Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Times have indeed changed.  

Many people today seem to have less awareness of danger.

The photos are simply a record of what things were like then, please don't get too involved in discussing trespass today as compared to then, the world has changed and comment is not really all that useful.

David

• Like 1

To put us back on topic of days gone by, link to Disused Stations who have chosen to include Chinley's current station in it's narrative - given how little is left of this once wonderful station I can see why they have included it. 

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/c/chinley/index.shtml

Strangely, this link isn't working for me from here but is a copy from my browser that I got to from Disused Stations, is that the same for everyone else?

Edited by woodenhead

• RMweb Gold

C6538 Tile Sheds - I spent my trainspotting years sitting on the pedestrian gates there with two friends - I'm still in contact with them too!  Just to the left out of shot.  I'd love to see any more taken there if you have any.

I think I have some more, taken quite a lot later.  They are in the (very) long queue for Photoshop and captioning.

David

A few photos from the Great Western today.

attachicon.gifSapperton Tunnel view west April 72 J2853.jpg

Sapperton Tunnel view west April 72 J2853

attachicon.gifShrewsbury Class 47 47087 Cyclops shunting CR obeservation saloon Apr 74 J3643.jpg

Shrewsbury Class 47 47087 Cyclops shunting CR obeservation saloon Apr 74 J3643

J2853 - unmistakeable location.

J3643 - "We're watching you, Fatty!"

A day late with my post

5731 of the lime hoppers at Chinley North Junction

Note that the train is wrong line. it worked from Tunstead onto the down slow. The engine left the train and ran to Chinley Station North Junction (south closed in 1968) and crossed over. Ran to Chinley n j and reversed onto the train, and departed via a crossover. c 1967 this procedure was carried out with steam locos, involving turning on Chinley turntable. I seem to remember that the return working ran round on the down fast.

Eventually  ( c 1984) the south to east chord was reinstated for through running, with rationalisation to the two tracks through Chinley and one island platform that we see today.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Bottesford photos, which bring back happy memories of BR blue days. The pairs of 20’s make such fine sights, and all at the head of long trains of Mk1 and Mk2 stock. It’s also good to see the 114 and 120 formation of units in the last photo.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

One big difference at Shrewsbury is that the two bays have gone - platforms 1 and 2. At about the time Dave was there there were VofR carriages on low wagons in one of the bays, I think for repair/repainting.

But the signalling this end of the station is virtually unchanged. A bit of everything.

Jonathan

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Glasgow Queen Street station photos. C6417 looks just like a model railway - a most useful photo since that’s how we mostly view our models. That’s a great photo of 20212 in the last photo, so perfectly captured.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

J3187 super photo Dave....

But ...... Pendant mode engaged, cue warning sirens etc....

Sharpness Docks and the associated railways were originally built and owned by the Midland Railway am afraid

Pendant mode off ....phew!

A very complex history followed see...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Severn_Bridge_Railway, usual Wikipedia warnings apply of course

As for comments up the thread re D11xx Brush type 4s triggered by D1108 at Donny...

Absolutely ....were always special machines away from ECML. D1103 further back up the thread at KX did it for me.....will always be special.

Sept 1967 - first spotting trip to Brum New Street, caught the X44 express coach from Worcester and met my cousin who lived in Sutton Coldfield on the concourse and who was my host for this outing. Down the steps we went - what was my first ever cop? D1103, which was sat in the centre road. Said cousin was extremely please and said I was jammy....I didn't understand at the time of course!

Happy days....

Phil

• Like 3

More Great Western today with another set of photos taken at Bristol in 1977 and 1989.

The 1977 photos were taken by Dad, from to his slide catalogue he didn't visit anywhere else in the area at the time, so it must have a been a quick visit to do with his work.

The 1989 photo is one of mine, I was at a conference staying in a hotel very close to Parkway station.  I must have slipped away for a while late one afternoon.  I can remember the journey there and back from Newcastle but what I was there for is a bit hazy. It may have been to do with timetabling (sadly for schools, not railways). 

attachicon.gifa Bristol Temple Meads Nov 77 J5850.jpg

Bristol Temple Meads Nov 77 J5850

attachicon.gifa Bristol Temple Meads 253018 Bristol to Paddington Nov 77 J5852.jpg

Bristol Temple Meads 253018 Bristol to Paddington Nov 77 J5852

attachicon.gifa Bristol Temple Meads 253018 Bristol to Paddington Nov 77 J5856.jpg

Bristol Temple Meads 253018 Bristol to Paddington Nov 77 J5856

attachicon.gifBristol floating harbour Nov 77 J5857.jpg

Bristol floating harbour Nov 77 J5857

attachicon.gifb Bristol Parkway 43020 Cardiff to Paignton reversing 2nd July 89 C12134.jpg

Bristol Parkway 43020 Cardiff to Paignton reversing 2nd July 89 C12134

David

Nice set of photos again David. Note that in photo J5852 at Bristol Temple Meads, 253018 only has one tail light lit. Correct for that time period.

Nice shots of Bristol...    C12134: interesting that one signal has 'feathers' and the other has a theatre box.

Bill

The RH signal is actually facing "wrong road", reading for down trains on the Up line. Any movements signalled by it would be at slow speed, hence a theater box could be used. The signal with the feathers is for right direction movements on the Down line, and would be a higher speed. Feathers can be seen more easily than a letter/number in a theater box, so are used when the trains are travelling at a higher speed, with the driver being able to read them from a lot farther away. Theater boxes are only used for slower speed route indication, or where there are a lot of possible routes, and are a lot harder to read from distance.

Paul J.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Sittingbourne and Kemsley Railway photo's. Such a remarkable collection of locomotives. The photo's of Bristol Temple Meads station brings back some happy memories of holidays. And seeing the HST's shows just what top class trains they have proven to be to have lasted so long doing what they were designed for - BR's finest hour.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

J3187 super photo Dave....

But ...... Pendant mode engaged, cue warning sirens etc....

Sharpness Docks and the associated railways were originally built and owned by the Midland Railway am afraid

Pendant mode off ....phew!

A very complex history followed see...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Severn_Bridge_Railway, usual Wikipedia warnings apply of course

Thanks very much for reminding me, I think I did know that at one time but haven't used the knowledge for so long that I had forgotten it.

David