Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. The replacement photo’s of Barton on Humber are excellent, and J136, of a class 114 DMU, in June, 1964, unless I’m much mistaken, on the top of the cab roof are traces of the white finish. 

The ECML in Northumberland at Buston Barns photo’s are a superb selection, and in J9143, with a class 143, on a Newcastle to Alnmouth service, in August, 1987, a forbidding, stormy looking sky has been well captured, and the 143 is part of a superbly composed photograph.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a superb set of replacement photo’s of Derby. In the last photo’ of 25134 and 25126 on a Derby to Skegness service, and with 45014, on a service to the south west, on the 8th August,1977, you have captured a great portrait shot of 25134. 
The photo’s of the ECML in Northumberland at Ulgham Lane crossing are an excellent selection, and the first one of 56119, on a Butterwell to Blyth Power station coal train in December, 1989, is a well caught shot of the 56 giving out a good plume of exhaust as it accelerates from what may have been either a red signal or permanent way restriction. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That is a great selection of photo’s of Scout Green on Shap, on the WCML from 1973 and 1976. In J5412, with 86015, on a Liverpool to Glasgow express, in August, 1976, the second carriage would appear to be an all first. 
The ECML photo’s from between Darlington and Newcastle are fascinating, and the last one at Tyne Yard, with a HST, on an  up express on the 7th March, 1987, shows that although the power cars had been repainted, the Mklll’s were still waiting for their new coat of paint.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DaveF said:

J4304

Would that 3-coach train have been on the Peterborough/Cambridge-Bury-Ipswich-Colchester axis? Pretty sure there were some loco-hauled turns there long into the 1970s. Otherwise a bit short for a London train! Anyone know the headcodes from back then?

Edited by eastwestdivide
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, eastwestdivide said:

Would that 3-coach train have been on the Peterborough/Cambridge-Bury-Ipswich-Colchester axis? Pretty sure there were some loco-hauled turns there long into the 1970s. Otherwise a bit short for a London train! Anyone know the headcodes from back then?

By the turn of the 1970s, the only loco-hauled train on that axis would have been the 12:?? Harwich Parkeston Quay to Peterborough and the 16:48 return (1B13/1C15 - later in the decade they became 1B69/1C18). This was usually a six-coach formation. Monday to Fridays it would be a regular class 31/1 diagram. On a Saturday, in the early part of the decade, it varied between a class 31/0 and a class 37. Latterly it was a class 37 (sometimes a 47).

Following the closure of the GN/GE Joint line, the 07:17 Harwich Parkeston Quay to Manchester Piccadilly (1M72) and its 15:15 return (1E87) also ran via Peterborough, which was a class 37 diagram with a longer rake (I forget how many vehicles, now!). By the 1980s, this had become "The European", running onward to/from Glasgow Central and Edinburgh Waverley, via the West Coast main line, and was a Stratford class 47 diagram (47/0s, initially, later moving to 47/4s, once air-conditioned stock had been cascaded).

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, 35A said:

By the 1980s, this had become "The European", running onward to/from Glasgow Central and Edinburgh Waverley, via the West Coast main line, and was a Stratford class 47 diagram (47/0s, initially, later moving to 47/4s, once air-conditioned stock had been cascaded).

But very rarely actually worked by a Stratford 47. 

We used to go out for it most evenings and it would normally be a "foreigner", if SF locos got sent north on it they didn't come back for ages and SF liked to keep their own locos local if they could.

Andi

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, eastwestdivide said:

Quoting myself, a quick google for 1K11 shows mentions of a 37-hauled 1K11 0712 Ipswich - Liverpool St via Cambridge running in 1976 and 1977 at https://www.class37.co.uk/fleet.aspx?strnumber=37035

but DaveF's photo is captioned "up" 

???!

