RMweb

Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Dagworth said:

in C3733 is that a 1500?

Andi

Morning Andi

The Class 45 were originally numbered as D11 - D137 and latter to 45001 - 45077 &  45101 - 150.

As for 1500 this was a Class 47

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, jcarta said:

Morning Andi

The Class 45 were originally numbered as D11 - D137 and latter to 45001 - 45077 &  45101 - 150.

As for 1500 this was a Class 47

The car in the foreground is a Triumph, not sure though if it's a 1500 or a Dolly (It doesn't have the D of the Dolomite on the rear pillars)

Andi

• Informative/Useful 1

On 15/01/2023 at 20:28, Market65 said:

Good evening, David. That’s an excellent set of photo’s of the Foxfield Railway, at Dilhorne, in 1976 and 1978. In C2901, with Simplex, Helen, in July, 1976, you have captured a great end on shot of the locomotive complete with the Foxfield Railway crest on the bonnet end.

The Leeds photo’s are a superb selection, and despite it being that dull November day in the first photo’, it is still a sight to savour, as the Flying Pig, 43130, makes it’s way past you on the ECS movement.

In C761, with 47, 1961, on the up ‘Thames Clyde Express’, in November, 1971, it can just be seen that the leading vehicle is possibly a bogie Van B. 

The photo’s of the Blyth and Tyne between Winning and North Blyth, are of much interest, with the last photo’ of particular interest, of Cambois, in May, 1981. It appears to be a crane on a converted bogie bolster wagon, with two other wagons, the nearest of which is a four wheel, twin bolster, with girders above the bolster, supporting two ‘drums’. I wonder what it would have been used for? It’s difficult to discern much about the wagon furthest away from the camera unfortunately.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

The load on the wagon is one of the loading chutes from the staithes; these were hinged at the landward end, the other end being lifted/ lowered by steel cable according to the state of the tide and the size of the ship. This reduced the amount of dust around the place, and made the trimmers' job a bit easier.

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, DaveF said:

A few photos from Pilmoor in the late 1960s for lunchtime.

45193551_PilmoorClass101(centrecarunidentifiedtype)YorktoNewcastleMarch67J789.jpg.211bbb4033c929482b9987c8502ada4f.jpg

Pilmoor Class 111 (centre car unidentified type) York to Newcastle? March 67 J789  Note the lining variations

Is the centre car from a Calder Valley Class 110 unit?

Interesting to see that the headcode panel in the Class 111 is already not in use. And on a modelling note, its livery is the one version Bachmann is unlikely to produce on its Met-Cam unit because the various windows are not all at the correct height to allow the upper and central lining to be positioned correctly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dagworth said:

The car in the foreground is a Triumph, not sure though if it's a 1500 or a Dolly (It doesn't have the D of the Dolomite on the rear pillars)

Andi

Definitely a FWD 1500 as the earliest Dolomites used the new 1850 engine. L reg is 1st August 1972 to 31st  July 73, too early for a 1500 Dolomite. Badging was different too.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. What a fantastic and atmospheric set of photo’s of Ribblehead on the Settle to Carlisle line. The first one of an ex-LMS, 8F, on a down goods train, in September, 1966, is a perfect side shot of the train as it blasts up the Long Drag. And PH104, of a class 45, on an up express passenger service, in December, 1967, shows how bleak and isolated the viaduct was with just sheep for company.

The photo’s of Pilmoor from the late Sixties are superb, and regarding the centre car in the first photo’ with the two class 111 driving cars, it is a class 104, not class 110, since the lack of window frames is the main clue. The times I’ve had to scrape the frames from round the windows on the Hornby 110 to convert it to class 104…

Now, in J0878, with a class 40, D278, on an up vans train, in May, 1967, you can see, towards to rear of the train, a Mkl sleeping car.

The photo’s of the ECML in Northumberland at Chevington and Longhoughton, are a delightful selection, with J12034, at Chevington, with a class 91, on an up training working, going away from the camera, in June, 1991, it is an excellent example of a short set of just three MklV’s which should fit onto most layouts.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 2

Just for fun, I thought that I'd have a go at narrowing down the 'Deltic' in J1216.

