Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

A tunnel for modellers in C1236!  My first assumtion was that it was built to appease a local landowner as the cover seemed very shallow.

Ian Allan lists it as Glaston Tunnel but I am happy to accept your version. Just over a mile long according to the Geograph website but 1684 yards according to Wikipedia, and if the photo on the Geograph site is of the other end then the land is just as flat there - though with a lot more trees than in your photo.. But I may be wrong about the cover further from the mouth:

"June 1877. John Stone was killed when he fell 130ft down number 4 shaft hole at Glaston."

"12th August 1877. John Pickwick was killed when he fell 140ft down number 3 shaft hole at Glaston."

Both from http://harringworthvillage.org/welcome-to-harringworth/harringworth-shotley/a-history-of-harringworth-shotley/the-railway-viaduct/

Jonathan 

Long, dark and very, very damp...! There's a certain point about mid way through where there is a constant drip of water on the windscreen as I drive through it when diverted off the usual Market Harborough route. As I've mentioned before it's a very 'odd' section of railway which feels as though it exists in its own little bubble, despite the presence of colour light signalling. Any part of it would make a for a lovely model.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Chappel and Wakes Colne photo’s. So full of interest, and I like seeing the N7 in GER blue in May, 1979, in J6457.

The photo’s of Morpeth are so nostalgic, and interesting. What a fine and cold view of a class 47 on a down express passenger train in December, 1981, in C5598. That was a such cold and snowy December which I remember all too well.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Morpeth Class 37 up parcels etc Dec 81 C5604

Not sure that is just parcels behind what looks like 3703?

That looks like there are 2 GUVs followed by either something yellow or wooden crates in opens, then possibly hoppers.

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Morpeth Class 37 up parcels etc Dec 81 C5604

Not sure that is just parcels behind what looks like 3703?

That looks like there are 2 GUVs followed by either something yellow or wooden crates in opens, then possibly hoppers.

Dave

When I posted it I began to wonder about the train, hence the "etc", in the hope that someone might be able to work out what the other vehicles work.  Sadly it was a very poor slide.

Thanks for trying to work it out.

David

Long, dark and very, very damp...! There's a certain point about mid way through where there is a constant drip of water on the windscreen as I drive through it when diverted off the usual Market Harborough route. As I've mentioned before it's a very 'odd' section of railway which feels as though it exists in its own little bubble, despite the presence of colour light signalling. Any part of it would make a for a lovely model.

The water probably comes from the fishponds of Glaston Manor which are directly above, about half way through.

Despite being fairly shallow, it would likely be too deep for a cutting through and the presence of Glaston Manor probably sealed any thoughts that It might not be. At the Corby end, the tunnel emerges into a short cutting before passing over an embankment which rises to around 80 feet and includes a six arch viaduct over a tributary of the River Welland.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I like J5558 a lot; shutter pressed at exactly the right moment, nice bit of exhuast to show the loco is working hard and going fast, and the light of a freezing but clear winter day, with frost on the sleepers, captured perfectly.  

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Dry Doddington photo’s, which are full of atmosphere, and so nostalgic. In particular, J6415, with an unidentified class 55 Deltic, on a down express passenger train, in April, 1979, captures a Deltic hauled train to perfection with the exhaust indicating a hard working engine.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

I don't think that I dare venture an opinion on J6415, other than to agree that it's 5, 11 or 14. I can't see any distinguishing marks to confirm identity and all three were in traffic in April 1979. 55 014 had a large patch of paint missing to the left of the footstep on no 1 end at the time - unfortunately J6415 is of no 2 end (no vacuum exhausters).

• RMweb Premium

I don't think that I dare venture an opinion on J6415, other than to agree that it's 5, 11 or 14. I can't see any distinguishing marks to confirm identity and all three were in traffic in April 1979. 55 014 had a large patch of paint missing to the left of the footstep on no 1 end at the time - unfortunately J6415 is of no 2 end (no vacuum exhausters).

My earlier quess at 55014 was based on the impression that the nameplate looked shorter than 5 or 11, based on the position of the two grills above.

My earlier quess at 55014 was based on the impression that the nameplate looked shorter than 5 or 11, based on the position of the two grills above.

It's a very reasonable guess, Andrew. I wouldn't, personally, be comfortable in either agreeing or disagreeing with you - for me the angle is a bit too acute to take a punt. :D

• RMweb Premium

It's a very reasonable guess, Andrew. I wouldn't, personally, be comfortable in either agreeing or disagreeing with you - for me the angle is a bit too acute to take a punt. :D

Want to resolve this :-)

- The loco is too clean for 55005 looking at other photos;

- The text on the top line of the nameplate is too short for 55005;

- The loco is probably too dirty for 55011;

- The loco doesn't have the small dent to the right of the headboard clip that 55011 has at one end, or the paint chip at the other.

Can I rest my case?

C6164, it is unusual to see a class 114 at that point. I wonder where it was going? Lincoln I suppose, via the Newark curve; but I am surprised they sent it that way (unless there were redundant iron ore paths) rather than a reversal at Sleaford. 

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A truly superb set of photo’s of Skipton. The real steam railway, and what a lot of steam and smoke! Especially from 8F 48454 in January, 1967, in J762. Was anything steam tight on that engine that day? The Franco Crosti in the following photo’, 92027, was also looking most leaky too. Such powerful images from the last days of steam, which we will never experience again.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Quite an interesting picture of 'Scotsman'; I thought it only ran (after preservation) with the LNER coat of arms on the cab side but no number after it was coupled to the second tender, as the number was then carried on the side of the second tender.