Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Some remarkable photos of County Durham today. The line to Eastgate is, of course, still in use as a preserved line. Waskerley makes a fine sight, and it will have been badly affected by the weather each winter.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

A return to Swayfield today for some more ECML photos from the 1970s.

The train IDs were taken from the then current timetable, it assumes all trains were in the correct paths (and that I had worked out the times for Swayfield correctly).

attachicon.gifSwayfield Class 47 up ex pass April 72 C869.jpg

Swayfield Class 47 up ex pass April 72 C869

attachicon.gifSwayfield Class 31 up ex pass Skegness to Kings X Aug 74 C1749.jpg

Swayfield Class 31 up ex pass Skegness to Kings X Aug 74 C1749

David

David, I believe the 47 is 1569, which was one of the vac braked ones in the 2 x bodyside arrows livery, and remained vac braked until 1973 when it received DB & ETH. The 31 is I think 31109 as it is DB fitted and the last numeral looks very 9ish. The only other disc loco finishing in a 9 was 31129, but this was Vac only at the time of your photo. Nice photos as always. I have a fondness for the ECML ones. Thank you for sharing.

Paul J.

1A62 is not in the 1971/2 ECML Carriage Working Notice. Possibly an extra?

1S42 was the 16:00 KX-Edinburgh (The Talisman). The extra TSO at the front would indicate it was the Saturday train.

1A30 was the 15:00 Newcastle-KX

• RMweb Gold

1A62 is not in the 1971/2 ECML Carriage Working Notice. Possibly an extra?

1S42 was the 16:00 KX-Edinburgh (The Talisman). The extra TSO at the front would indicate it was the Saturday train.

1A30 was the 15:00 Newcastle-KX

The photo of 1S42, the Talisman was taken on a Saturday as I was still living in Manchester then and was visiting my parents for the weekend and to return some books I had borrowed from Mum's employer which I had used when writing a dissertation.  At that time I generally left Manchester after lunch on Friday to travel to Grantham and travelled back from Grantham during Sunday afternoon.   There was an interesting choice of routes available by train.

It's strange, the things one remembers after such a long time.

David

• RMweb Gold

Love the picture of the cartic in the creek sidings at Felixstowe, I didn't realise Felixstowe had handled car traffic as well as Harwich.

Were the cars export or import?

Love the picture of the cartic in the creek sidings at Felixstowe, I didn't realise Felixstowe had handled car traffic as well as Harwich.

Were the cars export or import?

I have always thought creak sidings was more descriptive looking at the state of them...

• RMweb Gold

David, I believe the 47 is 1569, which was one of the vac braked ones in the 2 x bodyside arrows livery, and remained vac braked until 1973 when it received DB & ETH.

Paul J.

Yes I tend to agree. There were only 15 locos in this livery with Spanner boilers and three-part radiators. The number clearly ends in a '9' or a '0', so it can only be 1569, or 1589 with 1550 as an outside chance. To my eyes the former seems favorite, though a photo of 1589 would be useful to confirm.