Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Didn't Cecil Paget design an odd looking experimental 2-6-2 loco? I can't remember any details of it or whether it was successful, presumably it wasn't. Did it have sleeve valves or something, I know there was something odd about it.

Edward

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Excellent photos of Newcastle. It's good to see, the driver?, washing the windscreen in C6638. And I love the portrait of 47467 in the last photo. It is so hard to believe that those photos were taken all those years ago, it only seems as though the '80's were so recent.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

A few photos from Crewe taken in early 1971 and 1972.  The weather was mainly dull on both visits.

attachicon.gifCrewe Class 86 E3181 up Royal Scot 13th March 71 C492.jpg

Crewe Class 86 E3181 up Royal Scot 13th March 71 C492

attachicon.gifCrewe Class 86 E3163 Liverpool to Euston 13th March 71 C506.jpg

Crewe Class 86 E3163 Liverpool to Euston 13th March 71 C506

attachicon.gifCrewe Class 86 E3139 Euston to Carlisle 1123 Sat 5th Feb 72 C0806.jpg

Crewe Class 86 E3139 Euston to Carlisle 1123 Sat 5th Feb 72 C0806

attachicon.gifCrewe Class 120 set 501 Shrewsbury to Crewe 5th Feb 72 C808.jpg

Crewe Class 120 set 501 Shrewsbury to Crewe 5th Feb 72 C808

attachicon.gifCrewe Class 86 E3126 Euston to Manchester 1131 Sat 5th Feb 72 C0814.jpg

Crewe Class 86 E3126 Euston to Manchester 1131 Sat 5th Feb 72 C0814

David

Looks like HA point machines. I thought Crewe was a Westinghouse job or did they just supply the lever frames?

• RMweb Gold

Looks like HA point machines. I thought Crewe was a Westinghouse job or did they just supply the lever frames?

The new machines look as if they are Westinghouse Style M63 or Style 70 point machines.  The older ones definitely look more like an SGE design (Style HA?) but the frames were definitely Westinghouse in both boxes.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Lovely photos of Crewe from '71 and '72. The thing that immediately strikes me is how grotty the trains were looking. Dirt and brake dust all over the locos and stock. A good exercise in weathering. Interesting that the track was still mainly bullhead rail, BR must have saved money by not renewing the track upon electrification.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

The new machines look as if they are Westinghouse Style M63 or Style 70 point machines.  The older ones definitely look more like an SGE design (Style HA?) but the frames were definitely Westinghouse in both boxes.

I have a lump of Crewe South frame working at home but i'm surprised to see so many SGE HA's.

It was after working that frame at the Great Cockrow Railway i decided i wanted one of my own. I had a significant chunk of one of the Bristol GRS drawslide frames as barter material so it didn't take long before i had one.

Edited by LNERGE
  • Like 1

Whatever they were I can still remember the sound they made when they were operated.

I miss Crewe as it was in the 70s

Those 1971 Crewe photographs remind me of my first visit there in July of that year, which covered three consecutive days, on a 3D Rover ticket. Nice to see some electrics in nearly original condition but it's the pairs of 50s on the Glasgow trains that I remember (plus some scruffy class 24s, in pairs on coal trains). On one day I clocked up nearly half the class, plus class 74 no E6105 running light back south to the Southern Region, after a works visit.

Those three days also included my first visit to Reddish. Apart from the usual collection of class 76s, the depot was hosting a Merseyrail class 503 and class 50 no 414.

I've been to Crewe many, many times since - but that first visit (well, actually three times in three days) is firmly implanted in my mind.

Thanks, as always, for the memories, Dave.

• Like 4

Those 1971 Crewe photographs remind me of my first visit there in July of that year, which covered three consecutive days, on a 3D Rover ticket. Nice to see some electrics in nearly original condition but it's the pairs of 50s on the Glasgow trains that I remember (plus some scruffy class 24s, in pairs on coal trains). On one day I clocked up nearly half the class, plus class 74 no E6105 running light back south to the Southern Region, after a works visit.

In view of their dodgy reliability, I wonder how far it got?

I take it you are talking about one of these.

14974069382_a561a3be9f_b.jpgA482A-004 by Paul James, on Flickr

A right old mixture of bits, at least one of which is stamped LMS. Photo taken from the old Platform 1 by "Station A" box at Crewe 14/03/82.

Paul J.

Yes indeed Paul. Super picture. I've got a few tucked away for use in the future. There's still a couple in use at Hellifield in the classic motor on the facing end driving a rod to the trailing...

• Like 2

Three more here...

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipOB-eP-aGltgsA6tERhipze8tdppjF2cVSbt6DG6qvP11ub3FrZI9lO2CKAiOcjIA/photo/AF1QipMhs9gFDSxSvseikglmq-8UAIcuXPVhWTvFu-mO?key=OWRxS2RWOWIzOFJaN1dXNy1DNW02aVk0T1c4bGxR

I had all three delivered to site rather than guess which one is best. I didn't get any objections until they were unloaded. The wagon was loaded by a forklift <G> Scroll left for more pictures..

Edited by LNERGE
  • Like 3

Really liked the Crewe photos, 'my' era!  It's funny how much I hated the blue era then, looking out for straggler green locos and maroon coaches, and enjoy it so much now.  Fickle, aren't we railway enthusiasts!

Funny, having grown up with BR Blue, this thread in particular has created a hankering for the before-my-time green and maroon.