It's clearly one of the Finsbury Park racehorses. Of the eight, only "ST. PADDY", "TULYAR" and "BALLYMOSS" were still green at the start of 1968. "ST. PADDY" (D9001) was in traffic until 25th February, when it went into Doncaster for attention;  "TULYAR" (D9015) was in works for almost the entire month - it was released on 22nd but went back in on 27th with no 1 power unit and generator faults (it probably worked very little over those few days that it was out, if at all);   "BALLYMOSS" (D9018) was only available on 1st to 4th February, going into works on 5th, where it remained for the rest of the month.

Gen courtesy of Paul Bettany at www.napier-chronicles.co.uk.

You might be able to reach a conclusion as to the ID, if you have a rough idea of the date of the image. Chances are, though, that it's D9001.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, 35A said:

Just for fun, I thought that I'd have a go at narrowing down the 'Deltic' in J1216.

It's clearly one of the Finsbury Park racehorses. Of the eight, only "ST. PADDY", "TULYAR" and "BALLYMOSS" were still green at the start of 1968. "ST. PADDY" (D9001) was in traffic until 25th February, when it went into Doncaster for attention;  "TULYAR" (D9015) was in works for almost the entire month - it was released on 22nd but went back in on 27th with no 1 power unit and generator faults (it probably worked very little over those few days that it was out, if at all);   "BALLYMOSS" (D9018) was only available on 1st to 4th February, going into works on 5th, where it remained for the rest of the month.

Gen courtesy of Paul Bettany at www.napier-chronicles.co.uk.

You might be able to reach a conclusion as to the ID, if you have a rough idea of the date of the image. Chances are, though, that it's D9001.

It was probably a Saturday early to mid February, though there is a very small chance it could be as late as the third week, in which case it could be midweek.

Usually I can the dates down nearer than that but the only photos Dad took that month were a few at Pilmoor and one on Harrogate Stray.  It must have been a month with a lot of dull or cold weather.

David

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

More great photos and I am sure I am not alone in being pleased you got good news from the hospital. Get some rest and we all look forward to your next photo instalment tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7
  • Thanks 1

Glad to hear all is ok down below Dave.

I've been there too. The stuff you need to take to clear the bowel is truly the work of the devil, especially if you are scheduled for morning, so little or no sleep the night before too.

Take care.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

And of course it clears out the good bugs too. It took me a few weeks to get back to "normal". I hope you are quicker.

And was it a coincidence that you chose these photos on a day it snowed?

Many thanks for all your posts but have a rest if you need to. We can survive without our daily fix.

Jonathan

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. Firstly, I’m pleased that nothing nasty was found after the Colonoscopy, and, hopefully, you’ll sleep much better tonight.
The photo’s you’ve been able to post of Morpeth, from the 1980’s are a superb set, and very cold looking with all that snow and ice. In C6382, with a class 254, HST, on an up express, with a class 101 DMU in the up siding, in  January, 1984, you have captured well the exhaust as the HST accelerates away. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

Get well soon David. I had a blood test today and on top of three weeks of some sort of dreadful lurgy I've spent all day with a hoodie on, wooly hat and wrapped in a blanket in front of the stove. And I'm only 55! 

Loving the photos as always. 

Regards 

Guy

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

On 17/01/2023 at 13:08, DaveF said:

A few photos from Pilmoor in the late 1960s for lunchtime.

1814442635_PilmoorClass40D278upvansMay67J0878.jpg.2f324f5c552dee32bbf8d1822b40cc97.jpg

Pilmoor Class 40 D278 up vans May 67 J0878

David

Is that a Pullman Mk1 two thirds down the train. It appears to have the slightly different profile the Pullmans have. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flapland said:

Is that a Pullman Mk1 two thirds down the train. It appears to have the slightly different profile the Pullmans have. 

It's a bit indistinct but that's a normal MK1......white toilet windows. Looks shiny with a central crest. Ex York works? 

Regards

Guy

• Like 3