Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Excellent pictures David. Trying to work out what's going on with the down hump cabin in the first picture there are steps to the roof and a rail round it.

I can't remember seeing it like that it may have been something to do with the developers who built a huge mound there

• RMweb Gold

Excellent pictures David. Trying to work out what's going on with the down hump cabin in the first picture there are steps to the roof and a rail round it.

I can't remember seeing it like that it may have been something to do with the developers who built a huge mound there

Russ,

I think that the work in the background relates to the Tees Barrier and associated roads.  Was the building not removed about then?

Unfortunately I wasn't there in earlier years to see what it was like.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A good set of photos of the Talyllyn Railway, so hard to believe that they were taken all those years ago - the year man first set foot on the moon!

The photos of Teesside are great and in C18453, the 08 in red really sticks out and would have to be weathered if it was on a model railway.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Dave,

Would it be impoilte to point out you've got the wrong date again? (A man ahead of his time). Have you still got last year's calendar on the wall perhaps?

I think my calendar is a day fast.  

It's actually because I hadn't put on my computer specs so couldn't really see what I was typing.

It's right now (I hope).

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. An excellent set of photos of Clapham Junction today. Such a remarkable place, and it has been so perfectly captured in those photos. You've taken a good one of a class 33 hauled train in the first photo at Waterloo.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Once again I've been going through some folders on my PC and came across a few "different" images.

I think I took the Midland Railway signs at the NRM but cannot be sure - they were digital ones and do not seem to be catalogued as I took them to produce some signs for my model railway.

The Malmesbury photos were on here years ago in a thread of unknown locations, I thought it was time they were in a photo thread where people might actually see them.  I've no idea who took them or when, I was given the negatives by a fellow student  (can't remember his name) around 1969.

attachicon.gifMidland Railway sign bridge.jpg

Midland Railway sign -  bridge

attachicon.gifMidland Railway sign.jpg

Midland Railway sign

attachicon.gifMalmesbury001a.jpg

Malmesbury001

attachicon.gifMalmesbury 002a.jpg

Malmesbury 002

David

Your second Midland Railway sign quotes a fine not exceeding 10 pounds. That is massive compared to the usual 40 shillings, and from the early date of the Act must go back to 1844 or so. Did the Midland have some particularly good lawyers to get this through Parliament? or did the latter subsequently decide that something like two month's wages was a tad excessive for mere trespass, and reduce the figure for later enactments?

C9566 shows the Southern's 'we'll reuse anything' philosophy still alive and well in corporate times - the spare TSOs from the reduction of the 508s to three-cars on their export to Merseyside incorporated into the differently-styled Class 455 units.

C5753 shows the first impression of British railways for any foreign travellers arriving at London's second airport - a 4-Vep with extra luggage racks (where the opaque windows are) and 3+2 seating in 2nd class... but at least it still has the orange curtains!

Edited by talisman56

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A great set of photos of the L.T.&S.R. today. C4297 is a good shot showing, once more, just how cold and snowy that winter was over the whole of the U.K. You can see the ice and snow clinging to the rear cab of 302260. I hope you did not catch cold taking photos in those extreme conditions.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Yes the snow shots always seem to have a wonderful and unique atmosphere. I feel cold just looking at C4297.

I really like the grainy-ness due to the low light levels, but that is just my personal weirdness.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A great set of photos of the L.T.&S.R. today. C4297 is a good shot showing, once more, just how cold and snowy that winter was over the whole of the U.K. You can see the ice and snow clinging to the rear cab of 302260. I hope you did not catch cold taking photos in those extreme conditions.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

I was young then and didn't feel the cold.

More seriously the location was only just over 10 minutes walk from my nice warm flat.

David

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Midland Railway photo's. In particular the photo of B1 61196 at Toton. It makes quite a sight near the end of its career. I also like the telephoto shot of the two 20's in C4985.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. More excellent photos from Pilmoor today. In the first one hauled by 37 D6756, I think there is a white tank wagon back in the train from the look of it. And I agree about J1160. It is a great portrait of the 40, complete with the hazy exhaust.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave

Unusual stock movement in J9265, any ideas what it was about. Maybe an open day somewhere?

There used to be a daily two way job from Doncaster to Heaton service every day in the 80s conveying stuff to and from works Edited by russ p