Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

A lovely collection of shots for us to savour, again, David. Difficult to pick a favourite!

However, on the caption for C5697, it should be 40 055, vice 40 065. The latter was a Haymarket loco and was one of the batch that had their disc indicators replaced by four-character headcode panels, in the 1960s,

• Thanks 1

DSC_0902:  Lumo operate class 803 units and looking at the number on the Pantograph Driving Trailer First (PDTF) this is set 803005.  These Lumo things always belt through Peterborough and I have to use a shutter speed of 1/1000 to get anything near as good as your photo.  Do you know what settings you used for your excellent shot?

Chris Turnbull

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Chris Turnbull said:

DSC_0902:  Lumo operate class 803 units and looking at the number on the Pantograph Driving Trailer First (PDTF) this is set 803005.  These Lumo things always belt through Peterborough and I have to use a shutter speed of 1/1000 to get anything near as good as your photo.  Do you know what settings you used for your excellent shot?

Chris Turnbull

Dave's technique is not in doubt - it works! - but I suggest you try panning the camera, having taken first focus, and click as you pan. Do not stop panning until after your last shot. That way you reduce the amount of movement of the train at the moment of exposure, and may well blur the background a little, particularly if you choose a speed rather lower than 1/1000. The joy of digital is that it enables experimentation without cost, unlike film days.  

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Chris Turnbull said:

Chris Turnbull

Chris,

Many thanks for the information about the Lumo set.  I am still learning about Class 800s - I had a few years gap in railway photography as I was caring for my Mum and didn't get out much.

As for the exposure details.  

First I took that photo at Morpeth where there is a 50mph limit because of the curves at each end of the station.  However I do exactly the same on faster stretches, usually up to100mph in Northumberland, but obviously 125 mph further south.

I usually use a Nikon D7200 with a Nikon 18-200 zoom.  Then I use shutter priority, normally at 1/1000 and set ISO to auto. A D7200 gives acceptable results at up to around ISO 6000 - as I know from taking picrtures inside the loco shed at the Tanfield Railway.  Then I let the aperture take care of itself.  I usually  set the focal length for railway photos at between (in 35mm equivalent)  28mm and 135mm.  The long end of the lens is usually used for other subjects.  I always use autofocus and get it sharp by focussing the track or something just before the train gets to the chosen spot.  

If I am standing right by the fence somewhere where it might be doing 125mph I sometimes use a faster shutter speed but have never really noticed the difference.

If I haven't got a Nikon with me then I always carry a Canon IXUS - I think it's a 175 -  which just set to programme usually gives a high shutter speed, it tends to be around 1/1000 unless the light is very poor.  

If you right click on any of my images on RMWeb there is a download option, if you do that then the exposure details (at least for digital images) are in Properties.  If you look at my images on flickr then for digital ones you can again acess the information.  Note that I upload images at around 1500 pixels across at a file size of around 350 to 450 Kb.

I find my problem is that now and then the right hand edge can be unsharp.  I have realised that if I am in a hurry to get to the right spot then it is easy to press the shutter release a bit firmly which can cause a minute amount of movement in the camera.  Or it could just be old age making it harder to hold the camera still!  It is more of a problem for landscape photographers, hence the use of tripods.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

3 hours ago, Chris Turnbull said:

Chris Turnbull

Except LUMO are Standard Class only, so its a PDTS (Pantograph Driving Trailer Standard). 😉 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, hexagon789 said:

Except LUMO are Standard Class only, so its a PDTS (Pantograph Driving Trailer Standard). 😉 

Yes, you are quite right about standard class only - and I have just been reading about LUMO in this month's Modern Railways.  In my defence I would point out that I got the details from Rail Guide 2022  where the two end cars are given as a PDTS one end and a PDTF (845005) the other.  Either this is a misprint or the "F" stands for something else, although what I don't know.

Edit:  It's a misprint.  I have just looked in Rolling Stock Review 2022 - 2023 and the two end cars are both PDTS.

Chris Turnbull

Edited by Chris Turnbull
As noted
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, DaveF said:

Chris,

Many thanks for the information about the Lumo set.  I am still learning about Class 800s - I had a few years gap in railway photography as I was caring for my Mum and didn't get out much.

As for the exposure details.  

First I took that photo at Morpeth where there is a 50mph limit because of the curves at each end of the station.  However I do exactly the same on faster stretches, usually up to100mph in Northumberland, but obviously 125 mph further south.

