Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Premium

Isn't it a shame that Liverpool Street now has that dingy building over the ends of the platform, making that end look like New street. I know money was involved, but how much nicer it would have been if the covering building had had the platform cover twice the height that it is, so that it didn't look so restricted...

Is the GE Hotel still a hotel these days?

Andy G

• RMweb Gold

When they were first delivered the ECML HSTs had a TRUK (Trailer Restaurant Unclassified with Kitchen - 405xx series) and a TRSB (Trailer Restaurant Second with Buffet - 404xx series) in the formation. The former was usually formed between the second class and first class vehicles and the latter in the middle of the second class vehicles. Fairly quickly they were reformed and the catering vehicles placed adjacent to each other.

Looking through the P5 books, it seems the 20 sets with two catering cars were reformed in time for the May 1980 timetable start.

• RMweb Gold

Liverpool Street and Shenfield today.

The second and third photos were taken while I was en route to a meeting in London (I had made a detour from my hotel).

The only thing I remember about the meeting was a senior civil servant who informed us that Hadrian's Wall is still the boundary between England and Scotland.

I hadn't realised that I lived in Scotland until then as I had always thought that Northumberland was in England.

I stopped listening after that.

attachicon.gifLiverpool Street east side Dec 79 C4905.jpg

Liverpool Street east side Dec 79 C4905

attachicon.gifa Liverpool Street entrance and Great Eastern Hotel 20th Oct 93 C19159.jpg

Liverpool Street entrance and Great Eastern Hotel 20th Oct 93 C19159

attachicon.gifa Liverpool Street concourse 20th Oct 93C19160.jpg

Liverpool Street concourse 20th Oct 93 C19160

attachicon.gifj Shenfield Class 309 Clacton to Liverpool St Jan 79 C4270.jpg

Shenfield Class 309 Clacton to Liverpool St Jan 79 C4270

attachicon.gifj Shenfield 309626 Liverpool St to Clacton Jan 79 C4273.jpg

Shenfield 309626 Liverpool St to Clacton Jan 79 C4273

David

Puts on Pedant Hat  Hadrian's wall has never been the boundary between England and Scotland.  It was built as the boundary between the Roman Province of Britannia and Caledonia, which was not part of the Empire.  By the time the English turned up nearly 500 years later in the form of the Saxons, the area both sides of it was part of the Welsh kingdom of Strathclyde, and when the Saxons kicked the Welsh out, the boundary was established more or less where it still is, though it was contended for the next 8 or 9 centuries takes off pedant hat and goes back to sleep.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

My late father, who was a warden of Durham Cathedral, used to tell American Visitors that the wall was built to stop the Border Reivers nicking the lead of the roof of the Cathedral!  Hook line and sinker usually, the US types not understanding the timelines of such an old country.

Back on topic, may I just add one of my occasional thanks for these photos, which are jus such a great record of the railway as it was.  Cheers David.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. It's great to see Haresfield. I know it was originally a four track line, and it had clearly been rationalised by the time of those photos. It's great to see more 45's and 46's at work. And those Cross Country units were such an everyday sight on those metals.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Now that's spooky Dave!

Had planned to go there last night to see Tornado but was at least 40 down so would have been virtually dark by the time she arrived so we didn't....your phots more than make up for it!

So....

J2889 - 3E09? I think not! hee hee

J3181 - 1S27 - was 07.10 Paignton - Edinburgh IIRC, look at that catering provision - not common on cross country - and a two portion train with a brake in the middle plus another at the end plus BG swinger. My wtt is 71/72 so not exactly right but suspect a Glasgow portion comes off at Carstairs.

Due Standish 10.27 and from the shadows that looks right. WTT says 370 tons limit for a 45/46 on column 5 timings and with load 13 she must be pushing that - over 400 tons surely? So bagsy the rear drop light in case she takes the bankers at Bromsgrove, probably 37s by then.

J3182 - 1V67 - 06.28 Leeds to Paignton, due Standish 10.47

J3183 - 1V72 not in my wtt.

Timeless.....

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 2

Another nice set of photos David as always. The first photo, J2889, the loco is D35. The damage on the grills gives it away, but the clincher was when I did a quick Flickr search a nice photo of yours came up of exactly the same shot, which said it was D35.

Always a pleasure seeing what delights you thrill us with each day. Thank you and long may it continue.

Paul J.

• Like 1

Haresfield today.  These are new photos to this thread, but other photos of the same workings may have appeared in this thread before, from slightly different viewpoints.

