Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Excellent photos from Harrogate. In J276, the class 108 is one of the LMR power twins. I feel a little mystified what it doing on that service. I wonder if it worked into Leeds from Manchester and was then requisitioned on the NER service?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Excellent as ever Dave, always appreciate the Harrogate shots. Pity the narrow gauge gas works line was gone when you lived here, i bet youd have got some great shots round Bilton junction and the sidings.

Keep them coming

James

When I lived there I didn't even know there had been the narrow gauge gas works line.  It was a long time after I moved away that I learnt about it - so I never even went to see where it used to be.

David

• RMweb Gold

J467 - is interesting in that I didn't realize some Newcastle - Liverpool services operated via Harrogate (and presumably a reversal in Leeds) instead of via York.

Quite a lot were routed via Harrogate until BR closed the Ripon line, then  they all had to go through York.  I think that before the Wetherby line was closed they went that way south of Harrogate, which avoided a reversal in Leeds.

As you say though, at the time of the photos they did reverse in Leeds.

David

Unusual traffic in the last picture don't think I have seen that before ,any idea were it had come from and were where the tractors from imported or built in the UK ?  Our friends across the pond would call that TOFC  tractors on flat car more pics please.

Unusual traffic in the last picture don't think I have seen that before ,any idea were it had come from and were where the tractors from imported or built in the UK ?  Our friends across the pond would call that TOFC  tractors on flat car more pics please.

Probably for export via Sheerness or Dover; there were flows from various places to these with tractors at different times. The tractors are Fords, I think, in which case they would have come from the Fordson plant at Brentwood. Other flows have come from International Harvester at Doncaster. These vehicles were often conveyed on SAA 4-wheel steel carriers. There was an attempt to revive the traffic in the early days of the Channel Tunnel, using Comtic articulated well wagons- tractors are a bit bigger these days.

Probably for export via Sheerness or Dover; there were flows from various places to these with tractors at different times. The tractors are Fords, I think, in which case they would have come from the Fordson plant at Brentwood. Other flows have come from International Harvester at Doncaster. These vehicles were often conveyed on SAA 4-wheel steel carriers. There was an attempt to revive the traffic in the early days of the Channel Tunnel, using Comtic articulated well wagons- tractors are a bit bigger these days.

Hard to say what type the tractors are but could be Fords or possibly Leylands which were shipped by road and rail from Bathgate for export via Southampton, Sheerness and Dover.

• RMweb Gold

Tractors on Carflats .....another marketing opportunity for Oxford Models?

Phil

Hard to say what type the tractors are but could be Fords or possibly Leylands which were shipped by road and rail from Bathgate for export via Southampton, Sheerness and Dover.

The bonnet area looks more of a Leyland shape to me though I could be wrong and often am!

Great pictures of the Southern, some of the places I know quite well. In fact I drive down the road where you took the Shoreham picture every week, taking my younger son to swimming lessons.

You mention braving the Dartford tunnel. Looking at the dates, it was still a single bore tunnel. The queues seem to have remained despite the increases in capacity over the years!

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A truly exceptional set of photos of the Settle and Carlisle line today. All of the BR steam era views are classics, nostalgic and full of detail for weathering models. The 9F in J531 is a good example, and a classic shot of a steam hauled freight train.

In the last photo, in the left background, there would appear to be a class 4MT BR tank engine on a train of Mk1's. I wonder which special service that had formed?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A truly exceptional set of photos of the Settle and Carlisle line today. All of the BR steam era views are classics, nostalgic and full of detail for weathering models. The 9F in J531 is a good example, and a classic shot of a steam hauled freight train.

In the last photo, in the left background, there would appear to be a class 4MT BR tank engine on a train of Mk1's. I wonder which special service that had formed?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

I should have mentioned that.

There was a week of crew training with trains running from Carlisle to Kirkby Stephen and back several times a day, open to the public by simply turning up and buying a ticket at Carlisle booking office.

On the journey back to Carlisle that day a number of local peole chose to wait for the steam service rather than use the 156 in the photo.

David

Edited by DaveF

Steam lance. All Stanier locos (and many others) had a connection near the front of the smokebox on the fireman's side, to which a high pressure hose could be fitted to, for instance, clear the tubes of a loco standing alongside. As built, the piping was entirely within the smokebox with only the cock itself showing, but later replacement piping was often arranged externally, as here.

Edited by LMS2968
  • Like 1

Two excellent sets of photos David, and they bring back a lot of memories.

J523 shows a yellow disc signal adjacent to the box. I have had their purpose explained to me a few times but being a bit slow I still can't understand where the advantage of one over a red ground disc is beneficial.

Is anyone able to use that one in the photo to point out their usefulness?

Steam lance. All Stanier locos (and many others) had a connection near the front of the smokebox on the fireman's side, to which a high pressure hose could be fitted to, for instance, clear the tubes of a loco standing alongside. As built, the piping was entirely within the smokebox with only the cock itself showing, but later replacement piping was often arranged externally, as here.

Weren't the steam lances also used to clear snow and ice from pointwork?

Another great set of pics Dave.

The plate wagon in J541 should be in 'prototype for everything' corner - I now feel justified putting lead strips on my flat wagons for weight -  that look like this!

Les

Someone has asked about steel slabs on here in the past; the ones in the photo weigh about 5 tons each, and are probably heading to Sheffield or Rotherham to be forged or re-rolled.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Two excellent sets of photos David, and they bring back a lot of memories.

J523 shows a yellow disc signal adjacent to the box. I have had their purpose explained to me a few times but being a bit slow I still can't understand where the advantage of one over a red ground disc is beneficial.

Is anyone able to use that one in the photo to point out their usefulness?

When a yellow disc is 'on' you can still go past it, only not on the route to which it applies. ie in the pic, a loco can still go past the disc into the sidings - to access the main line the disc would have to be 'off'.

If it was a red disc, you would have to stop at it until it was cleared, whatever route was set

• Like 1