Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Premium

Hi, Dave. I like the Lincolnshire photos. The two of Sutton Bridge are fascinating, and show how the bridge was by the early seventies. I'm not sure what it's like these days.

Its still there and still in use. Some 12 years ago at six in the morning while driving towards the bridge, the local news gave out the tide times (HT 0630). A couple of minutes later on approach the lights on the swing bridge sign were flashing and I joined the queue within sight of the bridge. Ten minutes passed as a solitary mast was seen to pass upstream and almost the same time again before the traffic moved.

So it still works and although both sides are used for road traffic, when it does, it creates queues to(wards) Spalding and Kings Lynn adding about half an hour on a journey.

Dave

Its still there and still in use. Some 12 years ago at six in the morning while driving towards the bridge, the local news gave out the tide times (HT 0630). A couple of minutes later on approach the lights on the swing bridge sign were flashing and I joined the queue within sight of the bridge. Ten minutes passed as a solitary mast was seen to pass upstream and almost the same time again before the traffic moved.

So it still works and although both sides are used for road traffic, when it does, it creates queues to(wards) Spalding and Kings Lynn adding about half an hour on a journey.

Dave

It is quite surprising that it was still single lane and that nothing had been done to double it as late as 1972 - but it was. As a child and young teenager we used to regularly go to Hunstanton (not via the A17 but via the A47). In the evenings, coming back, it wasn't unusual at all to be queuing on the A149 at Hardwick, all the way around and across the Ouse bridge, to the A17/A47 roundabout, because of tailbacks from Sutton Bridge all the way up to Lynn. Once clear of that junction, it was normally a free run down to Wisbech.

• RMweb Gold

It is quite surprising that it was still single lane and that nothing had been done to double it as late as 1972 - but it was. As a child and young teenager we used to regularly go to Hunstanton (not via the A17 but via the A47). In the evenings, coming back, it wasn't unusual at all to be queuing on the A149 at Hardwick, all the way around and across the Ouse bridge, to the A17/A47 roundabout, because of tailbacks from Sutton Bridge all the way up to Lynn. Once clear of that junction, it was normally a free run down to Wisbech.

I can remember the bridge in the late 1950s when we sometimes went that way in my grandparents' car.  Even then there could be queues - of course then the bridge had only the single carriageway as the railway was still open.  Sadly we never stopped there to look at the trains.

A little bit later than usual as Mum's stair lift, which she ordered on Wednesday, was installed this afternoon and I was needed to "supervise" for her.

We start today with a view looking west to the old GNR/LNWR station at Nottingham London Road and then travel along the Midland line towards Loughborough.

attachicon.gifNottingham Class 08, Class 47, Class 46  Oct 73 J3477.jpg

Nottingham Class 08, Class 47, Class 46 (or 45?) Oct 73 J3477

attachicon.gifMeadow Lane Crossing Class 47 down oil Oct 75 C2497.jpg

Meadow Lane Crossing Class 47 down oil Oct 75 C2497

attachicon.gifRatcliffe on Soar Class 25 down l e Apr 75 J4251.jpg

Ratcliffe on Soar Class 25 down l e Apr 75 J4251

attachicon.gifp Kegworth Class 45 fly ash Ratcliffe on Soar to Fletton Nov 77 C3624.jpg

Kegworth Class 45 fly ash Ratcliffe on Soar to Fletton Nov 77 C3624

attachicon.gifNormanton on Soar class 45 Sheffield to St Pancras April 71 J2546.jpg

Normanton on Soar Class 45 Sheffield to St Pancras April 71 J2546

David

Another nice set of photos David. Thank you for sharing. Nice collection of vans in the first photo J3477, and the loco is a 45, not a 46. You can just make out the split center headcode if you look at the large version of the photo. The last photo, J2546, I'm going to have a stab at it being D137, (45014), "The Cheshire Regiment". 

Thanks again for sharing with us.

Paul J.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photos of the Midland line from Nottingham London Road towards Loughborough. A good selection of views and trains. The last photo is an impressive shot of a typical class 45 hauled express train to London St. Pancras, in 1971. I think the Peaks number ends with a 7, and I think the second number might be a three, but I'm not completely sure. I hope that helps with the indentification of it.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Edited by Market65

• RMweb Premium

Just trying to figure out what that van is between the SR PMVs in J3477, and whether it is bauxite/brown or just filthy.

DMUs in the shot are Cravens Class 105 and Swindon IC Class 120.

Regards,

Dave

Edited by Davexoc

• RMweb Premium

Just trying to figure out what that van is between the SR PMVs in J3477, and whether it is bauxite/brown or just filthy.

DMUs in the shot are Cravens Class 105 and Swindon IC Class 120.

Regards,

Dave

Ex-LNER extra-long CCT.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium

Looking at the first 3 photos, if you take the XR3 out of the first shot and if that TTA didn't have Procor logos, how many people would be able to guess the year correctly?

Dave

A really great set of photos. Thanks.

A wonderful signal set. But no slow train at Mumby Road?

Jonathan

No churns, no porter, no cat on a seat either.

I've got to like these quotes, haven't I ?

• RMweb Gold

There was an appearence by a steam loco, as well, wasn't there? We went to the display at Hexham, then headed back to Hagg Bank, where we watched the last steam trip of the day head west, silhouetted against the darkening sky.

There was indeed. 9F 92220 Evening Star.

I have photos of the specials as well as a lot more of Hexham taken at the time.  One day they will appear here.

David

The level crossing is called Bodsbury and, unbelievably, is still there ! Millions was spent on building the A74 (M) alongside the WCML at this location but nothing on removing the crossing, at which there was an accident involving a Post Office vehicle some years ago. 

Scotland today.  We are at Elvanfoo   t Bodsbury level crossing on the WCML north of Beattock Summit today.

There was an "open it yourself" crossing there at the time, with very clear instructions on how to use it.

If you click on the second photo to enlarge it you will be able to read the instructions.

This was at the time when pairs of Class 50s were working on the line.

attachicon.gifElvanfoot Aug 73 J3342.jpg

Elvanfoot Aug 73 J3342

attachicon.gifElvanfoot Aug 73 J3343.jpg

Elvanfoot Aug 73 J3343

attachicon.gifElvanfoot Class 50s 445 and 419 down Aug 73 J3344.jpg

Elvanfoot Class 50s 445 and 419 down Aug 73 J3344

attachicon.gifElvanfoot Class 50s 415 and 409 up Aug 73 J3345.jpg

lvanfoot Class 50s 415 and 409 up Aug 73 J3345

attachicon.gifElvanfoot River Clyde bridge 2 Class 50s down Aug 73 J3346.jpg

Elvanfoot River Clyde bridge 2 Class 50s down Aug 73 J3346

David

Great to see some pictures of a little photographed location, enhanced by the presence of Class 50's as they later became known. This was a very interesting time on the northern section of the WCML. Would love to see some more pictures of this location if you have any.

Davey

• Like 1