Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Hi, Dave. More excellent photos from Pilmoor today. In the first one hauled by 37 D6756, I think there is a white tank wagon back in the train from the look of it. And I agree about J1160. It is a great portrait of the 40, complete with the hazy exhaust.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

If it is a tank wagon it looks a bit out of gauge, bearing in mind the distance and parallax effects, etc. If it isn't, what is it?

• RMweb Gold

If it is a tank wagon it looks a bit out of gauge, bearing in mind the distance and parallax effects, etc. If it isn't, what is it?

I think it is a wagon, or a load.  On the original scan it appears to have a slightly domed end, with what looks like a circle of bolts(?) about one third of the distance out from the centre of the white circle.  It's not clear enough to enlarge and post.

It doesn't appear on any other of Dad's photos taken that day.

David

1A32 was the 13:00 KX-Newcastle

4E86 was the 11:50 Aberdeen-KX Goods

Two of the containers on 4E86 have irregular black shapes painted on the sides- I suspect these are the 'bull's head' silhouettes used to advertise 'Scotch Beef For Sainsbury's' . Older members will remember that amongst the early Triang-Hornby containers was a yellow ochre liveried one, which carried paper labels for this.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A great set of photos of some of the extra trains run to Birmingham International station in October, 1978. Quite a good variety of stock used, including the 310's and 304's.

Interesting to note that 86026 has a paper label in the centre windscreen to give the train description 1T24. Of course, that would have been the four character headcode box in earlier days.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Every day a delicious feast of pictures...     Post 7852, photo C4171.  I didn't know that the AM4s (304s) had unit number shown in the former head-codes.   The first '0' in 040 is of course actually an 'O' for a through service to the Southern Region :sungum:     Post 7854, photo C3419.   Is that a demonntable tank in siding in the background?  

Bill

• RMweb Gold

Every day a delicious feast of pictures...     Post 7852, photo C4171.  I didn't know that the AM4s (304s) had unit number shown in the former head-codes.   The first '0' in 040 is of course actually an 'O' for a through service to the Southern Region :sungum:     Post 7854, photo C3419.   Is that a demonntable tank in siding in the background?  

Bill

It does look like one.

Perhaps someone who knows about freight stock will be able to tell us exactly what it is.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photos of Tyseley from 1970. Interesting that to overcome the problem of running round the Mk1 stock that Clun Castle and Kolaphur were at each end of the train.

Great to see the ECML at Abbots Ripton and Connington. In C4419, the 55 Deltic makes a powerful sight at the head of the express train. I think it looks as if it is 55011, The Royal Northumberland Fusiliers. It all adds up, the length of the plate and it's depth. Also the number of words of it.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

1A08 was the 08:30 Leeds-KX. The coaching set used indicates it is the Monday train.

J4537 the down train looks like the 14:20 KX-Leeds from the formation or 17:10 KX-Leeds if it was a Sunday. Is the up train a class 47 rather than a 55?

C3387 was probably the 11:00 KX-Edinburgh from the formation (although it is short of one TSO).

C4419 looks like the Hull Executive set - 16:42 KX-Hull although if a Sunday could be the 14:04 KX-York (then ecs to Hull)

• RMweb Gold

1A08 was the 08:30 Leeds-KX. The coaching set used indicates it is the Monday train.

J4537 the down train looks like the 14:20 KX-Leeds from the formation or 17:10 KX-Leeds if it was a Sunday. Is the up train a class 47 rather than a 55?

C3387 was probably the 11:00 KX-Edinburgh from the formation (although it is short of one TSO).

C4419 looks like the Hull Executive set - 16:42 KX-Hull although if a Sunday could be the 14:04 KX-York (then ecs to Hull)

Mark,  

Thanks again for the information.

1A08 would have been taken on a Monday when Dad was on his way to a factory he worked with in Ipswich.

J4537 was probably a Sunday, Dad would have again be going to Ipswich, once or twice he travelled on a Sunday.

C4419 would have been a weekday.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A very interesting set of photos of eastern Scotland. They show various railways at different times, and there is some good details for railway modelling. Kinghorn in J16293 was looking particularly tidy and well looked after.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A lovely set of photos of the Midland line from Nottingham today. The class 20, D8147, is working the train with its cab leading which was the best way with the 20's.

In J2434, there is a good side view of number 72. Also you can see how begrimed and sooty the buildings and bridges still were in 1970.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

We'll start at Nottingham Midland today and head towards Loughborough.

attachicon.gifNormanton on Soar Class 45 127 down empties Sept 70 J2376.jpg

Normanton on Soar Class 45 127?? down empties Sept 70 J2376

David

Not 127 David, wrong headcode boxes. Don't think it is D27 as it was DB by the time of your photo. 107 could be a good possibility though.

Paul J.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave

More brilliant shots!

Think you probably have guessed already - that Peak in J2376 isn't 127 which had split centre headcodes, https://www.flickr.com/photos/21602076@N05/8173156111/in/photolist-dseyyF-oTDdfV-pbx6Xs-5Vsx7R-pWMd3n-p6JqrS-qUqCP1-9NGKrb-jj6j8s-aFaZeV-qCCXMQ-qCm2wP-aVt7vM-psNfCm-pvhaWK-nYybzH-5Axiq4-aVtjX4-nEhre9-pDuekZ-aVt5Nk-9NJybd-6PLhmT-nXp4Ms-qBrmRp-nXp41s-nEhr5S-nYmJcU-9NFVNX-qTMJeM-pvVRHf-nYtmKV-nFnHLu-aVx3nF-bxhxJV-aVx2PR-9NEwpU-nVtbP1-aEjP9H-aVsZAx-asXSv-nFYY11-nEhbqa-jeursZ-qBjY2z-ehp7uM-4NEsAu-qCkV3g-4iQKFh-oicfnr not split box as that loco has.

Sorry cant be any more specific!

And a synchronous post with Paul!

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

Not 127 David, wrong headcode boxes. Don't think it is D27 as it was DB by the time of your photo. 107 could be a good possibility though.

Paul J.

Yes,

I thought it wasn't 127, hence the "??" in the original post, which I've now altered.  I just can't quite read the number off the scan (and I suspect Dad tried to work out the number from the slide which is hard to see at that angle).

David

As a long time inmate of the MML,I always felt rather hard done by.  The Western had its high revving, sexy hydraulics, the Eastern had the noisy old Deltics, and even the West Coast had sparklers which I rather liked.... us on the MML, we had the lumbering dull old Peaks and the most boring of all the London terminii....

I'd gladly trundle down to St P behind one any day of the week in preference to the hideous Meridian things now :)