Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Dave have just finished going through this thread bit of a mamouth task but what a brilliant set of photos and what I found so interesting is the variety of the images and in so many instances photos which show so much more than just trains many of the pictures show so much of the infrastructure and adjacent detail. Really enjoyed looking through the photos and have got so many ideas about how I can incorporate some of the details on my layout.

• RMweb Premium

J296 my eye was drawn to the crossing in the foreground. What is that object with the red sat on it?

Another set of cracking shots.

Andy G

• RMweb Gold

J296 my eye was drawn to the crossing in the foreground. What is that object with the red sat on it?

Another set of cracking shots.

Andy G

I think (from memory as I was there when Dad took the photos) that it was a red flag draped over something to stop any train proceeding towards Ingleton on the "Little" North Western line as the line was out of use by then. 

As far as I know the last regular goods traffic over the route ceased on 1st October 1964 while passenger traffic had ceased on 30th January 1954.

For a while after closure to goods traffic the line was retained as a possible diversionary route.

The track was removed in 1967.

David

• RMweb Gold

I don't think this is the case, blinds on locos were a standard size, what makes it look different is that the metal surround the blinds run behind has either been painted grey or has faded to a grey colour. Centre head code peaks always had a bigger gap between the second and third character, I suspect this is because they utilised two two character units as used in the split box and split centre variants, side by side. Perhaps someone more familiar with the mechanisms could confirm this.

D147 was one of the class 46s built with centre split headcodes, which was changed to centre type when they went through refurbishment at Brush from 1966. This loco must have been through early as most came out in corporate blue livery.

3rd March - DSC5393.

Not often that I make positive comment on modern liveries, but the Virgin East Coast livery sits rather well on that set I think.

Thanks for photo's as ever Dave.

Edited to correct the darned autocorrect error.

Edited by leopardml2341

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like tonight's ECML photo's, which I find very nostalgic. In particular, C1742 of class 40, 40145, is a classic shot of a 40 which I've spent some time viewing. The station is also very interesting and modellable.

Please keep the photo's coming,

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

1N06 was the 0925 Kings Cross to Leeds & Bradford, due to pass Hougham at just after 11 a.m.

Jonny777,

Thanks very much for identifying the train.

and 1L11 in C1742 was the 11:10 SO KX - Scarborough.

Dec 1976 seems very early for a class 47 to have this type of headcode modification - C3121

Stovepipe,

Many thanks for identifying the train.

I've checked the date of C3121, it is definitely December 1976 and I have a note in my slide catalogue that "it has the new marker lights", so it must have been the first one I saw with them

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, stovepipe. A  thanks from me for the indentification of train 1L11. This ran via Hull, Beverley and Bridlington. I have a copy of the Working Timetable for 1979/1980, and it was still running in the Summer of 1979, from 2nd June, to 22nd September. In this timetable it is given as D315, AIR, reaching Scarborough at 15.54. I hope that this is of some additional interest.

All the best,

Market65.

Am I supposed to believe that 08419 has a red buifferbeam?

Jonathan

Prototype weathering... you'd never get away with it on an exhibition layout...

What's the purpose of the third rail in the centre road in that photo?

Edited by talisman56

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Some great photo's of Carlisle tonight. Quite seriously, 08419 does have traces of red paint on it's bufferbeam underneath all that grime - this is what I like about all of these photo's, you're getting to see the 'real railway', not the railway that we see when wearing rose-tinted spectacles!

All the best,

Market65.

Is it a test track for 00 locos and stock?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The photo below shows the trap point which protects the northern end of the through roads.  I think the third rail is to prevent anything derailed ending up on the platform(!) and hopefully off the platform roads.

These lines only came into frequent use once freight trains started to pass through the station after closure of the freight lines after the runaway in 1984  which destroyed the bridge over the River Caldew.

post-5613-0-11756400-1425678250_thumb.jpg

Carlisle 86257 Euston to Stranraer 14th April 87 C8286

The electric loco was about to come off the train to be replaced by a diesel for the rest of the journey.

David

• Like 12

C3305.....Is that a Kadee magnetic uncoupler? :scratchhead: :scratchhead: :scratchhead:

Wouldn't be surprised - the 73s were fitted with just about everything required for coupling!

The Chatham shots are near the viaduct over the A2 heading out of town eastwards, or the "Luton Arches" as we called them. Was suprised to discover there was a bigger Luton about the same distance N of London as Chatham's Luton is E of London

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photo's that you have posted. The two of Chatham, C3732, and C5036 give a different perspective to the railway being taken from a high vantage point. In C3305, of the class 73, you have a good portrait shot of the 73.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

In post #2534 there is the picture of the 73 in picture C3305.

On the adjacent running line, next to the leading cab, there are 8 wooden sleepers with some cabling and two black boxes.

Does anybody know what it is/does?

Kev.

In post #2534 there is the picture of the 73 in picture C3305.

On the adjacent running line, next to the leading cab, there are 8 wooden sleepers with some cabling and two black boxes.

Does anybody know what it is/does?

Kev.

My guesses:

1) Track circuits

2) Return current path bonding

3) Something else to do with the conductor rail breaks at that location