Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a great set of photo’s from Scotland. The first one at Port Glasgow, of the Gouroch branch, in July, 1974, is a most interesting photo’, and I feel a bit puzzled by what appears to be a boy helping out with the roadworks. I hope I have got that right. 

The photo’s from around Scout Green and Shap Wells in 1973 and 1976, are of much interest. The last photo’ at Shap Wells, with a Class 87, on an up express train, in August, 1976, is a fantastic shot, and, with the exquisite Mkll’s from Accurascale in mind, the carriages look to be Mkllc’s if those are Roevac roof vents.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, David. That’s a great set of photo’s from Scotland. The first one at Port Glasgow, of the Gouroch branch, in July, 1974, is a most interesting photo’, and I feel a bit puzzled by what appears to be a boy helping out with the roadworks. I hope I have got that right. 

It was during the school holidays so perhaps he was just with his dad "helping".  It shows how different things were 50 years ago.

David

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a fantastic set of photo’s of the ex-British Steel site at Sewstern beyond the High Dyke branch during the preservation period. J3173, of Peckett, 1158, in April, 1973, with a ballast train being shunted, composed of BR wagons, being a beautiful photo’ of the tank engine at work.

The black and white photo’s from around Nottingham are all gems and JVol5137, at Nottingham London Road Low Level, with class A5, 69817, on a down goods train, in c1953, is a most atmospheric and well composed photo’ by your Dad.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DaveF said:

Some black and white photos taken around Nottingham for this evening.

AnnesleyprobablyJ5downgoodsc1951JVol6153.jpg.3ed2ba66cec722abecde5b74ffe815e2.jpg

Annesley probably  J5 down goods c1951 JVol6153

NearAwsworthOccupationarchonMRKimberleybranchclosed1916onrightAwsworthorGiltbrookorfortyarchesviaductonGNRPinxtonbranchc1950JVol3187.jpg.21f98ade37dc69556d4a960ab0bd7443.jpg

Near Awsworth Occupation arch on MR Kimberley branch closed 1916 on right Awsworth or Giltbrook or forty arches viaduct on GNR Pinxton branch c1950 JVol3187

NottinghamLondonRoadGoodsGNJ5268814c1952JVol3039.jpg.e1f84a57a9fb4db2ab45eafd63b4e1d5.jpg

Nottingham London Road Goods GN J52 68814 c1952JVol3039

NottinghamLondonRoadLowLevelA569817downgoodsc1953JVol5137.jpg.365c70c5d72c188ca839b75ca0262caa.jpg

Nottingham London Road Low Level A5 69817 down goods c19

David

Jvol 6153; what's the provenance of that 4 - plank wagon behind the loco?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, 62613 said:

Jvol 6153; what's the provenance of that 4 - plank wagon behind the loco?

I've had a look and have no idea.  Hopefully someone who knows about wagons will look at it and tell us.

David

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a great selection of photo’s from the 1970’s at Loughborough Central. J4167, of Hunslet Robert Nelson No 4, on an empty coaching stock movement, in March, 1975, is a superb photo’ by your Dad. 

The photo’s from 1976 and 1977 at Stenson Junction, taken from the bridge by the power station sidings, are a most excellent set. The first photo’ of 47, 47343, on a down freight train, in August, 1976, is a splendid composition by your Dad, and I can only make an educated guess as to why the cab door is open. It was that long, hot summer, and since the driver can be seen driving, the door must be open for some extra ventilation.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

Wonderful photos of the emerging preservation scene at Loughborough. I was a visitor at the time and as a young boy I thought it was amazing. I remember the double track with only one line in use before the second was taken up. I would have only been 5 or 6 at the time. Thank you for jogging those memories.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a fantastic set of photo’s, with two at Monkton Cokeworks, Gateshead and three at Middlesbrough. The first photo’ at Monkton Cokeworks, with 08888 and NCB 03099, on the 15th August, 1985, being a particularly interesting photo’, with lots of detail for the modeller.

