Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

J5818 needs to be on the "prototype for everything thread", a Pullman car in a freight!

Great photographs

Jim

Could be this one: http://80srail.zenfolio.com/p584131236/h2F83482E#h2f83482e

captioned "975427 (ex M323E) acoustics section Laboratory 14 ‘Wren’"

The wagons look fairly new for 1977, BBAs maybe?

Edited by eastwestdivide

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Swayfield photos. The one of the test train in J5818 is most interesting, and, like previously stated, it will be the wagons on test. The last photo’ is a great shot of an HST running through a snowy landscape.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

had seen photos of 'wren' in red & blue livery, but never knew it ran as a test vehicle in its Pullman colours

also C5951 - I wonder if someone has just flushed the lavvy on the 2nd coach? (I have been reading the 'HST redeployments' thread recently :) )

Edited by keefer

• RMweb Premium

Could be this one: http://80srail.zenfolio.com/p584131236/h2F83482E#h2f83482e

captioned "975427 (ex M323E) acoustics section Laboratory 14 ‘Wren’"

The wagons look fairly new for 1977, BBAs maybe?

Yes, I'd say BBAs, 10 stanchions as opposed to 8 for a BAA, but as they had been around for three years by then, I would suggest that the 56 is on acceptance trials with what looks like the 12 BBAs loaded with scrap rail. The ends are in place on the wagons and 12 isn't long enough to take full lengths of long welded rail, which was my first thought. RTC obviously hadn't got around to repainting the coach into their blue/red livery at that time.

Dave

• RMweb Gold

That grid on the test train looks like one of the doncaster first built batch, looking at the lack of the kick plate below the cab door and partial surround to the buffer beam.

First 30 were Electroputere - Romanian - built. DId they acquire mods as part of fault finding?

Phil

First 30 were Electroputere - Romanian - built. DId they acquire mods as part of fault finding?

Phil

IIRC, there were problems with axleboxes on all the Romanian ones, these were dealt with at Tinsley before entering service. I copped all the early ones that way :) Edited by leopardml2341

Re the 56 test train.

The loco is on acceptance trials, the circuit starting from Tinsley where the test car was kept, collecting BBA's from Rotherham and doing a Doncaster-ECML (Peterborough I think)-Doncaster circuit.

attachicon.gif1-MSP - 487 -56003.18.13 Tinsley 01.05.77.jpg

56003 and others. Test car in background. 01.05.77

attachicon.gif1-MSP - 586 - 56038 Bawtry 29.12.77.jpg

56038, Bawtry. 29.12.77

Mike.

Thanks for posting those pics Mike, I wasn't sure whether it was memory playing tricks cos I was sure I'd seen that test car there but couldn't find a pic on t'web.

Train ID correction on J2121. Although the reporting number is unclear, it should be 1A15 09:10 Newcastle-KX The Tees-Tyne Pullman. The 6th coach is Griddle Car E1102 which was added to the train at the beginning of the year. The 4 Pullman cars in the formation indicate the Friday train. Monday to Thursday would have 5 cars. (In May 1970 the Yorkshire Pullman was still an all Pullman train).

Edited by mark54

Phil

Yup. The first 30 were modified to correct the sub standard build quality at tinsley. Because of how long this took, they entered service about the same time as the Doncaster built versions, so building them abroad saved neither time nor after the rectification at tinsley money. The give away for it being a Doncaster built one is the lack of kick plate below the cab door. If you look at the photo posted of the grids at tinsley, you can see the kick plate on the Romanian built ones.

Train ID correction on J2121. Although the reporting number is unclear, it should be 1A15 09:10 Newcastle-KX The Tees-Tyne Pullman. The 6th coach is Griddle Car E1102 which was added to the train at the beginning of the year. The 4 Pullman cars in the formation indicate the Friday train. Monday to Thursday would have 5 cars. (In May 1970 the Yorkshire Pullman was still an all Pullman train).

And the Deltic is 9013 (no crest above the nameplate).

• RMweb Premium

That grid on the test train looks like one of the doncaster first built batch, looking at the lack of the kick plate below the cab door and partial surround to the buffer beam.

J5818.

I think it's a Romanian build with full cowl and kickplate.

post-408-0-66760600-1523315855.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

I am only working on information gleaned at the time, so don't wish to dispute your information, but I heard it used the Fletton loop to save de-wiring the test coach.

Mike.

Oh, that's interesting, Mike. I can't say that I ever saw it do that - but it sounds eminently sensible. I didn't see it on too many occasions as I was preoccupied with sixth form at the time. Many times I saw it arrive and set back but I didn't usually hang around to see it go back north. Perhaps it sat on the yard, waiting for a path to/from Fletton, in between the Ratcliffe and West Burton fly-ash trains discharging. I never saw it pass the station in either direction but perhaps I was just unlucky! You might well be right.

• RMweb Gold

J5818.

I think it's a Romanian build with full cowl and kickplate.

attachicon.gif56.JPG

Cheers,

Mick

I agree, the Romanian locos also had straight front handrails, whilst the Doncaster locos were slightly curved to match the window profile. The loco also has the thick black cabside window grommets which were another Romanian feature.

There is a photo of 56032 with the Pullman car at Shireoaks in July 1977 on the same rake, the Pullman car is identified as E330E however - a Parlour First.

https://flic.kr/p/9ye7hG

The aforementioned 'RDB975427 (ex M323E) acoustics section Laboratory 14 ‘Wren' was a Kitchen First, and therefore not the vehicle in Dave's picture.

Edited by stovepipe

• RMweb Premium

Gateshead and Dunston today.

I think some of you may be looking at maps for some of the photo locations.

attachicon.gifGateshead 08217 46037 etc Aug 82 C5819.jpg

Gateshead 08217 46037 etc Aug 82 C5819

attachicon.gifGateshead QE2 bridge northbound Metro Aug 82 C5820.jpg

Gateshead QE2 bridge northbound Metro Aug 82 C5820

attachicon.gifGateshead Bensham Class 37 westbound ballast Jan 84 C6361.jpg

Gateshead Bensham Class 37 westbound ballast Jan 84 C6361

attachicon.gifGateshead Redheugh incline Jan 84 C6333.jpg

Gateshead remains of trackbed of Redheugh incline Jan 84 C6333

attachicon.gifDunston West junction near Tyneside Venturer tour Class 101 view west on Redheugh branch 14th Sept 85 C7163.jpg

Near Dunston West junction    Tyneside Venturer tour Class 101 view west on Redheugh branch 14th Sept 85 C7163

David

Cracking photos yet again Dave, thanks for sharing. C5819 has changed quite a bit now though, hardley recognisable.

Regards, Ian.

Looking at the first photo, is that part of the old LNER laundry to the rear of the locos, before the flats?

The ballast train would have probably come from Belford quarry on the way to Berwick; the tracks the train is on acted both as the route towards Hexham (via Dunston), and as the Goods lines towards Tyne Yard.

Re the 56 test train.

The loco is on acceptance trials, the circuit starting from Tinsley where the test car was kept, collecting BBA's from Rotherham and doing a Doncaster-ECML (Peterborough I think)-Doncaster circuit.

attachicon.gif1-MSP - 487 -56003.18.13 Tinsley 01.05.77.jpg

Mike.

The only part of Tinsley shed I saw in the late 70's was the two road servicing shed. Where was this in relation to your photo?

Robin