Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

I'd go with that, as well, based upon the fact that the other three candidates (9000, 9004 and 9016) all still had their crests at that time - Deltic 4 was also only released from works four days before the end of August 1971.

I would challenge the Brush 4 identities in J2758 and J2759, as well. The former can't be 1532, as that loco was in the early blue livery style (with cabside numbers and double-arrows behind each cab door) by August 1968 . Similarly, the latter can't be 1575, as that loco was also in the same earlier blue livery style. Around that time it was commonly known as "the Sheffield loco", as it seemed to spend most of its time on the "Master Cutler", or spare at Sheffield Midland (although it did make very sporadic appearances on the ECML, despite being Tinsley based).

Correct on the loco identities, see post 8452 onwards.

There was a Tinsley diagram, spread I think over 2/3 days, which took a class 47 to Humberside and West Yorkshire, (current day nomenclature!), working a variety of freight and passenger turns, including a Kings Cross - Cleethorpes and Leeds/Bradford, ISTR a freightliner turn was part of it.

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A great set of photos of Ratcliffe on Soar. Some very moody views in the faint daylight that you have late in the year, with the electricity pylons standing like gaunt sentinels over the railway.

As always it is good to see Peaks at work, and in J2042, class 20 D8063 has all yellow nose ends whilst the other has small yellow panels - a typical contrast at that time.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

J2042- the red-coloured load in the first three wagon is salt for road-gritting, I believe. ICI used to despatch train-loads of the stuff from Over and Wharton to councils throughout the UK.

I recall a poorly-maintained such wagon en route to Mossend Yard causing multiple track circuit failures on the Down WCML as salt leaked out of the vehicle !

C4254: I remember that month and its wintry weather, the memory and the picture still make me shiver !

Great photos Dave, thanks once again for posting.

I recall a poorly-maintained such wagon en route to Mossend Yard causing multiple track circuit failures on the Down WCML as salt leaked out of the vehicle !

Was that the time the 8F from Carnforth was rostered to use it's steam lance to clear the salt?  Or was this a more recent re-occurrence?

Maybe the new owners will upgrade food outlets on the line to offer classic Italian food now that would be an improvement would it not.

You've obviously never eaten in one of the Italian-owned 'Autogrill' restaurants which seem to be ubiquitous on French stations; French friends say that even the previous concessionaires, the Compass Group (formerly Granada Catering, and UK-owned) were better.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Great photos of the L.T.&S.R. I wonder just how many miles the 302's must have run? I guess it must have been similar to a first generation DMU.

I see in C3651, there is some work going on on the far side cutting face - stabilisation work?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

I wonder just how many miles the 302's must have run? I guess it must have been similar to a first generation DMU.

This picqued my interest. A fag-packet calculation comes out with a daily fleet average of around 25,000 miles for the 70 class 302s in service, the rest (17 units) in for maintenance. With a 40 year service life, 338 days per year (Sundays only half the daily fleet mileage), comes out at around 3.9m miles for each 4-car unit.

• RMweb Gold

Didn't they run all sorts of extra trains for the Motor Show back then?

And does anyone think the 304 might be coupled to a 310 behind it? Fairly unusual?

There were a lot of extra trains, I think some 304s were brought in from the north west.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A good set of photos from Birmingham International station in October, 1980. Plenty of additional trains could be run back then since not all units and carriages that were not in everyday use had been withdrawn. Today there is no room for such workings since the railway has no additional capacity anymore.

Interesting to see the 310 coupled up to the 304. You certainly can't see such sights anymore.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Didn't they run all sorts of extra trains for the Motor Show back then?

And does anyone think the 304 might be coupled to a 310 behind it? Fairly unusual?

looks like another 304 to me, just the effect of the different livery. Have a look at the brake area...

looks like another 304 to me, just the effect of the different livery. Have a look at the brake area...

I'm not convinced - zoom right in on the bogies for one thing, and they look B4/B5 style, plus there are a number of no-door seating bays like a 310, no obvious "1"s on the doors of the middle trailer, and the bodyside looks curved at the bottom?

• RMweb Gold

That unit is a 310, having magnified the photo, owing to the fact that it has B4 and B5 bogies, a sharp tumblehome, different roof vents to a 304, and as mentioned, no first class on the trailer car.

Best regards,

Rob.

Edited by Market65

I'm not convinced - zoom right in on the bogies for one thing, and they look B4/B5 style, plus there are a number of no-door seating bays like a 310, no obvious "1"s on the doors of the middle trailer, and the bodyside looks curved at the bottom?

That unit is a 310, having magnified the photo, owing to the fact that it has B4 and B5 bogies, a sharp tumblehome, different roof vents to a 304, and as mentioned, no first class on the trailer car.

Best regards,

Rob.

I suspect they are stabled there (not coupled) pending return working to their originating station, not sure how the signalling track circuits would permit it though? Any thoughts? Edited by leopardml2341

• RMweb Gold

I suspect they are stabled there (not coupled) pending return working to their originating station, not sure how the signalling track circuits would permit it though? Any thoughts?

Both Dad and I took photos of it as we both went to the Motor show.

We both have it noted as a down working, not stabled.

The train is not visible in the next photo we took either!

David

Edited by DaveF