Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Some more photos from visits to York for today in 1965, 1966 and 1979.

attachicon.gifYork Class 03 D2451 and Class 04 D2231 and Class 08 up Aug 65 J238.jpg

York Class 03 D2151 and Class 04 D2231 and Class 08 up Aug 65 J238

attachicon.gifYork Class 47 D1588 Kings X to Newcastle Dec 66 J705.jpg

York Class 47 D1988 11.00 Kings X to Newcastle Dec 66 J705

attachicon.gifYork Class 101 Sat 7 Apr 79 C4384.jpg

York Class 111 Sat 7 Apr 79 C4384

attachicon.gifYork Class 47 Liverpool to Newcastle and V2 4771 ecs for York circular The Northumbrian Limited Sat 7 Apr 79 C4391.jpg

York Class 47 Liverpool to Newcastle and V2 4771 ecs for York circular The Northumbrian Limited Sat 7 Apr 79 C4391

attachicon.gifYork Class 40 special York to Chester Sat 7th April 79 C4412.jpg

York Class 40 special York to Chester Sat 7th April 79 C4412

David

Hi David, really enjoy seeing your pics. Not sure if I have helped or not but had ago taking the guys out of the shot. Please delete if not wanted.

post-9384-0-91166600-1474195472_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Hi David, really enjoy seeing your pics. Not sure if I have helped or not but had ago taking the guys out of the shot. Please delete if not wanted.

To be honest, I feel the two "spotters" make the picture David.

I've tweeked it slightly.....

attachicon.gifpost-5613-0-66153800-1474037357_thumb1.jpg

I don't mind when individuals do small changes to the photos, I enjoyed looking at both of them.

I have to admit I very rarely remove anything from my railway photos - very few railway publishers will accept an image where something has been removed or altered.  An altered photo is also less useful to anyone who uses a photo as a historical reference.

The change in contrast in Peter's version has improved the image.

I actually worked on the photo a long time ago and selected it to put on here in a hurry (as happens when I am pushed for time) and hadn't noticed how "flat" it is.

I have also found that since moving to Windows 10 I was getting a slightly different image in terms of contast and saturation when working on the image in Photoshop than I saw on the screen when looking at photos with "Photos" in Windows 10.

I have now recalibrated my monitor and altered some settings in Photoshop which has helped.  A trap for the unwary though.

David

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Very interesting photos of Ashchurch and Parkend today. What interesting vehicle the Bedford QL is, I've not seen anything like it before.

The Cambrian Coast line photos are as interesting as ever. At Tywyn, the track layout has been rationalised over the years, and the units have gone from class 103's to class 158's.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Thanks again David for continuing to post your excellent photos.

I particularly like the Cambrian pick up freight in J3039. Even though all the wagons appear to be fitted there's a brake van at the rear - do you know if this was the standard practice at that time?

Edited by JohnH

Thanks again David for continuing to post your excellent photos.

I particularly like the Cambrian pick up freight in J3039. Even though all the wagons appear to be fitted there's a brake van at the rear - do you know if this was the standard practice at that time?

A brakevan would have been in the consist as a matter of course as unfitted wagons, 16t + 21t minerals/hoppers usually, may well be added to the train later in its journey, or indeed left at a previous yard. Trip or pick up workings, which is most probably what the photo is of, would have still had a brake van in the consist up until the mid 80's, and beyond in some areas, due to the mix or lack of continuous brakes that might be encountered with wagons left or picked up en-route. Only with the withdrawal of unfitted wagons towards the end of the 80's did the requirement of brake vans really start to diminish, and eventually disappear except for a few exceptional traffic requirements.

Paul J.

• Like 1

Hi, Dave. Very interesting photos of Ashchurch and Parkend today. What interesting vehicle the Bedford QL is, I've not seen anything like it before.

The Cambrian Coast line photos are as interesting as ever. At Tywyn, the track layout has been rationalised over the years, and the units have gone from class 103's to class 158's.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

The QL conversion was not that unusual; quite a few ex-military 4x4 vehicles were adapted to act as shunters on private sidings. One of the more unusual ones was a White Scout-Car (like a M3 half track, but with wheels fore and aft) at a grain silo in Western France; modifications were minimal, even the front visor with a 'letter-box' to look through was retained.

Dowty were involved in developing retarders for hump yards; I believe this lorry was used to propel test wagons towards the retarders. I recollect reading that it was replaced by a later Bedford.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Love the photo's of the Midland line to just after Skipton. In the second photo, J650 at Kildwick, you can see that the, for want of a better description,  'control boxes' are pink in colour. I have often wondered why they should be in pink, of all colours!

J917, at Cononley is absolutely brilliant, so full of atmosphere and nostalgia. Just how things were back near to the end of steam on BR.

Thank you for posting the last one of Gargrave in October, 1965. It forms a further historical record of the Settle and Carlisle railway in the mid '60's. Therefore the condition of the original slide is not of too much worry - it only would have been if it could not have been used at all.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

I believe this lorry was used to propel test wagons towards the retarders. I recollect reading that it was replaced by a later Bedford.

Scroll down to the bottom of this page  for a pic of the other Dowty Bedford.

http://www.tewkesburydirect.co.uk/times-gone-by/

The lorries propelled wagons onto the test rig as well as carrying out other duties.

Heres the rig when new.

post-508-0-26333900-1474380819_thumb.jpg

A regular on the forum and no mean buffer manufacturer himself may be along in a mo to give further details, as his dads Dowty office overlooked the rig.

P

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

J215 - I wonder what the construction on the left was - was it railway related?  I am quite familiar with the York-Harrogate line having worked on it in recent years as a Guard, however I don't recognise that structure!

Garforth station (J0897) however remains very recognisable apart from the class of DMU!  I have often wondered how long ago the steps to the left were added to the typical NER footbridge to make a down side entrance; evidently longer than I had thought.

• Like 1

J215 - I wonder what the construction on the left was - was it railway related?  I am quite familiar with the York-Harrogate line having worked on it in recent years as a Guard, however I don't recognise that structure!

Wilstrop crossing & Siding.

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/w/wilstrop_siding/

Edited by Porcy Mane

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A lovely set from Damdykes today, and I must add that the weather there is infinitely better than here where it has been cloudy and wet all day!

The Yorkshire photos are such gems. The first one is of such historical importance, and thank goodness for the first generation DMU's so that the photo could have been taken - it shows both NER lower quadrant and BR upper quadrant signals being used side by side, as well as the intriguing cover over the goods siding.

In the photo at Collingham, I am wondering what that tamper will have been doing there, for surely track lifting would be the only thing likely to have happened next in that closed line. Finally at Gartforth in the last photo, the train formation is another hybrid unit as follows, from the camera:

Class 101 DMCL + Class 104 TBSL + Class104 TSL + Class 101 DMCL.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

So it is!  Never seen a picture of Wilstrop when it was a passenger station before; now just a staffed level crossing.  The lever frame 'cabinet' in the picture on the linked page looks to be of the same as the one still in use at Hammertoe station.