Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

45063 was a split box loco too, and it does look this one on a larger view.

On the Fighting Cocks photos, the huge Paton and Baldwins wool spinning mill was further to the west over the level crossing. Originally the majority of raw materials were brought in by rail, but no doubt by 1975 this would have declined considerably. The site had it's own coal-fired power plant and used fireless locos within the site, and these look to have remained in use until the very late 1970s. Manufacturing ceased completely in the early 1980s I think.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/history/11511774.Stranded_in_the_21st_Century/

There was also Dinsdale works over the crossing which seems to have manufactured steel tube, though I'm not sure when it closed.

Sadly the 1825 building has mostly been lost now, with just a bit of wall remaining. The Fighting Cocks PH functioned as the ticket office for Dinsdale station in the early years of the S&D.

The first Allens West photo shows the connection for the Dowmac Concrete works, and the second photo the headshunt of the Royal Navy spares parts distribution centre.

Edited by stovepipe

On the Fighting Cocks photos, the huge Paton and Baldwins wool spinning mill was further to the West over the level crossing. Originally the majority of raw materials were brought in by rail, but no doubt by 1975 this would have declined considerably. The site used fireless locos and coal was needed for generating the steam. Manufacturing ceased in the early 1980s I think.

There was also Dinsdale works over the crossing which seems to have manufactured steel tube, though I'm not sure when it closed.

Paton used to send out a lot of finished yarn by rail, into the 1970s; there are several views in David Larkin's albums of vans carrying 'Paton's' traders' labels. The latest dated one I've found was of a van, complete with 'trader's label', at Northampton in 1970.

Edited by Fat Controller

• RMweb Gold
  • RMweb Gold

J5073 looking closer, probably 45063 (or 053?) rather than -83 (did they go up that far?).

There was the occasional diagrammed double-headed Peak on the Midland to St Pancras, at least in the early 80s when I was in Leicester.

45077 was highest IIRC - hence thought most likely 45063 too, but that was a centre split box loco so not that one either - 053 was a split boxer so still in the frame....

Time for a bit of delving!

Phil

On the Fighting Cocks photos, the huge Paton and Baldwins wool spinning mill was further to the West over the level crossing. Originally the majority of raw materials were brought in by rail, but no doubt by 1975 this would have declined considerably. The site had it's own coal-fired power plant and used fireless locos within the site, and these look to have remained in use until the very late 1970s. Manufacturing ceased completely in the early 1980s I think.

Sadly the 1825 building has mostly been lost now, with just a bit of wall remaining. The Fighting Cocks PH functioned as the ticket office for Dinsdale station in the early years of the S&D.

I've had another look and it does look more like 45063 than anything else.

45063 was of course D104 in pre TOPs days so it did have the split headcode boxes.

I have to admit that I had forgotten that the Peaks were not given TOPS numbers in the original number sequence until I checked this evening

Many thanks,

David

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave J5302 possibly 45 002, unusual because of the pair of TOPS numbers, plus a split box loco.

J5332 isn't 45145, as it wasn't a namer, was my last peak to clear the class, but not 45135 3rd Carabinier, as it was a split box loco on that date.

Great photos as always

Neil

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave J5302 possibly 45 002, unusual because of the pair of TOPS numbers, plus a split box loco.

J5332 isn't 45145, as it wasn't a namer, was my last peak to clear the class, but not 45135 3rd Carabinier, as it was a split box loco on that date.

Great photos as always

Neil

It's 45144 Royal Signals. Spot the same damage to the slats/grills as here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/59961745@N06/15802801737

Edited by brushman47544

C7778 what's the logo on the RH end of the DMU? Presumably a PTE one? I'd seen S Yorks and W Yorks versions.

Edit: answering my own question, Tyne & Wear PTE - see also the caption on https://www.flickr.com/photos/66289212@N07/15512812355 for example

Edited by eastwestdivide

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photo's of the ECML north of Morpeth. The first one, of class 37, 37221, on an up speedlink service, on 9th July, 1986, makes a splendid sight, and it may well be powering away going by the exhaust that is visible.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Great photos as always

Neil

I'm glad that someone cracked J5302, as I spent ages last night trying (unsuccessfully) to pin down a dual-numbered, split-box loco! 

