Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a superb selection of photo’s of the Inverness to Kyle of Lochalsh line, at Plockton and Kyle of Lochalsh. In J3324, at Plockton, with a class 26, on a Kyle to Inverness service, in August, 1973, you have the train sandwiched in between the tree covered hillside, and the water in the foreground. You can also see the refections of the masts in the water. That photo’ would make an excellent oil painting.

The Newcastle photo’s are excellent and in C13864, of the QE2 Metro Bridge, with a Metro crossing it, and the King Edward bridge, on the 18th November, 1989, you have captured a delightful shot of the Metro bridge in very slightly misty conditions. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

On 25/11/2022 at 09:40, DaveF said:

Some photos from the Great Eastern for this morning's replacements.  

922076660_fHaroldWood47091upcontinentalgoods13thJune76C2788.jpg.9acdc2112345b458c9f38be20b3d63a2.jpg

Harold Wood 47091 up continental goods 13th June 76 C2788

David

Nice, three Associated Octel tanks and an Algeco. 

Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. Sorry I’m late again, my internet has been off again today until just recently. The photo’s of the preserved Great Central Railway at Loughborough and Quorn, are full of interest, and in C11989, at Loughborough Central, with GWR, 6990, Witherslack Hall, and RSH, 7597, on the 10th June, 1989, on the track furthest from your camera can be seen a preserved GCR Barnum carriage. I forget if it is the only example of a Barnum to be preserved.

The Derbyshire replacements photo’s at Great Rocks, are fascinating, and in the last photo’ of 47532, on a short down goods train on the 24th August, 1990, with the camera angle and distance, it makes it look like an N gauge model. ;)

The Great Central Railway photo’s from Stanford on Soar, just north of Loughborough, are superb, and in JVol3069, with B1, 61158, on an express passenger train from Marylebone to Sheffield, in c1950, it can be seen that there is a headboard on the centre lamp iron turned back to front. I wonder if the train was a Saturday working of a Monday to Friday named express?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

J1114 got me thinking. Go back the same amount of time as between that photo and today and really all that would be different would be the locomotive and the signal. Between 1967 and now about the only thing that would be the same would be the locomotive. The track would now be flat-bottomed. In all likelihood even the signal would have been changed to an LED type, and the rolling stock would be completely different as would be the traffic carried. Some class 37s soldier on in various liveries nothing like that of BR.

And that is in the time I have been looking at railways.

Jonathan

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

J1114 got me thinking. Go back the same amount of time as between that photo and today and really all that would be different would be the locomotive and the signal. Between 1967 and now about the only thing that would be the same would be the locomotive. The track would now be flat-bottomed. In all likelihood even the signal would have been changed to an LED type, and the rolling stock would be completely different as would be the traffic carried. Some class 37s soldier on in various liveries nothing like that of BR.

And that is in the time I have been looking at railways.

Jonathan

And let's not forget overgrown backsides and graffiti covered wagons... I know which era I prefer. 

Can't wait for someone to create a device to upload you onto your model railway I'm going to stay on mine permanently! 

• Like 3

The clock tower has also been extensively re built I understand, due surprisingly to deterioration of the original brickwork.

Truly a station fit for an important city, compared with the low roofed thing in the meadows, squatting under the GC viaduct, that passes for Nottingham's railway station now.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a fabulous set of replacement photo’s of Pilmoor from September, 1967. In J1125, with a class 55 Deltic on the 12.00, Newcastle to Colchester, via the coast, with the King’s Cross portion attached onto 1A27 at York, unless I’m seeing things, the third carriage from the rear looks like a Thompson SK. I know some survived into 1967, so it’s not too unlikely.

The Nottingham Victoria station photo’s from the late 1940’s and the early 1950’s, are all gems, with JVol7102, with a class J5, 65491, on a Grantham to Derby Friargate service in c1951, is a fascinating view of the engine, the carriages, staff and passengers. It really is another world compared with today.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, D7063 said:

I'm no expert on Deltic variations but what are the two black dots either side of the top of 'nose' of D9007 Pinza in J1116, are they horn grills like on a class 40?

What on earth !

I have never seen them in my life.

Kev.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, D7063 said:

I'm no expert on Deltic variations but what are the two black dots either side of the top of 'nose' of D9007 Pinza in J1116, are they horn grills like on a class 40?

51 minutes ago, SHMD said:

What on earth !

I have never seen them in my life.

Kev.

They appear on a number of photos of D9007 on the web when in green with full yellow ends.

The notes copied below come from the Chronicles of Napier page on D9007:

web page:    http://www.napier-chronicles.co.uk/9007.htm

1st EE maintenance contract expires - mileage recorded at 799,147.
Experimental warning horns inserted into the nose cones of both No.1 and No.2 ends.
Experimental Syphonic warning horns were fitted.
Locomotive underwent audible testing of experimental Syphonic nose cone fitted warning air horns between Arelsley and Great Ponton with D9016 (standard fitted warning horn below buffer beam) and D9018 (bonnet fitted horns - later fitted as standard).

Released from Doncaster Works, after General repair, with full yellow ends applied and experimental ETH equipment.
Released from Doncaster Works, after General repair, in blue livery (the experimental nose-cone fitted air horns were also removed.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 8

9 minutes ago, DaveF said:

They appear on a number of photos of D9007 on the web when in green with full yellow ends.

The notes copied below come from the Chronicles of Napier page on D9007:

web page:    http://www.napier-chronicles.co.uk/9007.htm

1st EE maintenance contract expires - mileage recorded at 799,147.
Experimental warning horns inserted into the nose cones of both No.1 and No.2 ends.
Locomotive underwent audible testing of experimental Syphonic nose cone fitted warning air horns between Arelsley and Great Ponton with D9016 (standard fitted warning horn below buffer beam) and D9018 (bonnet fitted horns - later fitted as standard).

Released from Doncaster Works, after General repair, with full yellow ends applied and experimental ETH equipment.
Released from Doncaster Works, after General repair, in blue livery (the experimental nose-cone fitted air horns were also removed.

David

That's great thank you David!!!!!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, russ p said:

And let's not forget overgrown backsides and graffiti covered wagons... I know which era I prefer. 

Can't wait for someone to create a device to upload you onto your model railway I'm going to stay on mine permanently! 

Aaaargh!

Reminds me of a story called "The Attic Express", which was featured in the Fourth Pan Book of Horror Stories.

Interesting, but as to be expected, didn't end well😮

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DaveF said:

In all of the times, over the years, that I have looked at pictures of D9007 with the syphonic horns fitted, I have NEVER noticed that the ETH jumpers had been fitted at that time. Shocking - I must pay more attention!  🙄😁

• Like 1
  • Funny 1