Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Premium
On 27/03/2024 at 16:42, DaveF said:

1976 and 1977 at Stenson Junction with photos taken from the bridge by the power station sidings.

StensonJunctionClass4747343downfreightAug76J5434.jpg.8e3fb0f1644a0804e792bb5bb94bb0d9.jpg

Stenson Junction Class 47 47343 down freight Aug 76 J5434

StensonJunctionClas20s20070andanodowncoalAug76J5435.jpg.7faedde5ee8ac8a40601af680809cffa.jpg

Stenson Junction Class 20s 20070 and ano down coal Aug 76 J5435

StensonJunctionClass20sviewwestAug76J5437.jpg.9dc57996f9eb7d9ac3a1bc816012ebff.jpg

Stenson Junction Class 20s 20070 and ano on coal train view west Aug 76 J5437

StensonJunctionClass45SwanseatoLeedsJan77J5606.jpg.672982e3d8e719655d6964760a3df454.jpg

Stenson Junction Class 45 Swansea to Leeds Jan 77 J5606

StensonJunctionClass114CrewetoLincolnJan77J5607.jpg.4402443baa894bbf6b249c7e72b4f108.jpg

Stenson Junction Class 114 Crewe to Lincoln Jan 77 J5607

David

The views around Stenson Junction have changed considerably since 1976. The power  station and coal sidings have long since closed and disappeared. The only things still standing from Willington PS are the cooling towers, due supposedly to Peregrines nesting. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a great selection of photo’s of Switzerland at Pfäffikon, in 1988, and 1990. C15003, of Ae4/7, 11022, on a parcels train, on the 9th August, 1990, being a particularly superb shot of the locomotive.

The mixed bag of photo’s, all beginning with W, are a superb set. The last photo’ at Wellingborough, of 45106, on a down express, on the 9th August, 1977, is a well composed photo’ of the Peak as it leans to the left in the station on the canted track.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

Evening, David. J4506 can't be 25151, as that was the former D7501, built with cantrail grilles and a full central cab window. It would have to be from the batches 25026-082 (built with connecting doors and horns mounted either side of the headcode panel) or 25218-247 (built at Darlington, to the earlier design).

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Interesting to see D2117. I assume that this was at the time when BR was objecting to the preserved railways using BR livery. There was at least one steam loco also in L&H livery, I seem to remember, presumably a BR standard tank, though it was a very long time ago and all I can remember is being disappointed.

Jonathan

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

Interesting to see D2117. I assume that this was at the time when BR was objecting to the preserved railways using BR livery. There was at least one steam loco also in L&H livery, I seem to remember, presumably a BR standard tank, though it was a very long time ago and all I can remember is being disappointed.

Jonathan

I think by 1973 the opposition had largely been dropped by BR but I suspect that locos would only be repainted when needed.  I remember that in 1972 Bill McAlpine's preserved 03. D2381 was in BR livery when it was at Market Overton.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, DaveF said:

I think by 1973 the opposition had largely been dropped by BR but I suspect that locos would only be repainted when needed.  I remember that in 1972 Bill McAlpine's preserved 03. D2381 was in BR livery when it was at Market Overton.

David

By which time BR was very much corporate blue 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DaveF said:

David

Are we sure there was any directive? I certainly don’t recall it being reported or discussed in the railway press at the time and have only come across the suggestion more recently (basically on RMWeb). Only certain railways seemed to invent their own liveries (KWVR and L and HR being notable examples). SVR, for instance had its locos (eg 46443 and 48773) in BR livery - I don’t think they were unique, although as with all railway (and bus) preservation there was a tendency to paint stock in as built condition, which, in many cases for locos meant grouping or pre grouping. 

Edited by MidlandRed
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

I was certainly told at the time that the LHR livery was because of BR opposition. Perhaps it was local rather than national. Certainly, as stated, the SVR had locos and carriages in BR livery. But of course my informant may have been wrong.

Jonathan

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

I was certainly told at the time that the LHR livery was because of BR opposition. Perhaps it was local rather than national. Certainly, as stated, the SVR had locos and carriages in BR livery. But of course my informant may have been wrong.

Jonathan

Did KWVR and LHR run into BR stations at the time - SVR extended to Kidderminster much later? Maybe that was why but equally, the railways may have taken the view they’d use historic liveries they liked or made up their own. The Dart Valley at that time, IIRC had everything in GW livery (including 1638) and locos such as 6697, 4555, 7029, 6000 and 4079 ran in GW livery in service on the main line in the mid 60s.  I do recall feeling somewhat miffed when I visited KWVR on a loco society shed bash trip around Yorkshire in 1969/70 that even the railbuses were in made up liveries - as I’d never seen them in BR days it was disappointing at the time, although good to see them preserved - 46441 on LHR was another which stood out like a sore thumb, in a pseudo LMS lined livery. However it’s now great to see these photos as it sort of, defines that era of preservation. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, MidlandRed said:

Are we sure there was any directive? I certainly don’t recall it being reported or discussed in the railway press at the time and have only come across the suggestion   Only certain railways seemed to invent their own liveries (KWVR and L and HR being notable examples). SVR, for instance had its locos (eg 46443 and 48773) in BR livery - I don’t think they were unique, although as with all railway (and bus) preservation there was a tendency to paint stock in as built condition, which, in many cases for locos meant grouping or pre grouping. 

