RMweb

Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

In J923 was the track to the right of the line originally another line? It looks very much like it.

Jonathan

I'm not sure exactly where Dad took the photo except that it seems to be on the edge of the town, it might be the trackbed of the line to St Combs from Fraserburgh.

David

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a fascinating set of photo’s of places in Scotland beginning with F and G. C6902, at Garelochead, taken from the train hauled by 37259 and 37121, WBHS  Fort William to Newcastle, on the 11th May, 1985, being a superb shot, and it will be of use for modellers.

The photo’s of Peascliffe Tunnel, on the ECML north of Grantham, in 1970, 1977 and 1983, are a splendid selection. C6115, of 31209, on an up bullion train, in July, 1983, is a superb photo’ of a train I have rarely seen.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, DaveF said:

I'm not sure exactly where Dad took the photo except that it seems to be on the edge of the town, it might be the trackbed of the line to St Combs from Fraserburgh.

David

Doesn't look it, looks like it was always a road track - the bridge has since been replaced by a straight road.

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=17.0&lat=57.67903&lon=-1.99605&layers=168&right=ESRIWorld

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

If you lived in Nottingham as I did as a child then Skegness is where you went to for days out by the sea or often for holidays.

I always wondered if this is because it was the easiest seaside to get to by train.

David

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, DaveF said:

If you lived in Nottingham as I did as a child then Skegness is where you went to for days out by the sea or often for holidays.

I always wondered if this is because it was the easiest seaside to get to by train.

A tradition established by vigorous Great Northern marketing, no doubt. The Midland did not reach the sea.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, DaveF said:

David

For most of the Derbyshire and Nottinhamgshire miners plus a lot of factory workers, Skegness was the easiest coastal resort to get to by train.  Not that many had their own cars back in the 50/60's,

South Yorkshire people favoured Cleethorpes as their destination.  For us living in South Lincolnshire, Skegness was the nearest but we much preferred the more gentile Sutton-on-Sea, or occasionally Hunstanton on the Norfolk coast.  Skegness was always a bit of a dirty place, not helped in the early sixties with invations of Mods and Rockers looking for a Sunday afternoon chat.🙄

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

3 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

A tradition established by vigorous Great Northern marketing, no doubt. The Midland did not reach the sea.

The Midland got to the sea at Sheringham, Cromer and Great Yarmouth with a little help from the Great Northern via the M&GN.😁

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

And Morecambe, and Heysham.....

Bristol isn't a million miles away from the sea either, but maybe that's stretching the point a little!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Donington Road said:

The Midland got to the sea at Sheringham, Cromer and Great Yarmouth with a little help from the Great Northern via the M&GN.😁

21 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

It got fairly close to the sea at Swansea St Thomas…

8 minutes ago, rodent279 said:

And Morecambe, and Heysham.....

Bristol isn't a million miles away from the sea either, but maybe that's stretching the point a little!

I meant, rather specifically, the North Sea from Nottingham. Certainly the Norfolk coast via the M&GN but that was rather further and, I think, a bit more up-market?

The Midland was very good at getting to the sea by proxy, but more for goods than seaside holidays - Liverpool by the CLC, Southampton via the M&SWJR, Hull by the H&BR, etc. Bournemouth by the S&DJR is an counter-instance but again, a high-class destination, likewise the Ulster coast. Leave the hoi polloi to the Great Northern and Great Central!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a fantastic set of photo’s of of electric locomotives along the WCML. The last photo’ at Sandon Trent and Mersey canal, with a Class 86, on a down express train, in June, 1976, is a beautifully composed photo’ with the tree reflected in the water on the hot summer’s day.

The photo’s of Class 20’s on trains to Skegness taken at Bottesford on the Nottingham - Grantham - Skegness line, are a superb selection and it shows something which will never be seen on the railway again. C5855, of two unidentified class 20’s on an extra to Skegness, in August, 1982, is an excellent photo’, and it seems the driver is a bit warm with an arm just outside the cabside window opening.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

On 15/04/2024 at 10:05, DaveF said:

A trip to the Lake District this morning to look at Lakeside station on the Lakeside and Haverthwaite Railway in August 1975.

LakesidestationfromGunnersHoweAug75J4603.jpg.fdfd78e3b91d4eee907fc3babf0dd79e.jpg

Lakeside station from Gunners Howe Aug 75 J4603

David

Nice photos David, but you seem to have a typo, it's Gummers Howe!

Kind regards

Ian

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, 11B said:

Nice photos David, but you seem to have a typo, it's Gummers Howe!

Kind regards

Ian

Thanks, I've corrected it.

I've no idea how I got it wrong, in Dad's notes it is correct.  It is probably just clumsy fingers.

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I meant, rather specifically, the North Sea from Nottingham. Certainly the Norfolk coast via the M&GN but that was rather further and, I think, a bit more up-market?

The Midland was very good at getting to the sea by proxy, but more for goods than seaside holidays - Liverpool by the CLC, Southampton via the M&SWJR, Hull by the H&BR, etc. Bournemouth by the S&DJR is an counter-instance but again, a high-class destination, likewise the Ulster coast. Leave the hoi polloi to the Great Northern and Great Central!

Also, of course, Tilbury, Sowfind* & Shoeburyness 🙂

Pedantic? Me? Surely not!

* aka Southend

Edited by rodent279
  • Like 5

13 hours ago, DaveF said:

David

Probably.

Half of the West Riding seemed to visit Cleethorpes in the summer for the same reason.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, JeffP said:

Probably.

Half of the West Riding seemed to visit Cleethorpes in the summer for the same reason.

Scarby or Brid, shirley?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1