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Leicestershire photo's, which are full of both interest and some sadness.

The first photo, at Saxby, with mixed formation DMU, on a Norwich to Birmingham service, in September, 1970, has a three car LMR class 104 leading, followed by a Gloucester class 100 DMBS, and a Craven's, four lamp cab end, DTCL. A typical mixed set.

The next three photos show just what we lost in the Beeching era. I hope it is never repeated.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

interesting pictures again David

Surprised to see track in what I thought was the M&GN platforms at Saxby at such a late date

The two lines beyond the running lines were the up goods loop (possibly disused by this stage) and the former M&GN line which had been left intact to serve the ironstone quarries  via the junctions at Paines Siding and Buckminster.

• RMweb Gold

interesting pictures again David

Surprised to see track in what I thought was the M&GN platforms at Saxby at such a late date

Edit  I thought I had posted this before RANGERS' post, above, but for some reason I didn't and found it had autosaved so have added a bit and posted it now.

I don't know the exact date that track was removed as I was living in Manchester at the time, but it wasn't there a few years later, as you will see from other photos at Saxby in this thread.  If I remember correctly the ironstone quarries served by the line at Paines siding closed at the end of 1971.  By that time all the iron ore from the northern side of the line was taken out via the High Dyke branch, as was anything else from the Market Overton area. (see RANGERS post above).  BR left the line in situ between Paines siding and Buckminster siding, though it was isolated from the rest of BR.  It was used when Flying Scotsman Enterprises was based at Market Overton to access the ex British Steel lines and then to run onto the High Dyke branch to get to BR at High Dyke Junction.

By the way, the platforms were often called M&GN but in fact it didn't become M&GN until just after crossing the GNR (ECML) at Little Bytham.

David

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Gold

So does that mean Saxby and high dyke were still connected to each other by BSC lines as late as 71?

There may still have been track after the closure but it was certainly out of use from Saxby Junction eastwards.

I've had a look in Midland Chronology (Gough, RCHS) and he states:

Saxby Junction to Bourne - closed March 1966

Saxby Junction to Buckminster sidings closed 10th September 1967.

Paines siding to Buckminster siding closed 6th April 1964

Re opened March 1966

Closed (again) September 1966

Reopened again 2nd  October 1967

Closed again 3rd January 1972

From March 1966 this stretch was operated by Stewarts and Lloyds (it would be the ore mining division) not by British Rail.

The dates may look odd, I think the March 1966 closure refers to through traffic as far as Bourne,  the section to Buckminster sidings was still used for ironstone traffic.

I'm not sure of the date when the track was lifted between Saxby Junction and Paines siding, but it was before December 1969  as I have a photo at Edmondthorpe and Wymondham taken then without track..

So the Saxby to High Dyke via BSC connection went sometime between September 1967 and December 1969.

David

J2417, wasn't that road conversion something to do with the upgrade of the A1 to dual carriageway?

It was a cheap way of running the old Saxby to Little Bytham road across (under in this case) the A1 because the works had already been done 100 years earlier. 

I think the road follows the old trackbed for less than a mile. 

• RMweb Gold

J2417, wasn't that road conversion something to do with the upgrade of the A1 to dual carriageway?

It was a cheap way of running the old Saxby to Little Bytham road across (under in this case) the A1 because the works had already been done 100 years earlier. 

I think the road follows the old trackbed for less than a mile. 

I believe so.

David

Theoretically yes; to the M&GN with a reversal at Saxby, and with a second reversal at South Witham the line northwards to Stainby and eventually Highdyke would be a possibility. 

• RMweb Gold

Fantastic David

Can't believe those pictures are over 30 years ago that era seems like yesterday

The boulby one in Feb 88 reminds me I was driving a train of empty oil tanks as a second man sometime in Feb 88 not sure of exact date but it was a Friday and the train came off the road spectacularly at saltburn!

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Teesside and Boulby photo’s. Boulby makes a great subject for photography. The first photo, at South Bank, with 47304 on a down limestone train, on 31st, July, 1986, has some wagons in the formation that I’m not familiar with. They are the ones with what appears to be red coloured ends. I wonder what they were for, if what Im seeing is right.

With warmest regards,

Rob.