RMweb

Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

The photo of the class 66 passing under the footbridge looks familiar,  the bridge is the same make as that put in place outside Dover after the landslip didn't know that they had built one before?.

It seems quite a quite common design for footbridges now. I've see quite a few appear over motorways as replacements for earlier structures. I think it's a Half Through Warren Truss type but you'd need a civil to confirm that.

P

Hi Dave, love the pictures of the electrics at Shap. I have a couple similar to J5418 also taken at Scout Green. Not sure if you can get into a similar position now as last time I went what looked like a small maintenance area had blocked the view south? Also, I gather that  a vast array of palisade (anti-trespass?) fencing has been erected in the area at huge expense which only seems to be capable of trapping sheep and deer between the rails and adjacent moors? Would be interested to know why such a decision was taken by Network Rail. Was trespass really an issue at such a remote location? Andy

The photo is at the northern end of the (horribly-complicated) Trent Junction complex. The bridge carries the Toton High-Level Goods Line, which crosses over the whole sprawl of junctions, until rejoining the main line towards London at Trent South Junction.

Actually the bridge carried the East Arrival & West Arrival lines from the High Level Goods to the down side sidings, the HLG itself drops down to Old Bank Sidings on the up side.  You can also see semaphore signals TE1, TE2 and TE15 and TT 207 colour light and Toton East Jn signalbox. The Cl25 and train is on the Down Main, having come up from Trent Junction through Long Eaton.

post-1762-0-74335500-1504803268.jpg

Edited because I can't tell up from down...

Edited by DavidBird
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the WCML photos. The class 87 hauled trains of Mklll stock look look most impressive, in the last two photos, which is something that has been lost with today's unit railway.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

West Coast Main Line elecrtrcs and diesels today in the 1970s.

The photos are near Penrith and around Scout Green and Shap Wells.

attachicon.gifScout Green Class 87 87025 down Aug 76 J5418.jpg

Scout Green Class 87 87025 down Aug 76 J5418

David

Looks like 87019 to me.

I'd forgotten Class 87s had numbers at both ends at this time, assuming that fact ever registered in my brain in the first place!

West Coast Main Line elecrtrcs and diesels today in the 1970s.

The photos are near Penrith and around Scout Green and Shap Wells.

You may have to look hard to see the train in the first one.

attachicon.gifScout Green Class 50 down Feb 73 C1201.jpg

Scout Green Class 50 down Feb 73 C1201

attachicon.gifShap Wells Class 86 up Aug 76 J5413.jpg

Shap Wells Class 86 up Aug 76 J5413

attachicon.gifShap Wells Class 86 up Aug 76 J5414.jpg

Shap Wells Class 86 up Aug 76 J5414

attachicon.gifScout Green Class 87 87025 down Aug 76 J5418.jpg

Scout Green Class 87 87025 down Aug 76 J5418

attachicon.gifPenrith Class 87 Glasgow to Euston Aug 77 J5780.jpg

Penrith Class 87 Glasgow to Euston Aug 77 J5780

David

Once again some atmospheric photographs, depicting what is to my mind the most interesting section of railway in the whole country. Be it steam, diesel or electric, this section of the WCML brings out the best, no matter what the traction.

Davey

• RMweb Gold

Looks like 87019 to me.

I'd forgotten Class 87s had numbers at both ends at this time, assuming that fact ever registered in my brain in the first place!

Many thanks, as usual I was in too much of a hurry and once again didn't have a close look at the photo before I typed up the caption.

David

Actually the bridge carried the East Arrival & West Arrival lines from the High Level Goods to the down side sidings, the HLG itself drops down to Old Bank Sidings on the up side.  You can also see semaphore signals TE1, TE2 and TE15 and TT 207 colour light and Toton East Jn signalbox. The Cl25 and train is on the Down Main, having come up from Trent Junction through Long Eaton.

attachicon.gifTotonBridge.jpg

Edited because I can't tell up from down...

I did say it was 'orribly complicated..

• Like 1

HI Dave,

Fantastic Shap Wells selection, recalling Derek Cross's images taken there in the 60's its one location I never got to but always intended, same applies to the overbridge at Crawford. The closest I found for Shap Wells was a 'private' road leading to a hotel would that be the access road can you recall.

I did say it was 'orribly complicated..