The KWVR website page about the 2-6-2T 41241 states that "When the engine arrived on the Worth Valley it was painted maroon and, along with USA Tank No. 30072, double-headed the “Re-opening Special” on 29th June 1968. Resplendent in its distinctive red livery, 41241 wrote itself into Worth Valley folklore on the Re-opening Special. Although coming to the end of steam on the national network, it was forbidden to operate ex-BR locomotives in BR livery. The choice of livery decided upon was the non-authentic, but appropriate crimson, reflecting its LMS lineage."

Link: https://kwvr.co.uk/41241-lms-ivatt-class-2mt-2-6-2t/

David

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, MidlandRed said:

Did KWVR and LHR run into BR stations at the time - SVR extended to Kidderminster much later? Maybe that was why but equally, the railways may have taken the view they’d use historic liveries they liked or made up their own. The Dart Valley at that time, IIRC had everything in GW livery (including 1638) and locos such as 6697, 4555, 7029, 6000 and 4079 ran in GW livery in service on the main line in the mid 60s.  I do recall feeling somewhat miffed when I visited KWVR on a loco society shed bash trip around Yorkshire in 1969/70 that even the railbuses were in made up liveries - as I’d never seen them in BR days it was disappointing at the time, although good to see them preserved - 46441 on LHR was another which stood out like a sore thumb, in a pseudo LMS lined livery. However it’s now great to see these photos as it sort of, defines that era of preservation. 

I'd need to hunt through my Fathers photo collection but fairly certain 1638 had DART VALLEY in GW style lettering on her tanks at some point

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, DaveF said:

The two trains were from Stockport to Morecambe via Skipton

the 6 bells web site says they only went to carnforth where there was a shed visit 

As I read you post I was thinking about the route with my ‘modern railway map’ head on and visualised them coming in to Skipton from the west and reversing having come along the little north western, of course back then the direct line from Accrington was still open and I realise having seen the route on 6 bells it came in that way, amazing too that the 2 tours ran within 30 mins of each other the 2nd one being added due to popularity, doubly amazing they mustered up so many different run of the mill locos too in the dieing months of steam 

I’ve only ever been to Skipton once by train, luckily in the cab of the NMT where I took over driving from hellifield to traverse the S+C, it’s great to see just how much railway there was there back in the steam days compared to the basic track layout that exists now

Edited by big jim
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Many thanks Jim for reminding me they went to Carnforth not Morecambe.  I did read the link I put to Six Bells but obviously was not awake enough this morning to correct the captions, now done.

One day I will get a whole post done with no self made errors - usually they are typos and I find them and correct them before pressing Submit but not always...

David

Edited by DaveF
to correct a typo
  • Friendly/supportive 7

2 minutes ago, DaveF said:

One day I will get a whole post done with no self made errors - usually they are typos and I find them and correct them before preesing Submit but not always...

You aren't alone. David. I do a lot of writing for various society magazines. I proof read them four or five times and send them when I'm confident all the errors have been eliminated. Then the magazine arrives in print, and there's always at least one!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

J1224 - I always like the contrast between a brand new Mk2 being hauled by an end-of-life steam loco. There are quite a few photos showing it, which is surprising - one would have thought the newest coaches would have been on the main-line expresses rather than excursions. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a fantastic set of photo’s of the Lakeside and Haverthwaite Railway, at Haverthwaite, with photos from 1973 and 1975. The last photo’ of Fairburn 4MTT, masquerading as CR 2085, in August, 1975, actually looks good in the Caledonian blue livery.

The photo’s at Skipton on the 17th March, 1968, are a superb selection, and form an excellent record of how things were on BR in those sad, final months of steam on BR. J1231, of Class 5s 45447 and 45110, on special No2, from Stockport to Carnforth, in March, 1968, is a truly splendid photograph of not only the train, but the bullhead track in the foreground on the softwood sleepers. A ‘proper railway’.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MidlandRed said:

Lakeside station (and track bed) was still owned by BR then, BR still owned the boats on Windermere

Ian

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, John Besley said:

I'd need to hunt through my Fathers photo collection but fairly certain 1638 had DART VALLEY in GW style lettering on her tanks at some point

That's right. My understanding was that it was because the loco was built after nationalisation.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1