Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

HI, Dave. I like the Gateshead and Dunston photo's. In the first photo' at  Gateshead, with  08217,  46037, and others, in August, 1982, you have captured perfectly the atmosphere of the place, and it would make a great model.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Re the 56 test train.

The loco is on acceptance trials, the circuit starting from Tinsley where the test car was kept, collecting BBA's from Rotherham and doing a Doncaster-ECML (Peterborough I think)-Doncaster circuit.

56003 and others. Test car in background. 01.05.77

56038, Bawtry. 29.12.77

Mike.

Fascinating views.    What exactly was the test car testing?

Thanks,

Bill

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the latest Carlisle photo's. It's fascinating to see the class 08 in C7051, after pulling a broken down train back into station on the 6th August, 1985. I see it has two headlamps, which I haven't seen an 08 using before.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Hi, Dave. I like the latest Carlisle photo's. It's fascinating to see the class 08 in C7051, after pulling a broken down train back into station on the 6th August, 1985. I see it has two headlamps, which I haven't seen an 08 using before.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Rob

Not headlamps but two oil lit Tail Lamps, more likely just being stored on the lamp irons rather than stood on the steps!

Mark Saunders

• RMweb Premium

The only part of Tinsley shed I saw in the late 70's was the two road servicing shed. Where was this in relation to your photo?

Robin

The two road shed was down in the bottom next to the hump. Mike's picture is the main shed on the top above the reception sidings at the south/east end of the yard.

In the days when I used to catch the bus (24? to Brinsworth and alight at the Three Magpies and walk up the hill, under the motorway and down to the shed, there was a regular line of Romanian 56s down by the lower shed. 

The Mercure Sheffield Parkway hotel is pretty much on the site of the main shed. I stayed there a couple of years ago for another event in Sheff. We arrived there quite late on and it was only in the morning when I opened the curtains, I could imagine looking down on a Class 13 going about it's business.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Morpeth photos. A great range of trains to see, and in C5605, the unidentified Class 47, on a down express passenger service, in December, 1981, is so filthy, and the Mk1's look most disgusting in all that brake dust and other filth! I remember a train of Mk2f stock arriving in Kings Cross from the north behind a 47, and it too was just as disgusting. I don't think you get trains as filthy as that these days.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Hi, Dave. I like the Morpeth photos. A great range of trains to see, and in C5605, the unidentified Class 47, on a down express passenger service, in December, 1981, is so filthy, and the Mk1's look most disgusting in all that brake dust and other filth! I remember a train of Mk2f stock arriving in Kings Cross from the north behind a 47, and it too was just as disgusting. I don't think you get trains as filthy as that these days.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Carriage washing was often suspended during a bad winter as it would just cause ice to build up, particularly on step boards etc

• RMweb Gold

Carriage washing was often suspended during a bad winter as it would just cause ice to build up, particularly on step boards etc

Not only that, but carriage washing machines were unable to operate in freezing temperatures as well.  The hot summer of 1976 shut them down because of the water shortage and trains got spectacularly dirty at that time!  It was, rightly, considered much more important that the interiors were clean and presentable at the start of a journey, and the women who did this work were some of the hardest workers on the railway; they had and have my utmost respect.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Scottish photo’s. They are full of interest, and that bridge in J3826 at Ruthwell, is, as previously stated by lmsforever, in post 13016, a worthwhile one to try and model.

And the DBSO in the last photo’ at Glasgow Queen Street, looks good, and is timely with the forthcoming Bachmann model.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Not only that, but carriage washing machines were unable to operate in freezing temperatures as well. The hot summer of 1976 shut them down because of the water shortage and trains got spectacularly dirty at that time! It was, rightly, considered much more important that the interiors were clean and presentable at the start of a journey, and the women who did this work were some of the hardest workers on the railway; they had and have my utmost respect.

Not 1976 but around 1987-88 we had another water shortage. I took my son to see the depleted reservoirs in Derbyshire, we were surrounded by lovely clean cars!

Also while households were being implored to save water car dealers could and did(!) clean their entire stock daily using a hosepipe.

It's time now for another Scottish selection from the 70s and 80s.

attachicon.gifGlasgow Central The European Glasgow to Parkeston Quay 2nd March 84 C6412.jpg

Glasgow Central The European Glasgow to Parkeston Quay 2nd March 84 C6412

David

The figures just about to board the train could have included my Great-Aunt, travelling from Oban to visit family in Nottingham.  She often said how much she liked the journey from Carlisle, and how much less attractive it was after the train was diverted to run via Lancaster.

• Like 1