Just to confuse things even further, on the Trent PSB diagram I have - the extract above is from that diagram - the designation "Down High Level Goods" extended through Toton Yards as far as Stanton Gate, even though they are all on the same level; presumably to avoid confusion with the "Down Goods", the continuation of the line from Trent Jn through (the site of) Long Eaton Town.  Futher confusion is that I have also seen this line called the "2nd Down Goods"...

Diagram here -  (Not mine, I must add!)

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4083/4971450542_e070a745a0_b.jpg

4971450542_e070a745a0_b.jpg

Edited by DavidBird
  • Like 16

Interesting old map there David, thanks for sharing that - you wouldn't belive jus thow much of the trackage is now hidden by weeds, trees and general vegetation today. When I left my train on the Old Bank last weekend I htought I was in the jungle!

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Interesting old map there David, thanks for sharing that - you wouldn't belive jus thow much of the trackage is now hidden by weeds, trees and general vegetation today. When I left my train on the Old Bank last weekend I htought I was in the jungle!

Just most of the down side living up to its name (Meadow...)

Some of Dad's photos again today, taken in Scotland.

There is no real link between them.  Very often he would only take one or two photos at a particular location, probably because of the cost of film.

attachicon.gifStannergate Dundee industrial sidings Aug 74 J3933.jpg

Stannergate Dundee industrial sidings Aug 74 J3933

attachicon.gifStirling Class 27 up Aug 73 J3337.jpg

Stirling Class 27 up Aug 73 J3337

attachicon.gifWemyss Bay July 74 J3847.jpg

Wemyss Bay July 74 J3847

attachicon.gifWest Ferry Dundee Class 47 down Aug 74 J3932.jpg

West Ferry Dundee Class 47 down Aug 74 J3932

attachicon.gifWodhall 303 100 Wemyss Bay to Glasgow C July 74 J3851.jpg

Wodhall 303 100 Wemyss Bay to Glasgow C July 74 J3851

David

Love shot J3932 of Stannergate industrial sidings Dundee, David. So much atmosphere. Love the wall with the new brick pillar at this end. Would look totally wrong on a model. Some of that trackwork was not laid to P4 standards. Thank you so much for sharing them with us.

Paul J.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. What an excellent set of Scottish photos. The tankers look very interesting in the first photo, and I'm sure would make excellent models. I like the view of the class 27 in Stirling, which must have been taken from the castle, in the second photo. The last photo is a great view of a 303 at Wodhall in some scenic countryside.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

J3337 another pic with one of the famed Griddle cars

J3932 second last coach looks like an RSO but with no accompanying restaurant car? i think i can make out a red stripe, but definitely writing on the side. Also shows the mk2a BFK had red gangway doors, not green

Just going back to the designation of lines north of Toton, I always thought they were (from east to west:

Up Goods

Dn Goods

Up Main

Dn Main

2nd Dn Goods

Looking at Quail, this appears to be the case north of Stapleford and Sandiacre, except that the westerly Down Goods is now referred to as the 'Mapperley Goods Branch, as it isn't accessible from the other lines north of S&S any more

I suppose I could say that all today's photos were taken in Derbyshire to form a link between the locations.

attachicon.gifWhaley Bridge course of Peak Forest tramway incline April 72 J2907.jpg

Whaley Bridge course of Peak Forest tramway incline April 72 J2907

attachicon.gifWhaley Bridge Peak Forest tramway canal basin April 72 J2908.jpg

Whaley Bridge Peak Forest tramway canal basin April 72 J2908

attachicon.gifWillington Junction Class 46 46116 Plymouth to Sheffield Aug 76 J5438.jpg

Willington Junction Class 46 46116 Plymouth to Sheffield Aug 76 J5438

attachicon.gifWillington Junction Class 120 Crewe to Lincoln Aug 76 J5439.jpg

Willington Junction Class 120 Crewe to Lincoln Aug 76 J5439

attachicon.gifWhittington Junction Staveley works behind Sept 76 J5450.jpg

Whittington Junction Staveley works behind Sept 76 J5450

David

Hi David, 

Excellent photos as usual.

J2908 is the Whaley Bridge Incline on the Cromford & High Peak Railway rather than the Peak Forest Tramway.

Regards Robin

Hi David, 

Excellent photos as usual.

J2908 is the Whaley Bridge Incline on the Cromford & High Peak Railway rather than the Peak Forest Tramway.

Regards Robin

same goes for the basin in the second shot, the sheds were for transhipment from the C&HP. The Peak Forest Tramway terminated at the, much larger, Bugsworth basin a short distance away on the other arm of the canal.

Regards