Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

19 minutes ago, DaveF said:

1499161188_aLongsight304001CrewetoManchesterOxfordRoadMay71C581.jpg.5f269d12c1bc60e98ea093f764518a75.jpg

Longsight 304001 Crewe to Manchester Oxford Road May 71 C581

I've stood at that very spot a few times - used to remember the locomotives stabled at the end of the electric headshunt and the all blue 304s

Feels like yesterday sometimes, but it's half a century ago!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

J4187 does not show a Cig, sadly. There were Cigs out of Waterloo at that time, but they had the first class accommodation at the outer ends, behind the driving cab. I think this is probably a 4-TC trailer unit, which at that time would probably be the Weymouth portion of a service via Southampton and Bournemouth, being propelled by a 4-REP 3200 hp tractor unit. At the latter station it would have been taken forward to Weymouth by a Pull-Push fitted Class 33. Electrification only reached Bournemouth in those days. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

J4187 does not show a Cig, sadly. There were Cigs out of Waterloo at that time, but they had the first class accommodation at the outer ends, behind the driving cab. I think this is probably a 4-TC trailer unit, which at that time would probably be the Weymouth portion of a service via Southampton and Bournemouth, being propelled by a 4-REP 3200 hp tractor unit. At the latter station it would have been taken forward to Weymouth by a Pull-Push fitted Class 33. Electrification only reached Bournemouth in those days. 

Thanks very much.

One day I might remember to check both my and Dad's notes for errors when I post the photos!

David

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That is a most impressive set of BR blue photo’s covering different regions and dates. In J1524, at Brinklow, with a class 86, E3194, on a down freight train, in January, 1969, you can how small the bullbs were in the four character headcode box - not as big and bright as on some models.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, David. That is a most impressive set of BR blue photo’s covering different regions and dates. In J1524, at Brinklow, with a class 86, E3194, on a down freight train, in January, 1969, you can how small the bullbs were in the four character headcode box - not as big and bright as on some models.

That lovely shot at Brinklow took me right back to gloomy Saturday afternoons, sat at Blisworth, watching the electrics on expresses, in 1971/72.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. That’s a delightful set of photo’s of Longhirst, on the ECML, a few miles to the north of Morpeth. The last photo’ of 37507, on an Alcan empties train from Fort William to North Blyth, in December, 1987, shows the 37 brightening up a dull and dreary December’s day.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a most interesting selection of photo’s of the ECML in Northumberland. In  J14758, at Shilbottle, with a class 91, on a down express in June, 1994, you can see how, at an earlier date, the bridge had been strengthened. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a most excellent selection of photo’s of Brockley Whins (Boldon Colliery) and East Boldon, from between Newcastle and Sunderland. In J13778, at East Boldon, with 156409, on a Hexham to Middlesbrough service in April, 1993, it just looks like the overhead live wire warning sign has been stuck onto the dirt of the connecting gangway door. I’m sure that’s probably not the case, but it certainly looks like it. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

J13378, I'm not sure that would be 156409, looking at it on my phone I think it's 156469.

Although I'm no expert I believe that the first 20 or so 156s were allocated to Regional Railways central area at Norwich Crown Point at that time. 

The next 20 or so, I don't know exact numbers, went to RR North West and the following batches to RR North East, so would fit with 156469.

On privatisation 409 became a Central Trains unit until transferred to the Anglia area. It now runs as 156909 currently with EMR, I think as things keep changing with various cascades (sort of) underway. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, great central said:

J13378, I'm not sure that would be 156409, looking at it on my phone I think it's 156469.

Although I'm no expert I believe that the first 20 or so 156s were allocated to Regional Railways central area at Norwich Crown Point at that time. 

The next 20 or so, I don't know exact numbers, went to RR North West and the following batches to RR North East, so would fit with 156469.

On privatisation 409 became a Central Trains unit until transferred to the Anglia area. It now runs as 156909 currently with EMR, I think as things keep changing with various cascades (sort of) underway. 

Many thanks for this,

I've gone back to the original uncorrected scan and agree that it is 156469.

1994623501_Screenshot2022-04-28214356.png.6ab02c768b3214603ba44334abeece26.png

David

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, brushman47544 said:

C20526 - the Class 47 is 47298.

Thanks Andrew.  I had to do parts of today's captions in a hurry as I was not able to post the photos from my PC which has the correctly captioned images,  these are copies which happened to be on my laptop but they only had dates on them.

In due course I'll explain but there may be some disruption to posts for a few days, even though I am at home.

David

• Friendly/supportive 3

C19321, interesting. Again from memory these would have been RR Central allocated units, if I can remember I have a spotters book from about then in the garage to confirm. 

No mention of a charter using 156s on 6 bells Junction that day, I wonder where it originated, the units being around 7 years old by then.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a most delightful set of photo’s of Carlisle. In C16732, with 90016, on the 14th March, 1992, you have got the 90 well framed by the 47 on the left, and the BG on the right.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a most excellent set of photo’s of the Blyth and Tyne, from Winning to North Blyth, that you have posted, and in the next to last photo’ at North Blyth, with preserved Deltic, 55022, running round Alcan wagons, on the 11th April, 2011, you have a most impressive sight of the Deltic, which looks most imposing from that low camera angle. Also you can see, in one of the cab windscreens the special anti glare coating too. I hope the new model from Accurascale will have that coating portrayed on their new models.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

59 minutes ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, David. That’s a most excellent set of photo’s of the Blyth and Tyne, from Winning to North Blyth, that you have posted, and in the next to last photo’ at North Blyth, with preserved Deltic, 55022, running round Alcan wagons, on the 11th April, 2011, you have a most impressive sight of the Deltic, which looks most imposing from that low camera angle. Also you can see, in one of the cab windscreens the special anti glare coating too. I hope the new model from Accurascale will have that coating portrayed on their new models.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

C14574 is the Dynamic Track Stabiliser, which can reproduce the effect of several week's traffic in a night. I recollect a friend having her (newly-installed) ceiling roses and coving ending up on the carpet when the machine did the track in the cutting outside her front door.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

C14574 is the Dynamic Track Stabiliser, which can reproduce the effect of several week's traffic in a night. I recollect a friend having her (newly-installed) ceiling roses and coving ending up on the carpet when the machine did the track in the cutting outside her front door.

I recall being told of such effects by Frank Proctor, then Regional Civil Engineer, who certainly opined that he wouldn't want one working near his home!

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

6 hours ago, DaveF said:

As many of you know I am a carer for my Mum, she has had to go into hospital as she has some sort of infection.  Depending on when I can visit her the afternoon posts may be earlier or later than usual for a while.

Our best wishes to your Mum for a speedy return to good health. Please don't be concerned about posting late - or even at all, if circumstances are not convenient. There are other things, far more important than keeping us (to quote Ian Walmsley) "superannuated anoraks" satisfied.

Congratulations on the eighth anniversary. I think that I've been following the thread for about half of that time (but viewed all of the images). Thank you for all of the time and effort that you put into it, David. It is hugely appreciated.

• Like 1
  • Agree 16
  • Thanks 1