I usually use a Nikon D7200 with a Nikon 18-200 zoom.  Then I use shutter priority, normally at 1/1000 and set ISO to auto. A D7200 gives acceptable results at up to around ISO 6000 - as I know from taking picrtures inside the loco shed at the Tanfield Railway.  Then I let the aperture take care of itself.  I usually  set the focal length for railway photos at between (in 35mm equivalent)  28mm and 135mm.  The long end of the lens is usually used for other subjects.  I always use autofocus and get it sharp by focussing the track or something just before the train gets to the chosen spot.  

If I am standing right by the fence somewhere where it might be doing 125mph I sometimes use a faster shutter speed but have never really noticed the difference.

If I haven't got a Nikon with me then I always carry a Canon IXUS - I think it's a 175 -  which just set to programme usually gives a high shutter speed, it tends to be around 1/1000 unless the light is very poor.  

If you right click on any of my images on RMWeb there is a download option, if you do that then the exposure details (at least for digital images) are in Properties.  If you look at my images on flickr then for digital ones you can again acess the information.  Note that I upload images at around 1500 pixels across at a file size of around 350 to 450 Kb.

I find my problem is that now and then the right hand edge can be unsharp.  I have realised that if I am in a hurry to get to the right spot then it is easy to press the shutter release a bit firmly which can cause a minute amount of movement in the camera.  Or it could just be old age making it harder to hold the camera still!  It is more of a problem for landscape photographers, hence the use of tripods.

David

Thank you so much for your detailed response.  I didn't know I could retrieve the settings of my photos by going to the properties tab.  That bit of information will be very useful.

I now have a Canon EOS 550D which my son-in-law wanted to get rid of so I bought it off him.  I also bought the Dummies book for that camera which I found invaluable.  I take all my photos with the settings on manual which I've now got the hang of.  This allows me to get the shutter speed and depth of field right.  The ISO takes care of itself if set to auto.  One thing I did think I might buy is another lens.  I only have the 18 - 55mm lens that comes with the camera whereas you have an 18 - 200mm lens.  I don't want to have to carry too much weight around with me so do you find it very useful?  Is it worthwhile buying?  

Chris Turnbull 

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Chris Turnbull said:

Thank you so much for your detailed response.  I didn't know I could retrieve the settings of my photos by going to the properties tab.  That bit of information will be very useful.

I now have a Canon EOS 550D which my son-in-law wanted to get rid of so I bought it off him.  I also bought the Dummies book for that camera which I found invaluable.  I take all my photos with the settings on manual which I've now got the hang of.  This allows me to get the shutter speed and depth of field right.  The ISO takes care of itself if set to auto.  One thing I did think I might buy is another lens.  I only have the 18 - 55mm lens that comes with the camera whereas you have an 18 - 200mm lens.  I don't want to have to carry too much weight around with me so do you find it very useful?  Is it worthwhile buying?  

Chris Turnbull 

I find the long end 18-200 useful when I can't get close to things, for some very basic wildlife work, even some landscapes and now and then trains such as the ones taken at Northumberlandia.

However the D7200 with the 18-200 is heavy to carry for any length of time, especially as I have a slight shoulder problem.  I often carry it just on my left shoulder (the good one) and support some of the weight with my hand.  I only put it round my neck when I am actually taking photos.

It's one reason why I have the Canon Ixus for the days when my shoulder hurts as it has an equivalent zoom range but not quite the picture quality.  However if I am going for a longish walk it is handy as it weighs almost nothing.

I also have a Nikon D3100 (bought second hand) with an 18-135 zoom, that is lovely and light.  If I hadn't got the 18-200 I probably would not buy one now, as I get older the weight is more of an issue - I'm 73.  I think I'd stick with the 18-135.

Eventually I know I will have to give up on cameras with interchanable lenses and buy some thing like a Canon G7 or something with some zoom and full manual control. 

My recommendation is that before you buy another lens make sure you try one on a camera and see what it feels like to hold and carry.

David

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

41 minutes ago, DaveF said:

I find the long end 18-200 useful when I can't get close to things, for some very basic wildlife work, even some landscapes and now and then trains such as the ones taken at Northumberlandia.

However the D7200 with the 18-200 is heavy to carry for any length of time, especially as I have a slight shoulder problem.  I often carry it just on my left shoulder (the good one) and support some of the weight with my hand.  I only put it round my neck when I am actually taking photos.

