Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

A visit to the Midland today with photos between Nottingham and Loughborough.

attachicon.gife Approaching Beeston from the east from a dmu Aug 69 C028.jpg

Approaching Beeston from the east from a dmu Aug 69 C028

attachicon.gifl Trent Class 44 up goods July 76 C2866.jpg

Trent Class 44 up goods July 76 C2866

attachicon.gifKegworth Class 47 D1513 down iron ore May 69 J1660.jpg

Kegworth Class 47 D1513 down iron ore May 69 J1660

attachicon.gifHathern Class 45 up Aug 78 C4108.jpg

Hathern Class 45 up Aug 78 C4108.

attachicon.gifLoughborough Midland Class 45 D11 up Thames Clyde May 69 J1699.jpg

Loughborough Midland Class 45 D11? up Thames Clyde May 69 J1699

David

Another nice set of photos David. Thank you once again for sharing. The 45 in photo C4108 is a 45/1 as you can make out the ETH jumpers on the buffer beam. Should narrow the candidates down in any "what's the number" debate.

Paul J.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Exact photos of the Midland line today. In the first photo, it was taken from a class 120 Cross Country unit. The windscreen is the big clue here, and it is just possible to make out that the unit approaching on the other line is a class 104 unit. Again the cab windows are a good clue.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

The restriction for the roof horn mounted 37's was Clapton Tunnels on the section of line between Hackney Downs and Copper Mill Jcn. Apart from that route the were no other restrictions that I knew of for other routes. They could still get to Cambridge via the Southbury loop or via Stratford and Temple Mills. There were no restrictions on the route to Ipswich and Norwich.

Paul J.

Somewhat embarassingly I realise I have written about this previously on this thread, but seem to have forgotten since!

It was rare though to see the centre headcode 37s at Liverpool St in the classic diesel era, SF allocated or otherwise.

Interesting to see D1513 (in J1660) on the Midland. The ECML "Generators" did not tend to stray very far until the tail-end of their careers, when they became more wayward.

This would have been taken at the time when the ECML was concentrating on keeping air-braked members of the class at the south end and those that were not yet fitted were exchanged with Immingham or, in this case, Tinsley examples until such time as they went through works. D1513 was sent north in 1967 and stayed away from the main line at Tinsley until it was dual-braked and blue-liveried at the end of 1969, at which point it was transferred to York and back on to ECML duties.

The Deltics suffered similar treatment, with four of the Finsbury Park racehorses banished to Haymarket, in exchange for four air-braked Scottish examples, in order to keep air-braked locos at FP initially.

I remember walking onto Swansea High Street station in 1986 and my surprise at finding 47 418 (D1517) at the head of a parcels train, a couple of months after withdrawal of the first examples of the original batch of Brush 4s had commenced.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A great set of photos of the L.T.&S.R. today. As always, it is good seeing the class 302's hard at their everyday work. The photos form a valauble record of how the railway was back in the '70's.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

I have been looking at loads of photos of ER AC EMUs, On the guards doors they have something attached to them as in C1783. Where these mirrors so the guard could sight signals etc? Because when built that was a guards duty, hence duckets or periscopes being fitted to hauled stock. With the pantograph on top a periscope would have been no good and BR stock was built to the maximum loading gauge leaving no room for duckets.

• RMweb Gold

I have never noticed the concrete arches before. Do you know of any pictures of the work being carried out?

I'll have a look.  I know Dad walked down there a few times while the work was being done.  I think I only saw it on a visit to my parents after it was finished.

David

Bottesford and Radcliffe on Trent on the GNR line from Grantham to Nottingham for today.

Quality wise some are better than others.

attachicon.gifdc Bottesford South view to GN and LNWR joint line to Melton Mowbray July 83 C6126.jpg

Bottesford South.     view to GN and LNWR joint line to Melton Mowbray July 83 C6126

attachicon.gifj Radcliffe on Trent viaduct from north side May 75 C2053.jpg

Radcliffe on Trent viaduct (part of) from north side May 75 C2053  For those who know the area it was taken from the Cliff Walk.

attachicon.gifRadcliffe on Trent Class 114 Grantham to Nottingham Sept 76 C3014.jpg

Radcliffe on Trent Class 114 Grantham to Nottingham Sept 76 C3014

attachicon.gifRadcliffe on Trent Class 47 Parkeston Quay to Manchester April 79 C4441.jpg

Radcliffe on Trent Class 47 Parkeston Quay to Manchester April 79 C4441

attachicon.gifRadcliffe on Trent River Trent bridge newly rebuilt April 80 C4973.jpg

Radcliffe on Trent River Trent bridge newly rebuilt April 80 C4973

David

Some more nice photos David. The 47 on the Parkeston Quay to Manchester in photo C4441 looks to be one of Stratfords Union Jack pair, 47164.

Paul J.

• RMweb Gold

Wow the boat train with a met cam Pullman.. Would it be fair to say the inner cast iron arches were encapsulated in concrete rather than complete replacment?

I believe that the arches were indeed encased in concrete.  I think there was something about it in the local newspapers at the time.

Edit:  I've just looked at the online archive of Railway Magazine and can't find anything there.

David

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like both sets of photo's. That viaduct at Radcliffe on Trent certainly has had an interesting history. After that work had been carried out on it,I would hope that it would then be as good as new.

The Metro Cammell Pullman in the boat train is one which has been downgraded to a FO. Hence its appearance in that train, and they would have been used as needed when first class accommodation was required.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

The size of the works doesn't look big enough for full arch replacement. I've never seen anything regarding temporary track layout changes etc for Rectory Junction with regard to single line working. The works appear to be not too intrusive. Fantasstic pictures.

• RMweb Premium

From its position next to the RB, I presume the Met-Camm is being used as a dining car?

Re : the viaduct, I have the 1979 RO, there may just be something about it in there (given the delay in publishing the info)

Edited by keefer

A quick search pulled up this text a few times..

''The bridge’s internal cast iron ribs were encased in concrete by British Rail in 1981 to increase its strength, but the original cast iron ribs on the exterior were left exposed, leaving the appearance of the bridge little changed to this day''.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photos from Great Ponton. They are very nostalgic, and I particularly like the one of Deltic 9009. And the class 31 5874 in the last photo would make a great livery variation on a model - green with full yellow ends - I don't recall seeing a model in that livery before.

With warmest regards,

Rob.