RMweb

Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

In J1279 the centre car appears to be different from the rest of the unit. Is it just livery or is it a loco-hauled coach inserted? I know the GWR and WR did this with their own diesel railcars but it seems rather unlikely here.

I think kit's just a very dirty one still in green.

David

• RMweb Premium

The green one is a buffet car, correct vehicle for the original 6-car formation.

At the time of the pic, different liveries in the same unit were quite common - although the cl.124s went straight from green to blue/grey, none were plain blue

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Very much enjoying seeing the photo's of Brinklow tonight. In the second one, J2497, with a class 86 on a down express passenger, in January, 1971, I have noticed what looks like another photographer, and wonder whether it might be yourself. In the first photo', in the snow, with a class 81, in January, 1969, the photo' was taken about the time that the last episode of The Avengers - ''Bizarre'' -  was filmed near to the WCML.

Please keep the photo's coming,

All the best,

Market65.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Very much enjoying seeing the photo's of Brinklow tonight. In the second one, J2497, with a class 86 on a down express passenger, in January, 1971, I have noticed what looks like another photographer, and wonder whether it might be yourself. In the first photo', in the snow, with a class 81, in January, 1969, the photo' was taken about the time that the last episode of The Avengers - ''Bizarre'' -  was filmed near to the WCML.

All the best,

Market65.

The figure in the second photo is me, this is my photo of the same train.  Judging by the lack of quality I must have been having an off day....

post-5613-0-52848400-1419971298_thumb.jpg

Brinklow Class 86 down ex pass Jan 71 C458

Although captioned as Brinklow   the location is really Cathiron footbridge, a short distance away.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

The signals with no track were an eye testing station, where drivers who failed their eyetest were sent for a practical test.

The embankment they were situated on was a link from the Pillmoor - Knaresborough line to the Pillmoor- Malton line this was to open up a second route from the west to Scarborough. The connection was never used and it is not definitely known if track was ever laid on it.

Great pictures again and all the best for the new year

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave,

Centre car of DMU looks like a BRCW Class 104 TCL to me - is the number visible on the original slide / hi res scan?

Rgds,

I've had a look and it's not visible.

David

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave,

Centre car of DMU looks like a BRCW Class 104 TCL to me - is the number visible on the original slide / hi res scan?

Rgds,

I agree with Andy, it is a BRCW center car. The window spacing, and the ventilators give the game away. Limby 101 power cars and a Hornby 110 center car. Job done.  

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Great photo's of Pilmoor tonight. That mixed formation dmu was a quite common thing on the NER of BR. On the Hull - Market Weighton - York service, there often used to be to 4-car sets, with class 111 driving cars, and class 104 trailers.

A Happy New Year,

Market65.

• RMweb Premium

Limby 101 power cars ...

Surely not - with that (unusual) arrangement of four character headcode and destination blind?

I'm no expert on DMUs, but the leading car is far from being the 'bog standard' M-C style.

No doubt one of our number who understands these things will quote chapter and verse.

I just wish the TOPS class numbers weren't invariably quoted - especially when they post-date many of the images referred to.

I'd understand if the number series from the contemporary ABC Combined Volume was quoted instead !!

Regards,

John Isherwood (who lost interest in the contemporary scene when they started painting things blue).

Edited by cctransuk

• RMweb Gold

Surely not - with that (unusual) arrangement of four character headcode and destination blind?

I'm no expert on DMUs, but the leading car is far from being the 'bog standard' M-C style.

No doubt one of our number who understands these things will quote chapter and verse.

I just wish the TOPS class numbers weren't invariably quoted - especially when they post-date many of the images referred to.

I'd understand if the number series from the contemporary ABC Combined Volume was quoted instead !!

Regards,

John Isherwood (who lost interest in the contemporary scene when they started painting things blue).

Hi, cctransuk. Simply, the class 111's were fitted with 238HP Rolls-Royce engines, as opposed to the class 101's, which had either Leyland or AEC 150 HP engines. Not all of the class 111's had the four-character headcode boxes above the cab windows either. The bigger radiators of the Rolls-Royce cars was always a give-away as to which engines were actually fitted.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

Regards,

John,

The leading coach of the dmu set is a Class 111 DMBS (Driving Motor Brake Second), or Metro Cammell built with Rolls Royce engines which were more powerful than the standard AEC or Leyland engines fitted to other classes including the Metro Cammell 101s.

It would be in the number series 50134 - 50137, 50280 - 50292, 51541 - 51550.  This one should be in the number range 51541 to 51550 which had the four character headcode , along with DMCL 51551 to 51560.

The reason I usually quote the TOPS code is that it is a lot shorter to type than using a description of the manufacturer, engine used and so on.  On some of the more lengthy captions I have run into problems with the length of file name allowed in Windows, as the RMWeb and flickr files are stored on my PC/back up hard drives fully captioned.  This is another reason for using the TOPS codes.

I can understand why a number of people would prefer the description, but it can always be looked up  - I generally use Brian Morrison's  "British Rail DMUs and Diesel Railcars - Origins and first generation stock" Ian Allan, ISBN 0 7110 2629 7.  Or you can use Google - but I still like paper copies and images on my desk to refer to when I am working on my photos.

I have to admit I frequently have to look up the TOPS codes to write captions.

Edit - Market 65 has explained the class before I got this written!

David

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Premium

Hi, cctransuk. Simply, the class 111's were fitted with 238HP Rolls-Royce engines, as opposed to the class 101's, which had either Leyland or AEC 150 HP engines. Not all of the class 111's had the four-character headcode boxes above the cab windows either. The bigger radiators of the Rolls-Royce cars was always a give-away as to which engines were actually fitted.

All the best,

Market65.

Market65,

Thanks for that - I was certain that it wasn't a "Limby 101", though I'm still not clear which number series the "111"'s were.

Checking my 1961 Combined Volume, the following M-C power cars seemed to have had RR engines :-

M50136, E50270-92, E50745-7.

Presumably the leading car would have been from one of the latter two groups?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium

It would be in the number series 50134 - 50137, 50280 - 50292, 51541 - 51550.  This one should be in the number range 51541 to 51550 which had the four character headcode , along with DMCL 51551 to 51560.

Ah - that will teach me not to trust the old ABC - especially when I have the authoritive references upstairs !!

The only M-C power cars listed in the 1961 ABC as having RR engines are those that I quoted above - all the rest are stated to have BUT (AEC) engines.

Regaqrds,

John.

• RMweb Gold

Market65,

Thanks for that - I was certain that it wasn't a "Limby 101", though I'm still not clear which number series the "111"'s were.

Checking my 1961 Combined Volume, the following M-C power cars seemed to have had RR engines :-

M50136, E50270-92, E50745-7.

Presumably the leading car would have been from one of the latter two groups?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Just to complicate things a few of the 111s were later transferred to Class 101 after being re-engined with AEC(BUT) engines, specifically 50290 - 50292 and 50745 - 50747.

In 1982-5 one engine was removed from 36 of the power cars which were then renumbered, randomly, to the series 78706 to 78724 (classed as Driving half motor composite) and 78956 to 78974 (classed as Driving half motor brake standard)

Renumbering of those still in the original number series took place in 1980/1 from 50xxx to 53xxx and 56xxx to 54xxx(these latter were the intermediate cars).

David

Edited by DaveF