It's one reason why I have the Canon Ixus for the days when my shoulder hurts as it has an equivalent zoom range but not quite the picture quality.  However if I am going for a longish walk it is handy as it weighs almost nothing.

I also have a Nikon D3100 (bought second hand) with an 18-135 zoom, that is lovely and light.  If I hadn't got the 18-200 I probably would not buy one now, as I get older the weight is more of an issue - I'm 73.  I think I'd stick with the 18-135.

Eventually I know I will have to give up on cameras with interchanable lenses and buy some thing like a Canon G7 or something with some zoom and full manual control. 

My recommendation is that before you buy another lens make sure you try one on a camera and see what it feels like to hold and carry.

David

Thank you for confirming that weight can be a problem with these lenses.  I have experience of the enormous telephoto lense and camera I inherited from my father.  This was back in the early 1990s and, whilst it was a lovely camera (an Olympus - film, of course), it and the three lenses that I acquired weighed a ton, especially after half an hour of lugging them around stations and the like.  I do not want to repeat this state of affairs as I am not getting any younger.  Whilst I am slightly younger than you, I am still in my 70s and like to travel as lightly as possible these days.

Chris Turnbull 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Chris Turnbull said:

Thank you for confirming that weight can be a problem with these lenses.  I have experience of the enormous telephoto lense and camera I inherited from my father.  This was back in the early 1990s and, whilst it was a lovely camera (an Olympus - film, of course), it and the three lenses that I acquired weighed a ton, especially after half an hour of lugging them around stations and the like.  I do not want to repeat this state of affairs as I am not getting any younger.  Whilst I am slightly younger than you, I am still in my 70s and like to travel as lightly as possible these days.

Chris Turnbull 

A telephoto lens that would suit your camera well is the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM and at 375g it is very light.  I'm in my 70's too so lightness of equipment is paramount when out and about.

There are some sample photos taken with this lens in this video of mine. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_jya1Fy8pg

If you look at my Youtube channel in my signature below a lot of clips in the videos have been taken using that Canon lens.

Edited by Donington Road
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a very interesting set of replacement photo’s on the Great Central Railway at Hotchley Hill, at the Plaster Boardsidings, adjacent to Ruschcliffe Halt. Showing the breakdown train coming to rescue D18, in July, 1971,  they show much detail which is of use for modellers. In J2715, of D18 being re-railed, with two part traversing jacks, it’s fascinating to see the bogie lifted in the air clear of the rails. That’s where, on my model railway, it is The Hand Of God which gets the model re-railed. 😉
The cool and wintry photo’s of Damdykes, south of Cramlington, are reminders that the weather is continuing to warm up. In C20706, with a class 91 at the rear of the train, on a down express, on the 27th December, 1995, you can see the snow flurry which helps to weather the train. The next photo’, C20708, of a 156, 156448, on a Newcastle to Morpeth service, on the 27th December, 1995, also is an excellent example of the snow flurry and self weathering of the train. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ray M said:

I dont remember those tracks on the far left ( J1075)

I wounder if they had gone by the early 70s, when we would go on a Saturday to Watch the Deltics 

come through the centre roads.

Those lines were made OOU in March 1969 and lifted later in the year/early 1970. The was also another line that crossed the road that used to serve Porter's Wood Yard.

• Thanks 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That is a fantastic selection of replacement photo’s from Selby, in April, 1966 and August, 1967. In the first photo’, with class 40, D243, on an up empty ballast train, in April, 1966, you have a great shot of the 40 and the many tracks beyond it which no longer exist - just the two lines between the two platforms, and the bay platform are left. 

The photo’s of Dudley, on the ECML to the south of Damdykes are excellent with something not too often captured in J8620, with a HST on an up Edinburgh to London King’s Cross express service, in July, 1986. And it is the Executive Saloon which is good to see, being photographed not too often.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a fantastic set of replacement photo’s of Ryde Esplanade as in 1964 and 1975. In C2149, with 4VEC, 045, on a Pier Head to Shanklin service, in June, 1975, you can see the red disc on the rear car instead of a taillight.
The York photo’s are as interesting as ever, and in J3685, with two two car 101’s on a York to Leeds service, in May, 1974, it can just be seen that both DTCL’s have their window frames painted in the body colour, instead of the well known unpainted frames.

In the last photo’, of V2, 4771, on the Scarborough Spa Express, on the 3rd August, 1986, you have captured a classic view of the station with a train in it. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1