Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A great set of photo's from Hillmorton. In J6408, you can see why people do not model motorail trains, they were so very long! And I agree about the composition of the first-class section of the train in J6411. A remarkable selection of first-class coaches.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A great set of photo's from Hillmorton. In J6408, you can see why people do not model motorail trains, they were so very long! And I agree about the composition of the first-class section of the train in J6411. A remarkable selection of first-class coaches.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Indeed! At least a dozen Carflats and eight coaches at least. That would make a good length train even in N.

Two excellent sets of photos David, and they bring back a lot of memories.

J523 shows a yellow disc signal adjacent to the box. I have had their purpose explained to me a few times but being a bit slow I still can't understand where the advantage of one over a red ground disc is beneficial.

Is anyone able to use that one in the photo to point out their usefulness?

When a yellow disc is 'on' you can still go past it, only not on the route to which it applies. ie in the pic, a loco can still go past the disc into the sidings - to access the main line the disc would have to be 'off'.

If it was a red disc, you would have to stop at it until it was cleared, whatever route was set

This is the official definition for a Yellow disc in my old 1972 rule book. Clause 5.2.2.

post-7146-0-00344300-1476489672_thumb.jpg

It always did take a bit of working out, but that is where route knowledge came in, especially if you had a pair of them, as below.

18431098413_5b905c7d91_b.jpgCBR 2-106 by Paul James, on Flickr

Paul J.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

going back slightly to the WCML trains in the late '60s, they often seemed to have about 3​1/2 ​ first class coaches - loco then BFK, FK, FK, then possibly FO for dining and then a restaurant car (at least an RB, if not an RU or RKB - i'm not sure which trains would've had a dia.17 RF, but they were an LMR vehicle)

1A26 was the 12:00 KX-Aberdeen. Note the maroon BSO with B4 bogies.

1A23 was the 10:00 Edinburgh-KX, The Flying Scotsman.

1E71 was the 11:00 Bradford/11:30 Leeds-KX. The front 4 coaches are the Bradford portion.

C2285 from the formation looks like the 09:00 KX-Newcastle.

C3122 from the formation looks like the 10:10 KX-Leeds. 

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the ECML photo's from Barkston and Dry Doddington. In the second one, J1426, the 55 makes a fine sight at the head of what is the up Flying Scotsman - the train of trains! And it looks as if, from the nameplate,  that it is indeed 9019, Royal Highland Fusilier.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

going back slightly to the WCML trains in the late '60s, they often seemed to have about 3​1/2 ​ first class coaches - loco then BFK, FK, FK, then possibly FO for dining and then a restaurant car (at least an RB, if not an RU or RKB - i'm not sure which trains would've had a dia.17 RF, but they were an LMR vehicle)

Liverpool and Manchester trains via the Trent Valley were usually BSO, 5 TSO, RKB, 2 FO, 2 FK, BFK, with some variations. Trains via Birmingham were generally BSO 5 or 6 TSO, RB, FO, 2 FK, BFK, again with some variations. There is late 1960s footage of Diag 17 RF instead of RB in some of the latter. RF also appeared in various other trains up the WCML  'The Executive' had two RK.

This evening's photos were taken on the Midlad Main Line just south of Trent on the embankement leading to Trent Lock and the bridges over the River Trent.

They were all taken in the summer of 1976, hence the bleached looking grass and crops.

Before anyone asks, I have been unable to decipher the lettering on some of the wagons in the second image.

attachicon.gifTrent Class 120 Nottingham to Leicester July 76 C2868.jpg

Trent Class 120 Nottingham to Leicester July 76 C2868

attachicon.gifTrent 2 Class 20s up coal July 76 C2869.jpg

Trent 2 Class 20s up coal July 76 C2869  Note that one is green, the other is blue, a not uncommon sight at the time.

attachicon.gifTrent Class 120 Leicester to Nottingham July 76 C2870.jpg

Trent Class 120 Leicester to Nottingham July 76 C2870

attachicon.gifTrent Class 31 up freight with Class 08 July 76 C2873.jpg

Trent Class 31 up freight with Class 08 in the train July 76 C2873

attachicon.gifTrent Class 37 down ballast July 76 C2874.jpg

Trent Class 37 down ballast July 76 C2874

David

Wagons 5 and 6 in C2869 are Lancashire Steel 27t ore tipplers. After Irlam closed, they passed to the BSCO pool and were used for both ore traffic around Corby or being vac fitted, more often on coal traffic where they could provide a fitted head to the unfitted 16t slope sided minerals.

Wagon 7 in this  shot is a BSCO 27t tippler (ex S&L)

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photos of the Vale of Rheidol Railway. I wonder what the man was doing on the bunker of number 9 in C4712.

And there is a great set of photos of the MML. In the class 120's, the trailer buffet car is marshalled with the toilets at the DMSL end of the car. I like the photo of the 37 on a ballast train. It makes a fine sight from the side, and is useful modelling material.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photos of the Vale of Rheidol Railway. I wonder what the man was doing on the bunker of number 9 in C4712.

And there is a great set of photos of the MML. In the class 120's, the trailer buffet car is marshalled with the toilets at the DMSL end of the car. I like the photo of the 37 on a ballast train. It makes a fine sight from the side, and is useful modelling material.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

I think the man in  the Vale of Rheidol phot C4712o was about to put the headlamp on ready for the return journey to Aberystwyth - but it was a long time ago.

David

I always found the area around Trent Lock almost a magical place. So close to busy Long Eaton, yet almost totally isolated from the outside world. The trains seemed to appear from all points of the compass, disappearing into the landscape. Above all this was the brooding presence of Ratcliffe Power Station, with the fascinating cloud effects it created.

Thanks for the memories David.....

• Like 1

Summer of 76.... I was 16 and about to do my first East Midlands Railrover. Wonderful memories. Dave, the 'Like' button alone does not fully express my appreciation and thanks for your marvellous photos, and the time and effort you put in to posting them. 

...and I remember going up to Cumbria camping the day the drought broke in late August - spent all night digging drainage trenches round the tent to stop the run-off from the torrential downpour flooding inside...

Apologies but I think you are a week too early. On 3 September 1976 the largest outbreak of Colorado beetle since 1947 was found in Thanet and the weather held for another couple of days. Then 1976 became one of the wettest years on record, it rained and rained and rained!. Yes I was there! [and got a promotion out of it :sungum: as well as doing a live Pebble Mill at one after hardly sleeping for 48 hours]

Paul