Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

J2440 - noticed the destination board on the 2nd coach, is it possible to read what it says? Looks like it might be a name rather than a 'somewhere-somewhere'

I've enlarged the original and can't read anything on it.

It looks as though the board may be reversed as all I can see see are some faint marks.

David

Today we look at trains around Great Ponton in the late 60s and very early 70s.

Great Ponton is on the ECML to the south of Grantham.

attachicon.gifGreat Ponton Class 47 up Nov 70 J2441.jpg

Great Ponton Class 47 up Nov 70 J2441

David

Nice ECML photos once again. The 47 in J2441 is one of the "Generator" first 20. Number is either 1513 or 1519, can't make my mind up which. Not helped by not finding many photos of 1513 to compare against.

Paul J.

A bit later than usual as I decided to go the Quayside to look at the preparations for the Tall Ships event from Friday to Monday.  No ships yet.  I don't think I'll be driving anywhere this weekend looking at the local restrictions.

Back to the iron ore lines around Harlaxton and Woolsthorpe by Belvoir today.

One working loco on a special, some dead ones and some views of the lines.

attachicon.gifk Harlaxton Quarries Stewart and Lloyds Austerity Jan 69 J1537.jpg

Harlaxton Quarries Stewart and Lloyds Austerity Jan 69 J1537  The Barclay behind is probably either Denton or Rutland.  The Barclay far right should be Ajax.

attachicon.gifHarlaxton Woolsthorpe Road crossing Sept 70 C341.jpg

Harlaxton Woolsthorpe Road crossing Sept 70 C341  Hunslet 2413 built 1941 Gunby on a special

attachicon.gifk Harlaxton Quarries Gunby with special Sept 70 J2328.jpg

Harlaxton Quarries Gunby with special Sept 70 J2328 Hunslet 2413 built 1941 Gunby 

Both Gunby and the loco to the left in J1573 are members of the Hunslet 18" 50550 class and as such precursors to the 18" Austerity. It's a common mistake as they are visually very similar but obvious differences are the deeper buffer beams, sloped bunkers and side rods with cottered split brasses rather than plain round brasses.

• RMweb Gold

Both Gunby and the loco to the left in J1573 are members of the Hunslet 18" 50550 class and as such precursors to the 18" Austerity. It's a common mistake as they are visually very similar but obvious differences are the deeper buffer beams, sloped bunkers and side rods with cottered split brasses rather than plain round brasses.

Thanks very much for reminding me that they are 50500 class members.   A very long time ago I knew things like that as I sometimes needed the information but had forgotten.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've found these photos taken by Dad of the bridge rebuilding work.

The first photo is before the work started.

attachicon.gifRectory Junction Radcliffe on Trent viaduct Feb 77 J5627.jpg

Rectory Junction Radcliffe on Trent viaduct Feb 77 J5627

attachicon.gifRectory Junction Radcliffe on Trent viaduct 25230 pw crane Dec 79 J6691.jpg

Rectory Junction Radcliffe on Trent viaduct 25230 pw crane Dec 79 J6691

attachicon.gifRectory Junction Radcliffe on Trent viaduct 25230 pw crane Dec 79 J6692.jpg

Rectory Junction Radcliffe on Trent viaduct 25230 pw crane Dec 79 J6692

attachicon.gifRectory Junction Radcliffe on Trent viaduct 25230 pw crane Dec 79 J6693.jpg

Rectory Junction Radcliffe on Trent viaduct 25230 pw crane Dec 79 J6693

attachicon.gifRectory Junction Radcliffe on Trent viaduct 25230 pw crane Dec 79 J6694.jpg

Rectory Junction Radcliffe on Trent viaduct 25230 pw crane Dec 79 J6694

attachicon.gifRectory Junction Radcliffe on Trent viaduct 25230 pw crane Dec 79 J6695.jpg

Rectory Junction Radcliffe on Trent viaduct 25230 pw crane Dec 79 J6695

attachicon.gifRectory Junction Radcliffe on Trent viaduct scaffolding removal in progress March 80 J6805.jpg

Rectory Junction Radcliffe on Trent viaduct scaffolding removal in progress March 80 J6805

attachicon.gifRectory Junction Radcliffe on Trent viaduct Class 47 Parkeston Quay to Manchester March 80 J6807.jpg

Rectory Junction Radcliffe on Trent viaduct Class 47 Parkeston Quay to Manchester March 80 J6807

attachicon.gifRectory Junction Radcliffe on Trent viaduct Class 47 Parkeston Quay to Manchester March 80 J6808.jpg

Rectory Junction Radcliffe on Trent viaduct Class 47 Parkeston Quay to Manchester March 80 J6808

attachicon.gifRectory Junction Radcliffe on Trent viaduct Class 114 Nottingham to Skegness March 80 J6809.jpg

Rectory Junction Radcliffe on Trent viaduct Class 114 Nottingham to Skegness March 80 J6809

David

The bridge work photos are very interesting. The Class 25 in those photos is 25320 not 25230 as marked.

• RMweb Gold

The bridge work photos are very interesting. The Class 25 in those photos is 25320 not 25230 as marked.

Thanks,  captions now corrected.  Typed it wrong once and then copied and pasted the error.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave

More smashing photos ...

Apologies but a spanner in the loco works again...

