Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

8 minutes ago, eastwestdivide said:

JVol1196 What’s the first vehicle? Some sort of horse/cattle wagon?

Definitely a horsebox. Many railways had similar designs but the diagonal bracing on the upper doors is a distinctive feature here, also the coach-styled panelling at the ends.

I suspect it is a pre-grouping design as the LNER ones were rather plainer. But I can't immediately identify which company I'm afraid.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Mol_PMB said:

Definitely a horsebox. Many railways had similar designs but the diagonal bracing on the upper doors is a distinctive feature here, also the coach-styled panelling at the ends.

I suspect it is a pre-grouping design as the LNER ones were rather plainer. But I can't immediately identify which company I'm afraid.

The three-level panelling with round corners to the top of the upper panels perhaps suggests North British?

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a great set of photo’s of Grantham from over the years. C1465, of a Class 47, on a down freightliner train, in January, 1974, is a most atmospheric shot, with the gloomy conditions around the fairly bright lightbulb visible in the fourcharacter headcode box. White paint, from the platform edge can be seen to have dribbled down in a way which might be replicated on some models.

The photo’s of Cambridge, in black and white, from around 1947/8, are a superb selection. JVol1425, of B2, 61671, Royal Sovereign, and B2, 61617, Ford Castle, in 1947, is a gem, and taken from a high vantage point which makes things look a bit like a model railway.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

The three-level panelling with round corners to the top of the upper panels perhaps suggests North British?

True. It's very similar to this one; perhaps the diagonal bracing on the upper doors was a later design change?

https://rchsimagearchive.org.uk/index.php?album=Railways-Tramroads/LNER-Group/North-British-Railway/Rolling-Stock/Passenger-Train-Vehicles&image=011068E.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, Mol_PMB said:

perhaps the diagonal bracing on the upper doors was a later design change?

Or an addition to cure top door droop? There seems to have been some Scottish design convergence, if one compares these models of Caledonian and Highland horseboxes:

img_3812.jpg?w=1024&h=631

from @Portchullin Tatty's website: https://highlandmiscellany.com/tag/weathering/;

The "passenger-style" parts follow the characteristics of each company's coaching stock but there's considerable similarity in the horsey section - although a bit of googling shows the prominent outside framing of the top doors to be similar to Great Central horseboxes - my eyes are attuned to the quite different styling on Midland and LNWR horseboxes!

• Like 9

57 minutes ago, DaveF said:

The WCML around Elvanfoot, between Beattock Summit and Crawford in the days of Class 50s.

ElvanfootAug73J3342.jpg.b1b522191198aa77dcd617148aa7c729.jpg

Elvanfoot Aug 73 J3342

ElvanfootAug73J3343.jpg.54ef2771316c3f633b89e587958f3f17.jpg

Elvanfoot Aug 73 J3343

ElvanfootClass50s445and419downAug73J3344.jpg.5630a0772719fa31279da454a470ce49.jpg

Elvanfoot Class 50s 445 and 419 down  Aug 73 J3344

ElvanfootClass50s415and409upAug73J3345.jpg.09134e4306016f2dda7c2f81725391fd.jpg

Elvanfoot Class 50s 415 and 409 up Aug 73 J3345

ElvanfootRiverClydebridge2Class50sdownAug73J3346.jpg.3fecaba52ec446a6285d7ae2d2faab88.jpg

Elvanfoot River Clyde bridge 2 Class 50s down Aug 73 J3346

David

From the headcodes - 

J3344 1S53 0815 Birmingham to Glasgow Central/Edinburgh 

J3345 1M30 1140 Glasgow Central to Euston 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, hexagon789 said:

From the headcodes - 

J3344 1S53 0815 Birmingham to Glasgow Central/Edinburgh 

J3345 1M30 1140 Glasgow Central to Euston 

Many thanks,  I've added the details to the captions.  It is always good to know the details of the workings.

David

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a great selection of photo’s of the WCML around Elvanfoot, in the days of Class 50’s, from August, 1973. J3345, of class 50’s 415 and 409, on the up 1M30, 11.40, Glasgow Central to London Euston, is a beautifully composed photo’, and it can be seen that the roof vents of the Mkll BFK look to be Roevacs, so, if so, it is a Mkllb.

The three photo’s Ulgham Grange crossing, and the two at Ulgham Lane crossing are a superb set. C6101, at Ulgham Grange crossing, with 20218 and another one, on a down cement wagons train, in July, 1983, is an excellent photo’, and captures the atmosphere of both the train and the Summers weather perfectly.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, corneliuslundie said:

C6101. Superpower for just six wagons, perhaps 150 tons.

But very modellable,

Jonathan

I think you may need to count them again! I make it seven tankers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

You are right. And I have recently had new glasses. So max 175 tons.

Jonathan

Depending on type, each wagon could be up to 51 tons gross.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 01/04/2024 at 18:45, Mol_PMB said:

True. It's very similar to this one; perhaps the diagonal bracing on the upper doors was a later design change?

https://rchsimagearchive.org.uk/index.php?album=Railways-Tramroads/LNER-Group/North-British-Railway/Rolling-Stock/Passenger-Train-Vehicles&image=011068E.jpg

Cambridge Fowler 4MTT Cambridge to Bletchely c1948 JVol1196

Haven't we had this photo before. North British Horse Box https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/lnerlivestock/e184a2c87  

Paul

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, hmrspaul said:

Cambridge Fowler 4MTT Cambridge to Bletchely c1948 JVol1196

Haven't we had this photo before. North British Horse Box https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/lnerlivestock/e184a2c87  

Paul

It is possible becasue I am still restoring the photos which were lost, now and then a back up file I use can contain 2 copies and I do not always notice.

David

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 27/03/2024 at 16:42, DaveF said:

1976 and 1977 at Stenson Junction with photos taken from the bridge by the power station sidings.

StensonJunctionClass4747343downfreightAug76J5434.jpg.8e3fb0f1644a0804e792bb5bb94bb0d9.jpg

That is a really good reminder of how mixed freight trains could still be in the mid 1970s. Unloaded Lowmac and a couple of Lowmacs with lorries, scrap in mineral wagons and lots more. 

When the CEGB were disposing of the tank wagons they had as an emergency reserve a group of us spent the day at the three power stations in the area https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/cegbmidlands 

This view may show the bridge some of your photos were taken from https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/britaingeneralrail/e6d44ca7

Paul

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, hmrspaul said:

That is a really good reminder of how mixed freight trains could still be in the mid 1970s. Unloaded Lowmac and a couple of Lowmacs with lorries, scrap in mineral wagons and lots more. 

When the CEGB were disposing of the tank wagons they had as an emergency reserve a group of us spent the day at the three power stations in the area https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/cegbmidlands 

This view may show the bridge some of your photos were taken from https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/britaingeneralrail/e6d44ca7

Paul

Yes, I think that is the bridge.

David

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a great set of photo’s from Northern Germany, at Süderbraup, on the 12th August, 1992. The first photo’ of 212 006 is a splendid shot of the locomotive against the large building in the background.

That is a superb selection of photo’s from York. What an atmospheric shot J587 is of a B1, in August, 1966. I can just see that the next to last number is a 2. There are no electric lights, so it may be a lower numbered engine, so, on looking at the BR Database, it looks to be 61021, 22, 29, or 61123. No later ones since they had the electric lights. I hope that may be of some help.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1