The photo’s at Swayfield, on Stoke Bank, in 1970 and 1972, are a superb selection. C0994, of a Class 47, on the down 18.30 Kings Cross to Hull service, in July, 1972, is a most nostalgic shot and the special coating on the cab windows can be clearly seen.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

As Rob says, that Monkton Cokeworks shot (C7135) is a lovely shot. It was only after a few views that I realised that the class 03 appears to have been dumped off the track. There could be some under it but there is no evidence of any pointwork leading from the adjacent tracks.

J2087 is 9004 - interestingly it appears to missing a crest on that side, not something that I remember and it certainly had it in later years (perhaps damaged and removed for safe keeping).

C0994 looks, like the previous image, to be one of the Gateshead batch (1989-1999). I'd say that it was 1997, looking closely at it.

Edited by 35A
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, 35A said:

As Rob says, that Monkton Cokeworks shot (C7135) is a lovely shot. It was only after a few views that I realised that the class 03 appears to have been dumped off the track. There could be some under it but there is no evidence of any pointwork leading from the adjacent tracks.

J2087 is 9004 - interestingly it appears to missing a crest on that side, not something that I remember and it certainly had it in later years (perhaps damaged and removed for safe keeping).

C0994 looks, like the previous image, to be one of the Gateshead batch (1989-1999). I'd say that it was 1997, looking closely at it.

Thanks very much for the loco IDs.

As for the 03, it is on some track, in the photo there is a curved line visible from by the piece of red cloth going under the heap of coal and towards the loco.    Also if you look at the 08 there is a point under it, it must set for the 08, so there must be ttrack leading off to the right towards the 03.  Howevere I think the 03 was dumped as it was still there some months later.

This photo on X (twitter) by @bowes railway just about shows the track.  

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a great selection of Scottish photo’s. The first photo’ at Eastfield, of 37026, on the 2nd March, 1984, is a superb portrait shot of the 37.

The photo’s from around Pelaw Junction are a splendid set. The first photo’ of 47218, on an up oil train, on the 1st August, 1985, is a excellent shot of the 47, which is nicely weathered.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

My last memories of the loco spotting days were of Hull Dairycoates 7 Section in 1965, near the coaling plant and where those locos destined for Drapers scrapyard were temporarily stored.  By then steam was in full retreat, almost everywhere. For those of us who saw this demise, then the only lasting legacy of this age would probably be the National Railway Museum collection, then being assembled. Here we would be able to see and appreciate a few carefully chosen examples standing pristine but lifeless in a scrupulously clean environment.

Few if any of us could ever have imagined that the preservation movement would spring up all over the country and that hundreds of locomotives would survive to live and work once more. Carefully restored, lovingly cherished and appreciated by whole generations who never saw or experienced the steam railway. Even less could we imagine that new locos would be built to illustrate some of  those classes which were completely withdrawn or which were integral to the evolution of the steam locomotive.

This thread and Rob's 'Photos of East Yorkshire's Railways' thread provide a fantastic insight into not only the steam railway but also the history of the diesel railway, which apart from the change in motive power, was often little changed in its environment and operating characteristics from earlier days.

So many thanks for a wonderful thread.

Regards

Mike

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the nice Swiss photos. Have just watched a cab ride video of the St Gallen to Arth Goldau route - phenominal gradients after Pfaeffikon, 1 in 20 I think, the unit just romps up them.

C8097 - Kilchurn Castle in the background? Years ago Head Gardener and I visited the Cruachan pumped storage power station on Loch Awe. We had a while to wait before the next tour, so wandered off up a footpath opposite the site, climbing a little way up the mountain side we crossed the railway line close by a short platform, saw the rock fall protection wires and double armed signals, then continued uphill until our way was blocked by a very large and very dead sheep. 

• Like 1

C8097; The station I think is just Loch Awe, Loch Eil Outward Bound, on the Mallaig extension, is the only one named after an outdoor centre. Irrelevant fact; In April 1986 I and other BR supervisors were sent on a development course at Loch Eil Outward Bound, intending to alight at the station.... which is a request stop. What happened next can probably  be guessed. 

• Like 4
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1