J705 D1588 was a WR loco so was surprised - but not impossible - to see her at York on a KX - Newcastle - displaying wrong headcode too? Edit - corrected by Mark , see below Phil

However D1588 was built with 3piece fixed rad grilles and still had them when she went to GFYE - see https://www.flickr.com/photos/67444577@N02/7263947944/in/photolist-c4TCDN-a93qjB-5t8Kk9-54e2Wv-55udoa-hUg7o5-Mtjmd-2995Tq-b9tqSx-ENBcxW-behiu2-7TC83p-6MjAHk-cHEd5o-cHEd85-anTxnX-NBEz7-NBEzm-anW9Nf-dXQJpq-93SSPC-e1rRny-299hu3-cHE4K1-dYZXeW-8Qbcp6-a2hiyq-aERrrD-7TC7xn-e1sbYA-r6KNHw-Mtjmh-r6KNPy-7TC95K-dXR48A-r6KNQA-2995Rq-7TC9mF-aES6Yg-299hxE-dZ17nh-auj27D-aujodX-6PPRdH-ag4FTh-e1rRo9-behjFk-GwmjrE-7zVZ8e-NBEyY

The Serck grilles as fitted to the loco in the photo are correct for D1988 which was an ECML machine - and on scrutinising the enlarged photo would suggest that is the loco in your photo. Wonder if you agree?

Kind regards

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

Back to the great number debate. I don't think it is 36 because that one had the top of its electrification flashes level with the top. of the headcode. The loco in this photo has them slightly lower down.

I have only just looked at this part of the thread and now have an excuse to go through my Class 45 photo collection again.

Geoff Endacott

Edited by Geoff Endacott
  • Like 1

J705 D1588 was a WR loco so was surprised - but not impossible - to see her at York on a KX - Newcastle - displaying wrong headcode too!

1A22 was the 11:00 KX-Newcastle. Looks to be the Saturday train from the formation. Agree the loco is D1988

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave

More smashing photos ...

Apologies but a spanner in the loco works again...

J705 D1588 was a WR loco so was surprised - but not impossible - to see her at York on a KX - Newcastle - displaying wrong headcode too!

However D1588 was built with 3piece fixed rad grilles and still had them when she went to GFYE - see https://www.flickr.com/photos/67444577@N02/7263947944/in/photolist-c4TCDN-a93qjB-5t8Kk9-54e2Wv-55udoa-hUg7o5-Mtjmd-2995Tq-b9tqSx-ENBcxW-behiu2-7TC83p-6MjAHk-cHEd5o-cHEd85-anTxnX-NBEz7-NBEzm-anW9Nf-dXQJpq-93SSPC-e1rRny-299hu3-cHE4K1-dYZXeW-8Qbcp6-a2hiyq-aERrrD-7TC7xn-e1sbYA-r6KNHw-Mtjmh-r6KNPy-7TC95K-dXR48A-r6KNQA-2995Rq-7TC9mF-aES6Yg-299hxE-dZ17nh-auj27D-aujodX-6PPRdH-ag4FTh-e1rRo9-behjFk-GwmjrE-7zVZ8e-NBEyY

The Serck grilles as fitted to the loco in the photo are correct for D1988 which was an ECML machine - and on scrutinising the enlarged photo would suggest that is the loco in your photo. Wonder if you agree?

Kind regards

Phil

Phil,

You could well be right.

As you will already know any image with a file number beginning with a "J" is one of Dad's photos, usually I take the loco details from his catalogues.    His identifications may or may not be correct, depending on whether he made notes at the time or tried to read the number off the slide later on.

Knowing how often I can write down the wrong number it is not surprising he got them wrong too.

I am always a bit wary of changing his identifications as the scans are not always that clear, the numbers weren't always clear on the original slides either - Agfa 50ASA slide film was nothing like as "sharp" as Kodachrome 25 which was used by some photographers, but which had the problem that a fast shutter speed could only be used in the best of light.

So I am always very pleased when someone has the time and knowledge to think about the various possible numbers and come up with a good answer.

David

• RMweb Premium

ECML KX trains were 1Axx in both directions at that time with down trains being even numbers and up trains odd numbers:

http://www.napier-chronicles.co.uk/wtt66-67.htm

Headcodes changed in 1969 when all up KX trains became 1Axx and down trains used a 'destination' letter. Trains from Scotland became 1Exx and to Scotland 1Sxx (i.e. normal inter-regional letters)

http://www.napier-chronicles.co.uk/wtt69-70.htm

York Class 40 special York to Chester Sat 7th April 79 C4412

Looks like 40015, which was reported leaving York southbound at around 5:30pm on 7th April 1979. Nameplate bolts just visible and still with frost screens. Another partial shot at York on the same day here.

I checked The Railtour Files on Six Bells Junction and couldn't find any reference to a York to Chester excursion that day. However, there was a BR Merrymaker on 7th April '79, trundling around South Yorkshire and the Woodhead route, which reached York later in the day en route back to ChesterFIELD, but that is recorded as being headed by 40 013.

• RMweb Gold

Yes I thought it would be that tour at first (with class 13 haulage!), but 40 013 had lost its frost screen by April 1979 and had the OHLW signs lower down. Class 40 motherlist has 40 015 on a southbound departure, and the other photo confirms she was at York that day.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photos posted today, and that first one is remarkable, such a collection of stock behind the 25. Healey Mills was full of interest and I can't help noticing all the MGR wagons!

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Post 7767, photo J1274: fantastic shot.  What are the wagons to the left of the trestle wagon (behind the LMS-design guards van)?    Note the unusual grey shade of the farthest right-hand mineral wagon in the same rake. 

Thanks,

Bill

TIMBER P ?

Regards,

John Isherwood.