RMweb

Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

The exhibition train is very interesting as I have not seen these vehicles used in any other exhibition train. At that time they were being run by Trainex (Exhibitions on the Move) and Rea Mobile Marketing and I don't remember any stock like this. Neither the train nor the venue is in any of the lists (see my articles in the HMRS Journal if you really want to be bored to death on the subject). Do you have any other photos of it?

Jonathan David

I think this is the only photo I have of it unless I took one (that one is Dad's) - but it would have been from the same place.

David

• RMweb Gold

I think the coach in this photo is a part of the electrification exhibition train train.

http://www.departmentals.com/photo/975152

Also this photo:

http://www.departmentals.com/photo/975154

2 of the coaches were DB975152 & DB975153 which were converted from GWR 'Siphon G' vans W1315W & W2771W respectively.   The information is from the photo above.

David

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks for the references. Just before they arrived I had already had second thoughts about the LNER suggestion, realising that the roof profile was very much like a GWR Siphon.

I am surprised that I have never come across these vehicles before. Presumably this was something that BR did independently of the two commercial operators - or was the Topham's exhibition after BR had taken over around 1978? Certainly BR did organise some exhibitions before 1978.

Anyway, sorry David for hijacking your thread.

Jonathan

Thanks once again Dave for some most interesting photos. Notwithstanding that the area might now be converted to colour-light signals (I haven't personally been over that route for a few years), but I think that these days the Signal Sighting Committee might have something to say about the "clash" between the signal and footbridge in C7387.

Regards, Ian?

I didn't clock the signalling issue in that picture, I was too busy admiring the footbridge architecture...

Edited by talisman56

Loughborough Central since preservation this morning.

attachicon.gifLoughborough Central Ruston and Hornsby Qwag and RSH 39 March 75 J4160.jpg

Loughborough Central Ruston and Hornsby Qwag and RSH 39 March 75 J4160

attachicon.gifLoughborough Central GCR Director D11 506 26th April 75 C1998.jpg

Loughborough Central GCR Director D11 506 26th April 75 C1998

attachicon.gifLoughborough Central RSH rebuilt as GCR 39 April 79 J6422.jpg

Loughborough Central RSH rebuilt as GCR 39 April 79 J6422

attachicon.gifLoughborough Central Class 14 9523 and ano April 83 C5982.jpg

Loughborough Central Class 14 9523 and ano April 83 C5982

attachicon.gifLoughborough Central RSH 7597 April 83 C5983.jpg

Loughborough Central RSH 7597 April 83 C5983

attachicon.gifLoughborough Central 71000 April 83 C5985.jpg

Loughborough Central 71000 April 83 C5985

David

Hi David, J4160, the loco minus its saddle tank is one of the Ironstone Bagnalls, not an RSH, unfortunately I don't know which one of the ironstone locos it is.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Grantham to Nottingham photo’s. A really good set which are so full of interest. I particularly like J4675, at Radcliffe on Trent, with two class 20s, of which, the first one looks like 20190, on a special Nottingham to Skegness train, in August, 1975. It’s interesting to see the Jolly Fisherman headboards above each buffer, something which I like seeing.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Coincidentally, I was on the Grantham - Nottingham line this morning!

Going back a few days (I've been away again!) the 'ano' in C5982 would be D9516. The pair were part of the Gerald Boden collection and, shortly afterwards, along with English Electric Type 4 D306, they moved on to the Nene Valley Railway for many years.

Following Gerald's death the class 14s were split, with D9516 going to the GWS at Didcot and D9523 going to the Derwent Valley, whilst D306 was purchased by the Class Forty Preservation Society.

Many thanks for the references. Just before they arrived I had already had second thoughts about the LNER suggestion, realising that the roof profile was very much like a GWR Siphon.

I am surprised that I have never come across these vehicles before. Presumably this was something that BR did independently of the two commercial operators - or was the Topham's exhibition after BR had taken over around 1978? Certainly BR did organise some exhibitions before 1978.

Anyway, sorry David for hijacking your thread.

Jonathan

BR used to have several rakes of Exhibition Coaches, with a selection of types, some modified, some not. The base in later years was Salisbury Goods Yard. The vehicles covered not only BR's own exhibitions, but others for third parties, most notably the 'Stiff Records' UK tour of 1978.

There seem to have been only two Siphons in the fleet;-

TDB 975152, formerly W1315, scrapped in 1977.

TDB 150027, formerly W2790, scrapped ?

Oddly, both are listed in the HMRS 'Siphon' book as being 'Exhibition Train Generator Vans':- why would a 3-vehicle rake need two gennys?

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I love the Pilmoor photo's. So interesting and nostalgic. The last one is a great photo' of a Deltic at speed on a down express passenger service in April, 1968. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Oh goodie! Guess the Deltic time again! :sungum:

No idea... :scratchhead:

I can only guess which ones it isn't, so I won't be getting a prize for this one.

Regards, Ian.

A few more 1960s photos from Pilmoor this afternoon

Pilmoor is on the ECML north of York.

Pilmoor Class 46 171 Newcastle to Cardiff April 68 J1244.jpg

Pilmoor Class 46 171 Newcastle to Cardiff April 68 J1244

Pilmoor Class 55 down ex pass April 68 J1286.jpg

Pilmoor Class 55 down ex pass April 68 J1286

David

J1244 is a class 45 and 171 was a 46 so number not right. Not a simple typo of 117 as highest one with split headcode boxes was 107 and that's my choice.

J1286 can only be one, surely, which I'll leave to others.

Edited by Western Glory

Re J1244, last digit is 7 almost certainly and first one looks more like 1 than D, therefore must be 107 from split boxes.

Re J1286, D9004 Queen's Own Highlander. Last digit of 4 is easier to see on the far number. Cannot be D9014 as nameplate is a two-liner. Very long single-line name is the giveaway without the number.

Edited by Western Glory

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. That’s a fantastic set of photo’s of south and north of Grantham. What a great photo’, in J6061, at Barkston, of a class 120 DMU, on a Skegness to Nottingham service, in May 1978. It’s interesting to note how faint the bulbs are in the destination indicator box. They really are just too bright on most models of engines and units.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1