agree there...

How exactly is it any different for Bachmann et al to announce xyz today and release it in 2011, than for them to announce it in 2011 the week before release. the latter dosnt mean that you get it any quicker, just that you lose the ability to plan future modelling around it!

Indeed

The only difference is you dont spend ages and ??????'s building a kit or something from scratch only for it to appear in the shops the week after you finish it.

Cheers

Jim

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I would normally agree except in the case of the Bachmann class 150 in Arriva livery i have been waiting since early 2008 for it and its still not here in jan 2010 :angry: Bachmann have no excuses now, they have the moulding for the 150/2 hence the regional railways version and they can do the Arriva livery as carried on their 158's.... what's the problem??? :icon_e_confused:

i hate it when Company's advertise models when they havn't even entered production meaning we have to wait years for them :icon_frustrated: im sure i am not only one that has been annoyed by this

I shall say this only once - again.

When a manufacturer produces a model with a companies livery and logos there is some interaction between them, getting licences, getting agreement that the model is acceptable to the company and no doubt other things - and these things take time, is that a good enough excuse perhaps ?

I only get annoyed by "I want, I want and I want it NOW" attitudes - not by a model being late.

• Like 2

Hi all

Are the silver bullets going to be released at Model Rail Scotland 2010 as Dapol says late Feb

MRS 2010 is last weekend in Feb and the silver bullet wagons have been used extensively

in Scotland i may be putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5 but it would be good if this did happen

regards

Dave

I understand the frustration, I tend to plan annually what my purchases will be these days and hardly ever "spot-buy". It is a bit of a pain to wait. We know how discerning today's modellers are, and the producers cant be blamed really.

Burngullow is near me and rather sadly a NACCO graveyard at present. I can obtain some close ups and broadside pictures if anyone would like them, or could add them to this thread - let me know.

I plan to purchase some, clean & weathered, a bit out of my 1979 - 1989 era - but worth having nonetheless.

Cheers Craig

• RMweb Gold

Hello folks,

I would approach this problem in a faux-statistical way, and making some assumptions:

(1) When wagons work they get dirty.

(2) Working wagons do need to be maintained, and during maintenance they are sometimes given thorough or partial cleaning.

(3) Wagons can be either "shiny", "slightly dirty", or "filthy brown."

(4) The ECC and NACCO markings always seem to be visible, even on dirty wagons. I suspect the company has these wiped clean more frequently.

(5) I am only considering "running grime" and not any white clay stains spilled during loading.

I do not know how often the wagons are given the kind of service that does involve a clean. Also, the speed with which they go from "shiny" to "slightly dirty" to "filthy brown" will vary according to weather; vehicles get dirtier far more quickly when recent rainfall has made track dirt slightly damp and "sticky."

To reproduce the "slightly dirty" phase, you will need to weather a pristine wagon.

If one looks at photos of China Clay trains in the EWS era, it is clear that most of the time, the wagons are a uniform dirty colour. There are some occasions when one or two of the wagons are "a bit dirty, but still clearly silver" and on rare occasions there are wagons in the consist that are "shiny" and clearly fresh from works.

If you only want to run a single, representative train it seems sensible to me, when considering which models to purchase, to choose a photograph that appeals and buy accordingly. If you want to run a "fleet" of wagons, then studying more photographs around your chosen date, noting the numbers of wagons in each "level of dirtiness" should help you decide on what proportion to buy.

cheers

Ben A.

The Carriage & wagon boys used to be based in Stoke Gifford yard by the MOM's. They used to regularly "spruce-up" just the ID boards, running numbers on vehicles and would often just touch up the white painted handrails and lamp brackets leaving everything else grubby.

This may have been an interim exam??

Can anyone please tell me if the Dapol tanks were the same ones that were used to and from Sittingbourne, Kent around the 1994-1998 period ?

I used to work the 'Enterprise' trains ( 6O75 / 6S75 ) to/from Wembley/Mossend with a Class 56 ( as a guard at that time ) and should know better but simply don't.

I remember the C & G tanks ( Grey/White Hornby type ) but there were others that we used.........I just can't remember what.

The usual fotopic search hasn't revealed anything helpful.

Thanks,

Dave

I understand the frustration, I tend to plan annually what my purchases will be these days and hardly ever "spot-buy". It is a bit of a pain to wait. We know how discerning today's modellers are, and the producers cant be blamed really.

Burngullow is near me and rather sadly a NACCO graveyard at present. I can obtain some close ups and broadside pictures if anyone would like them, or could add them to this thread - let me know.

I plan to purchase some, clean & weathered, a bit out of my 1979 - 1989 era - but worth having nonetheless.

Cheers Craig

Craig would really like photo,s and if i can use them on my layout photo,frame on my layout.

Thanks

Hugh

• RMweb Premium

Indeed

The only difference is you dont spend ages and ??????'s building a kit or something from scratch only for it to appear in the shops the week after you finish it.

Cheers

Jim

Been there! Paint drying on a Cambrian Shark only to find Hornby were going to bring one out shortly....

I definately want mine considerably dirty ;) also i believe previous era's of China Clay traffic have been better therfore my EWS era will have a short consist of wagons maybe 2 or 3 only to represent the decline of china clay traffic into modern times ;) However, if i was modelling RFD era i would have to have them much "shiny-er" and run longer trains :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like all the weathered Kernow bullets have sold out (can't say I'm surprised). I just get the "This page does not exist message". I was toying with the idea of ordering one for a Speedlink train but I really want the pristine ones as that's how I remember them on the Silver Bullet train in the early 1990s going through Dawlish. Anyway, the decision's been made for me now!

hmm looks like the splatter gun has come out to play on the weathered example a bit. What happened to the version which was supposed to be factory finished shown on their website?

Silver Bullet First Factory Finished Photo

I'll still be buying 6 n gauge shiny ones though!

Hi, if you're referring to the weathered one on Nigel Burkin's website linked to above, they aren't the Dapol ones; they are the ones that Nigel built himself. The Dapol ones are still planned to look like the picture on the Dapol website, although they have all now sold out at Kernow Models.

The chrome finish ones look stunning.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, if you're referring to the weathered one on Nigel Burkin's website linked to above, they aren't the Dapol ones. They are the ones that Nigel built himself. The Dapol ones are still planned to look like the picutre on the Dapol website, although they have all now sold out at Kernow Models.

The chrome finish ones look stunning.

ahhh right, I didn't realise they were his own, figures now though as the text around them relates to them- I did think they looked a bit different. Good stuff then, should raise the bar for factory finished weathering then.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for replying guys. I know the weathered ones are only from Kernow and that the pristine ones are on general release, as I asked before, anyone know when they are on general release as its seems they are a little over the projected release date..

regards Paul