Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

I love the double 'Peak' shot (J3687). So evocative.

I was fascinated by the 'Merchant Navy' at York, presumably on a railtour. I had no idea that they'd ever worked that far north (apart from "Clan Line" in recent years - I had that around the Harrogate circle in the 1980s). Fascinating.

Great pictures, as always.

• RMweb Gold

I love the double 'Peak' shot (J3687). So evocative.

I was fascinated by the 'Merchant Navy' at York, presumably on a railtour. I had no idea that they'd ever worked that far north (apart from "Clan Line" in recent years - I had that around the Harrogate circle in the 1980s). Fascinating.

Great pictures, as always.

Yes, it was on a railtour, "The Elizabethan", 22nd October 1966.  It ran Kings Cross to Newcastle and return.

Motive power was Flying Scotsman between Kings X and York, Lamport and Holt line on the York to Newcastle and return section.

It was in York on the return journey from 15.11 to 15.22 while the loco change took place.

Information from the "Six Bells Junction" website.

David

J3488; Just wonderful. If a Martian spaceship landed outside my door right now I could not be any more excited than the first time I saw an 11xx Class 47 (at Kings X in 1972). Thanks once again for your marvelous collection and for posting them here, David.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A stunning set of photos of Doncaster. Again so nostalgic, and thank you for posting them. The unit,in the background, on enlarging the photo, in C6291, is a class 110 Calder Valley unit. The windows, tumblehome, and the ends of the carriages are all clues.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

J3488; Just wonderful. If a Martian spaceship landed outside my door right now I could not be any more excited than the first time I saw an 11xx Class 47 (at Kings X in 1972). Thanks once again for your marvelous collection and for posting them here, David.

Growing up on the south coast, '1100 Brushes' were almost mythical and the very definition of "un-underlined" (is that a word??) in ones ABC :sungum:

Bill

• RMweb Gold

C6295: a classic example of someone getting halfway through a weathering project, and then giving up. I doubt if many people (apart from the legendary Paul Bartlett of course) were taking pictures of wagons back then so many thanks indeed, Dave, for doing so. Lovely pictures!

Edited by Western Aviator

• RMweb Premium

C9088 that AL6/Class 86 seems to be in a bit of a hybrid livery with original high relief logo on side and white cab but a newly painted yellow lower front and cab sheet with TOPS number and data panel applied.

Great photos as always

Cheers

Keith

• RMweb Gold

C9088 that AL6/Class 86 seems to be in a bit of a hybrid livery with original high relief logo on side and white cab but a newly painted yellow lower front and cab sheet with TOPS number and data panel applied.

Great photos as always

Cheers

Keith

I think it was a "special" livery.

David

• RMweb Gold

Is that the sun shining in Carlisle, David, in the Class 08 photo?   :O

Yes, it does have sunshine.

I usually get good weather when I go to most places (except Carlisle)  .

This is actually one of Dad's photos, he could get the sun to appear just about anywhere he went.

David

• Like 1

Fantastic photos of 4-Ceps in everyday action (who else took any??).  Note the front of near ex-works 7166 in J5175 with yellow spandrels(?) to the connecting door in the gangway, rim of roof and even the insides of the horns(!).  In J5177, it looks like 7132 has replacement unit numbers and what's the yellow horizontal bar thing above the gangway?

Bill

The horizontal wooden plank above the gangway was fitted to the prototypes and Phase 1 Kent Coast Electrification batches to keep the rain off the gangways... or so the story went.

Edited by talisman56

Growing up on the south coast, '1100 Brushes' were almost mythical and the very definition of "un-underlined" (is that a word??) in ones ABC :sungum:

Bill

Around the time of the Bournemouth electrification there was a northbound Freightliner from Southampton which used to leave around 18:00.  This was generally worked by an ER Brush 4 and was often one of the 11xx series.  We frequently used to go down to St.Denys after tea specifically to see it.

• Like 1

Yes, it does have sunshine.

I usually get good weather when I go to most places (except Carlisle)  .

This is actually one of Dad's photos, he could get the sun to appear just about anywhere he went.

David

Did you have a pet cloud too that followed you everywhere, I thought ours was unique   :jester:

Edited by woodenhead

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. That’s an excellent set of photos of Chinley North Junction from October, 1977. Leander certainly made a fine sight, and I think that all those hanging out of carriage windows are not allowed to do that these days - nor to be on the line side either. Things have changed over the years.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

J 5827 is a class 114. The number of Windows in the middle section is one more than a 108. The extra marker light at the top as well and the shape of the radiator as well

Michael

My dmu identification jinx strikes again.

David

J5833 - it is interesting how times have changed - quite normal to be lineside in the 70s - perhaps less so than at the end of steam when people were all over the track but tolerated, now this would make the national news with Network Rail closing the line.

I'm not disagreeing that what is effectively trespass shouldn't happen now but it is quite a stark reminder of how things used to be, similarly wandering round sheds at 4am on a wet dark morning just as a shift starts and the locos are all beginning to move off shed - quite how my father convinced the shed foreman that we should get a guided tour of Thornaby I don't know - probably pointed at the small wet pathetic child with his pen and notebook.

J5833 - it is interesting how times have changed - quite normal to be lineside in the 70s - perhaps less so than at the end of steam when people were all over the track but tolerated, now this would make the national news with Network Rail closing the line.

I'm not disagreeing that what is effectively trespass shouldn't happen now but it is quite a stark reminder of how things used to be, similarly wandering round sheds at 4am on a wet dark morning just as a shift starts and the locos are all beginning to move off shed - quite how my father convinced the shed foreman that we should get a guided tour of Thornaby I don't know - probably pointed at the small wet pathetic child with his pen and notebook.

No doubt things have changed, but after seeing two obnoxious idiots each with an ear to the rail on the ECML at Essendine as Flying Scotsman approached back in the Autumn of 1982, it's no wonder they have. Granted, the same loco caused issues with trespassers on the same stretch last year, but on the whole there's a much greater degree of confidence that everyone who sets out to see the spectacle like 'Scotsman will return home and with the same number of limbs they started with.