Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave,

Excellent photos as ever, thanks for sharing. The Boulby Mine photo brings back some memories for me. Back in Railtrack days a colleague and I had a cab ride from Tees Yard to Boulby and back in a class 60 to check NRN radio coverage and the location of channel change boards. Grinkle Tunnel was particularly interesting, IIRC part way through the tunnel seems to be a change in the method of construction, brick (or stone?) lined for a couple of hundred yards or so, then just rough hewned rock resulting in a slightly narrower loading gauge.

Regards, Ian.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

J2417, wasn't that road conversion something to do with the upgrade of the A1 to dual carriageway?

It was a cheap way of running the old Saxby to Little Bytham road across (under in this case) the A1 because the works had already been done 100 years earlier. 

I think the road follows the old trackbed for less than a mile. 

And similarly they used the High Dyke bridge over the A1 at Colsterworth to remove the central refuge for traffic to/from Ancaster when the Colsterworth roundabout was removed. That was somewhat later though, being in the last ten years or so.

Dave

• RMweb Premium

J2417, wasn't that road conversion something to do with the upgrade of the A1 to dual carriageway?

It was a cheap way of running the old Saxby to Little Bytham road across (under in this case) the A1 because the works had already been done 100 years earlier. 

I think the road follows the old trackbed for less than a mile. 

This is an approximate view of the road now:

https://goo.gl/maps/2fDFpLB8tX42

The nearer bridge in Dave's photo (which would have been behind this viewpoint) does not exist anymore as the local road is in the cutting rather than crossing it.

Keith

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave,

Excellent photos as ever, thanks for sharing. The Boulby Mine photo brings back some memories for me. Back in Railtrack days a colleague and I had a cab ride from Tees Yard to Boulby and back in a class 60 to check NRN radio coverage and the location of channel change boards. Grinkle Tunnel was particularly interesting, IIRC part way through the tunnel seems to be a change in the method of construction, brick (or stone?) lined for a couple of hundred yards or so, then just rough hewned rock resulting in a slightly narrower loading gauge.

Regards, Ian.

It changes profile for the central section as wet sand was encountered during construction

I once banged my head where it changes luckily I wasn't going at any speed I had 37419 and it was shooting flames from one of the exhausts so I was leaning out to see what was going on and forgot about the profile change

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the ECML photos, which are as good as ever. In C2486, at Barkston, with a class 47 on an up express passenger service, in October, 1975, I see there is only one first class carriage, when more usually there was two. I wonder why that was.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

C2486 the train has one of the famed Griddle cars, so that may help identify the service

EDIT: I looked up 1A1x on napier-chronicles ( http://www.napier-chronicles.co.uk/wtt75-76.htm ) and on the Carriage workings on Robert Carrol's Yahoo site. I couldn't find an exact match but it must be a Leeds/Bradford service as this was the only ECML diagram for an RG. also, the 1A1x Newcastles had restaurant cars (RB/RU)

I knew there was mention somewhere discussing an ER griddle car, so I did a search and a post on this very thread came up

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/85326-dave-fs-photos-ongoing-more-added-19th-april/page-434&do=findComment&comment=2812367

The photo (J5986) is from April '78 but has the same first few vehicles

Edited by keefer

C2486 the train has one of the famed Griddle cars, so that may help identify the service

EDIT: I looked up 1A1x on napier-chronicles ( http://www.napier-chronicles.co.uk/wtt75-76.htm ) and on the Carriage workings on Robert Carrol's Yahoo site. I couldn't find an exact match but it must be a Leeds/Bradford service as this was the only ECML diagram for an RG. also, the 1A1x Newcastles had restaurant cars (RB/RU)

I knew there was mention somewhere discussing an ER griddle car, so I did a search and a post on this very thread came up

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/85326-dave-fs-photos-ongoing-more-added-19th-april/page-434&do=findComment&comment=2812367

The photo (J5986) is from April '78 but has the same first few vehicles

Yes, the train would be 1A14 the 08:55 Bradford-KX with a 3 coach (4 on Fridays) Halifax portion at the rear dep. 08:40. Interestingly the 1975/6 ECML Carriage workings show an RMB as the catering vehicle. The RG (E1102) was shown in the formation of the 10:20 KX-Leeds and 15:30 return. Changes to the formations must have been made between May and October.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. That’s a remarkable set of photo’s of Cadeby. Such a fascinating collection of vehicles both road and rail.

The Scottish photos are so good, and full of interest. In particular, the one at Glasgow Central of a class 116 DMU, on the 2nd March, 1984, in C6414. Such a fine view of the unit in the sun.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi David,

How did you manage to get sunshine at Queen St.??? (C6416) Glesca memories, thanks.

Think your prayers were answered at Queen St  every photo and film of the station its either dark wet or downright murky and when I visited the place it was down right dingy.

Photoshop can work miracles...

It's just luck - I can get sunshine at most places, but a day at Carlisle usually produces cloud and/or rain.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Blyth and Tyne photo's. In the first one, at (Cambois) West Blyth staithes, with 37217, in  March,  1984, the 37 appears to have a small bit of damage to the corner of the nose end. I know there are some twigs in the way, and the top of a concrete hut, but it still appears to be some kind of damage.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

A few more photos from Scotland for this afternoon.  A mix of trains and infrastructure once again.

attachicon.gifMillburn Junction Inverness Aug 74 J3910.jpg

Millburn Junction Inverness Aug 74 J3910

David

I looked up this on old-maps, and was having great trouble with the road with the car, caravan and washing line being the main A96 Inverness to Aberdeen road, even in 1974..

but this shows as "Old A96 below Raigmore Interchange"

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@57.4828606,-4.1907578,3a,90y,61.55h,86.6t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1sAF1QipOlNVBhmvjIcLQ_AvCr-TmOcjOrr_mu-sUOmiL7!2e10!3e11!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipOlNVBhmvjIcLQ_AvCr-TmOcjOrr_mu-sUOmiL7%3Dw203-h100-k-no-pi-0-ya87.05825-ro-0-fo100!7i7168!8i3584

Dave's photo must be somewhere around Jury's Inn car park, the A9 Raigmore Interchange hides the railway very effectively these days.

Edit: Possibly even under the A9 northbound slip road...

Edited by DavidBird

Hello David, you are right to be concerned about your location identification on photo C7448 , 56111 coal 19th April 86, it is actually just south of Warrington Bank Quay station. The start of Arpley Yard can be seen behind the front of the 56.

More nice photos, and although I have now said this on numerous occasions, thank you very much for sharing them with us!

Paul J.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like today’s WCML photo’s. They are full of interest, and 56111 is so well weathered with brake dust etc in the first photo’ south of Warrington Bank Quay. And the class 86 in J5037, at Elmhurst makes a fine sight.

Regarding which lines get the most posts, well that’s something which I’ve not really considered before. All your and your Dad’s photo’s are equally as good, and always beautifully composed, with plenty of interest in them. So I can’t really comment further on that. ;)

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Edited by Market65