Edited by eastwestdivide
typo
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, eastwestdivide said:

Quoting myself, a quick google for 1K11 shows mentiones of a 37-hauled 1K11 0712 Ipswich - Liverpool St via Cambridge running in 1976 and 1977 at https://www.class37.co.uk/fleet.aspx?strnumber=37035

???!

I remember seeing the Ipswich-Liverpool St. & vice versa passing through Cambridge, where we knew it as the "Bury Fenman".  But it was a full length set, 8 or 9 coaches, and it didn't go through Manningtree anyway!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, eastwestdivide said:

1 hour ago, 35A said:

By the turn of the 1970s, the only loco-hauled train on that axis would have been the 12:?? Harwich Parkeston Quay to Peterborough and the 16:48 return (1B13/1C15 - later in the decade they became 1B69/1C18). This was usually a six-coach formation. Monday to Fridays it would be a regular class 31/1 diagram. On a Saturday, in the early part of the decade, it varied between a class 31/0 and a class 37. Latterly it was a class 37 (sometimes a 47).

Following the closure of the GN/GE Joint line, the 07:17 Harwich Parkeston Quay to Manchester Piccadilly (1M72) and its 15:15 return (1E87) also ran via Peterborough, which was a class 37 diagram with a longer rake (I forget how many vehicles, now!). By the 1980s, this had become "The European", running onward to/from Glasgow Central and Edinburgh Waverley, via the West Coast main line, and was a Stratford class 47 diagram (47/0s, initially, later moving to 47/4s, once air-conditioned stock had been cascaded).

25 minutes ago, eastwestdivide said:

Quoting myself, a quick google for 1K11 shows mentions of a 37-hauled 1K11 0712 Ipswich - Liverpool St via Cambridge running in 1976 and 1977 at https://www.class37.co.uk/fleet.aspx?strnumber=37035

???!

4 minutes ago, 31A said:

I remember seeing the Ipswich-Liverpool St. & vice versa passing through Cambridge, where we knew it as the "Bury Fenman".  But it was a full length set, 8 or 9 coaches, and it didn't go through Manningtree anyway!

Assuming the headcode is correct, 1K11 was indeed the 0712 Ipswich-Cambridge-London Liverpool St. as Eastwestdivide has found some searches suggesting.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, 35A said:

46 minutes ago, Dagworth said:

But very rarely actually worked by a Stratford 47. 

We used to go out for it most evenings and it would normally be a "foreigner", if SF locos got sent north on it they didn't come back for ages and SF liked to keep their own locos local if they could.

Andi

23 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

17 minutes ago, eastwestdivide said:

Quoting myself, a quick google for 1K11 shows mentiones of a 37-hauled 1K11 0712 Ipswich - Liverpool St via Cambridge running in 1976 and 1977 at https://www.class37.co.uk/fleet.aspx?strnumber=37035

???!

The first four photos, including J4304 the 37 on the 3 coach train were all taken in the evening on a weekday.  The 37 is just about to enter Maningtree station from the north, heading south.  So it cannot be going to Harwich.  I suspect it is around 6-7p.m.

At the time Dad often had to spend about 3 days a week in Ipswich for work, he and I sometimes met in the area to take some photos and have dinner (at a pub/retsaurant near Bentley) before he returned to his hotel in Ipswich and I went back to Basildon.

Sadly I don't have any GE working timetables for the period. 

David

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a superb set of replacement photo’s of Manningtree South Junction. In the last photo’, with a two car class 105, on a Harwich to Manningtree service, in November, 1976, it can be seen that something has happened to the destination roller blind box. Despite enlarging the photo’, I’m not sure if it’s been boarded over, or something else.

The black and white Cambridge photo’s from 1947/48, are real gems, and a bit of a mystery to me in JVol1220, with an F6, 7236, on an empty coaching stock movement, in 1948, the carriage on the right has the letters for Brake Third Corridor, BTK, but then they are followed by NLBS. I cannot think what NLBS stands for, unless it is the initials of stations of a diagrammed local working.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1