Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Premium

Cracking S&C shots Dave

Capture the atmosphere brilliantly

Who would not want to build a model of that location?

Phil

Hi Phil

It was a nice model of Dent at last October's Cheltenham show. 1930's LMS :sungum:

• RMweb Gold

Absolutely Clive! Stunning wasn't it?

Put me in mind of ... was it David Jenkinson's layout?

Remember that being in Railway modeller in the late 60s

Phil

• Like 1

There are two signal posts in the picture: the one at danger adjacent to the track applies to the line to the right of the train.  There is another signal to the left of this which applies to the line the train is on - you can just see the white board behind it.  This signal is clear so there's no imminent SPAD.

That's what I meant...

• RMweb Premium

That first shot of Dent Head shows the signal wire running at probably waist height. Presumably this is so they are clear of snow....

That Derby Lightweight is a standard one. The very first series had Lysholm-Smith torque convertors, and were red triangle coupling code (not to be confused with the later Bed-pan red triangle cars, which were really blue square...) and the waist level jumpers had (from memory) a triangular junction box, and I think single piece windscreens.

They were used between Bradford and Leeds and AFAIK didn't wonder off that route.

Andy G

• RMweb Gold

Not quite an 'OFF' indicator but it was a repeater for the Dolly (GPL)  at the North End of the Down platform to allow Down trains to set back in to the Up Yard!

This was how trains from Widdrington would access the Blyth & Tyne before running around to go to the Furnace Way to again run around for either West Blyth or Cambois Power Station!

Mark Saunders

Presume that was "as was" when Dave took his photo, 125 is a main aspect these days

Presume that was "as was" when Dave took his photo, 125 is a main aspect these days

The East Coast from York to Berwick was resignalled with the Electrification in the 1990's and from Northallerton to Berwick had simbids (simplified Bidirectional) signalling installed; hence why there is a main aspect rather than a backover dolly!

Mark Saunders

• RMweb Gold

Back in 2010 I did a "365 project" which involved taking (at least) one photo every day for a year. I used the images for a camera club talk and posted many on flickr at the time.

I came across the folder on my PC this evening and thought I'd post some of the railway ones here.

attachicon.gifAs it would have looked in 1920 Grosmont 14th May 2010.jpg

As it would have looked in 1920 Grosmont 14th May 2010 (But only if Grosmont had been a GNR station).

attachicon.gifAshington No 5 North Tyneside Steam railway1st September 2010.jpg

Ashington No 5 North Tyneside SteamRrailway 1st September 2010

attachicon.gifTanfield Railway Driver and Fireman 12th September 2010.jpg

Tanfield Railway Driver and Fireman 12th September 2010

attachicon.gifTanfield Railway Renishaw No 5 30th August 2010.jpg

Tanfield Railway Renishaw No 5 30th August 2010

attachicon.gifTornado at Damdykes Cramlington 24th April 2010.jpg

Tornado at Damdykes Cramlington 24th April 2010

David

Great set of pictures David, why does the NYMR insist on using propelling lamps as headlamps,they are too big and really spoil some excellent pictures Edited by russ p

Thanks Leander

Think it was that article that planted Jubilees as one of my favourite locos - IIRC was based on Dent wasn't it?

Phil

It was Phil, though highly compressed. There's a track plan and photos here. I never saw it myself.

Guest B Exam

An old West Midlands favourite in the photo C4193 - 312204. I can remember the days when it was painted in WM Travel yellow with blue window surrounds. Always viewable at New St on my spotting trips in the early 1980s!

https://flickr.com/photos/tutenkhamunsleeping/5489899954/

In your photo Dave, its got white cab window surrounds. Never seen this on a 312 before, they always seemed to have black surrounds.

Edited by B Exam
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

An old West Midlands favourite in the photo C4193 - 312204. I can remember the days when it was painted in WM Travel yellow with blue window surrounds. Always viewable at New St on my spotting trips in the early 1980s!

https://flickr.com/photos/tutenkhamunsleeping/5489899954/

In your photo Dave, its got white cab window surrounds. Never seen this on a 312 before, they always seemed to have black surrounds.

I'd guess unpainted aluminium, or white undercoat, for over-painting yellow as the opportunity arose. Almost certainly a depot accident repair.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I'd guess unpainted aluminium, or white undercoat, for over-painting yellow as the opportunity arose. Almost certainly a depot accident repair.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

It carried the white window surrounds at both ends of the unit, so more likely someone playing with the paintbrush at the depot.

See here.  https://flic.kr/p/ba7jr4  

and here   https://flic.kr/p/jeMSBJ

and here   https://flic.kr/p/fHz9as

It seemed to carry them for quite a while looking at the photos.

Paul J.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Three excellent sets of photos. Those two sets of photos from 2010 show that things continue to change so quickly. Interesting to see Tornado which had not long been introduced into service back in 2008.

The class 312 EMU at Marston Green has certainly received aluminium window surrounds. The surrounds are certainly not painted white.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Interesting to see headcodes in use at such late dates?

It always puzzled me the 312s were built with headcodes at all. Even 313s and 315s had miniature headcode displays

Love those Marston Green shots Dave, very nice... I went to the Motor Show with my Dad that October aboard a 310 from Ruggers, came back on another at about tea time with an arm full of BL and Ford brochures, happy days!

• Like 1