RMweb

Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

J3821 - Dornock (with an "r").

Double track now reinstated - Google Street View:

https://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/streetview?size=640x640&pano=_S31aBTlBRZoxDA3Bd4EUA&heading=73.28140037238299&fov=42.26904292621468&pitch=-2.798533926395052&key=AIzaSyAy3_Eqgwg_whwbGU3zOQFM4IG5lgaF8Qg

For some reason embankment side obviously dug back when doing so.

Thanks for all pictures posted!

Some more photos from Scotland for today - some even contain trains.

attachicon.gifDonock G and SW July 74 J3821.jpg

Donock G and SW July 74 J3821

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave . I like the Scottish photo's. Some outstanding scenery, and the last one of Cockburnspath, with a class 45, on a Edinburgh to Newcastle train, in August, 1974, is superb, so well  composed by your Father. You can almost hear the 45 as it makes its approach.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

J3821 - Dornock (with an "r").

Double track now reinstated - Google Street View:

https://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/streetview?size=640x640&pano=_S31aBTlBRZoxDA3Bd4EUA&heading=73.28140037238299&fov=42.26904292621468&pitch=-2.798533926395052&key=AIzaSyAy3_Eqgwg_whwbGU3zOQFM4IG5lgaF8Qg

For some reason embankment side obviously dug back when doing so.

Thanks for all pictures posted!

I could have sworn the "r" was in Dornock when I posted it.  Now corrected.

many thanks,

David

Hi, Dave . I like the Scottish photo's. Some outstanding scenery, and the last one of Cockburnspath, with a class 45, on a Edinburgh to Newcastle train, in August, 1974, is superb, so well  composed by your Father. You can almost hear the 45 as it makes its approach.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Think it's a Class 46.

Dave.

Thanks for publishing the Scottish photos today.I lived about a couple of miles from the Beltonford crossing for nearly 20 years and once got off a late running excursion train nearby one Saturday night after it has near miss with a lorry on the crossing!

It was either that or a 25 mile walk home from Edinburgh Waverley!

Dunbar and Cockburnspath were all familiar to me years ago

Very nice

Actually the siding at Beltonford was out of shot on the right of the picture

Edited by Steamysandy
Amendment

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I love the Harrogate photo’s. This set are particularly special bringing back so many memories. So nostalgic. In J198, at Harrogate, the class 104 DMU, on a Manchester to Harrogate, service, in June, 1965, has as the second coach, a Metropolitan Cammell class 101 TSL  or TBSL. In J423, the class 40 is probably D383, the last two numbers look right for that number. Also the weather, with snow on the ground, makes it so likely that it is Saturday, 27th, November, 1965. That is how the weather was that day. I remember it well from going on the train to York from Beverley via Market Weighton for the last time.

And what a delightful photo’ the last one is, with the 2 car class 101 moving along the line surrounded by those trees in the low angled sun. Such a shame the Ripon line was closed down.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Trains at Harrogate today between 1965 and 1967.

Harrogate Class 40 D283 Newcastle to Liverpool Nov 65 J423.jpg

Harrogate Class 40 D383? Newcastle to Liverpool Nov 65 J423

David

Apologies to Market65, but I think D393 is more likely. There is a gap in the middle number, below the centre that extends all the way to the left. Although the style of numbering is different, here is a later view of 393 at March from a very similar angle which shows that extra handrails were added to the nose:

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3608/3419281208_2456c6cb29_o.jpg

Edited by Western Glory

Trains at Harrogate today between 1965 and 1967.

Harrogate Class 40 D283 Newcastle to Liverpool Nov 65 J423.jpg

Harrogate Class 40 D383? Newcastle to Liverpool Nov 65 J423

David

Apologies to Market65, but I think D393 is more likely. There is a gap in the middle number, below the centre that extends all the way to the left. Although the style of numbering is different, here is a later view of 393 at March from a very similar angle which shows that extra handrails were added to the nose:

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3608/3419281208_2456c6cb29_o.jpg

According to http://www.brdatabase.info, in 1965 D383 was allocated to Camden and D393 to Gateshead.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photo’s on lines from Middlesbrough. All so full of interest. Those taken at Whitby are a reminder of how the railway contracted in the Beeching era, leaving just little more than a siding at Whitby. It certainly looks quite bleak in the rain that was falling when those photo’s were taken. A bit different now that the other platform is in use once more by the trains from the NYMR. The class 143 unit seems quite apt for, at the time, a branch service in that last photo’ on the 29th July, 1986.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Excellent pictures David

I'd forgotten that Whitby sat virtually trackless for a few years after the box closed

The track was lifted over the Autumn and winter of 84/85 the box was closed and line singled in September 1984.

Looks like they actually sprayed the trackbed with weedkiller as it looks neat and tidy two words not in the network rail dictionary these days as even lines and sidings that are still in use are often overgrown

I am glad that Whitby has had its fortunes revived the locals must have thought that the rest of the world had deserted them in 1986 when they saw that first view of the station.Are the other two platforms still there or have houses been built on the site?

In the photo J187 from yesterday can be seen the large wooden running in board in NER tangerine. Recently I was surprised to see that the remains of this still exist in the bushes and general mess that characterises the modern railway.

Loughborough Central since preservation this morning.

Loughborough Central Class 14 9523 and ano April 83 C5982.jpg

Loughborough Central Class 14 9523 and ano April 83 C5982

David

It's good to see a headcode panel in working order, presumably.

Something I've always wondered about is how headcodes were changed, not just for Class 14s, e.g. the nose ends on Class 20s. Which had to been done from outside the cab?

• RMweb Gold

J3696 - looks like an air-conditioned set of coaches, needing a 45/1, but at that time, those were all allocated to Toton for St Pancras services weren't they?

It could either be a 46 not working the air con or a loco covering for a failure, or a NE/SW train formed of the stock.

Sadly we will never be sure as I don't have any more details of the photo.

It puzzled me which is why I was vague about the loco.

David

Edited by DaveF