The loco numbers are pre Tops.

attachicon.gifHaresfield Class 46 171 SW to NE April 73 J3181.jpg

Haresfield Class 46    171 SW to NE April 73 J3181

attachicon.gifHaresfield Class 45 121 to Paignton April 73 J3183.jpg

Haresfield Class 45    121 to Paignton April 73 J3183

Re J3181 (and J2889)

Was the former Haresfield signal box visible in the background still open to control the level crossing or had that already been replaced with a foot crossing? The box does not look boarded up yet and it survived for another 20 years at least: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3612901

Re J3183

Farm track bridge in the background was demolished years ago but the brick abutments are (or were) easily noticeable from passing trains.

Edited by Western Glory

• RMweb Gold

Now that's spooky Dave!

Had planned to go there last night to see Tornado but was at least 40 down so would have been virtually dark by the time she arrived so we didn't....your phots more than make up for it!

So....

J2889 - 3E09? I think not! hee hee

J3181 - 1S27 - was 07.10 Paignton - Edinburgh IIRC, look at that catering provision - not common on cross country - and a two portion train with a brake in the middle plus another at the end plus BG swinger. My wtt is 71/72 so not exactly right but suspect a Glasgow portion comes off at Carstairs.

Due Standish 10.27 and from the shadows that looks right. WTT says 370 tons limit for a 45/46 on column 5 timings and with load 13 she must be pushing that - over 400 tons surely? So bagsy the rear drop light in case she takes the bankers at Bromsgrove, probably 37s by then.

J3182 - 1V67 - 06.28 Leeds to Paignton, due Standish 10.47

J3183 - 1V72 not in my wtt.

Timeless.....

Phil

Phil,

Many thanks for working out the trains.  I've no idea what the headcode on the first one should have been.

Another nice set of photos David as always. The first photo, J2889, the loco is D35. The damage on the grills gives it away, but the clincher was when I did a quick Flickr search a nice photo of yours came up of exactly the same shot, which said it was D35.

Always a pleasure seeing what delights you thrill us with each day. Thank you and long may it continue.

Paul J.

Paul,

Thanks for getting the loco number off my flickr site for me.  It should have been in the caption but somehow I uploaded the wrong file, hence the odd border round it - it is actually a smaller size copy of my original scan without any work done on it.

Re J3181 (and J2889)

Was the former Haresfield signal box visible in the background still open to control the level crossing or had that already been replaced with a foot crossing? The box does not look boarded up yet and it survived for another 20 years at least: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3612901

Re J3183

Farm track bridge in the background was demolished years ago but the brick abutments are (or were) easily noticeable from passing trains.

Thanks for the information Western Glory.

I don't anything about the signal box - I was only there because I was staying with a railway enthusiast friend of dad's who suggested we went there for a couple of hours each time Dad and/or I stayed with him.

David

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A great set of photos of North Wales today. The scenery is spectacular, and similar to some areas of Scotland in places.

In C7464, there is a good view of 47432 at Llanrwst. And a fantastic view of Roman Bridge in the last photo.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A good selection of photo's of Aisgill and Kirkby Stephen. I particularly like J332. A typical view of a Stanier 8F on a freight train in August, 1965.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Re C21395

A rather odd collection of six cottages, four sharing a path to the front door and judging by the central window all of them sharing a half lean-to and half gable-ended porch.

Those gabled entranced railway cottages are a fairly common design feature for the S&C, plenty of other rows of Midland cottages around in varying lengths.

There is another row of six on Moorcock Road as well as some at Cumwhinton and Petteril as well as several other locations

At Garsdale the row is stepped in pairs because of the gradient of the road.

Langwathby block of 6:

https://goo.gl/maps/DhUUuLXFTUx

BTW In 1970 those in C21395 were not white!

Keith

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

Those gabled entranced railway cottages are a fairly common design feature for the S&C, plenty of other rows of Midland cottages around in varying lengths.

There is another row of six on Moorcock Road as well as some at Cumwhinton and Petteril as well as several other locations

At Garsdale the row is stepped in pairs because of the gradient of the road.

Langwathby block of 6:

https://goo.gl/maps/DhUUuLXFTUx

BTW In 1970 those in C21395 were not white!

Keith

And, as Keith says, the stepped Garsdale cottages...  http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4701151

Bill

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

And, as Keith says, the stepped Garsdale cottages...  http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4701151

Bill

Interestingly these in Petteril Terrace are reversed to the public road.

The back yards face the road while the fronts open onto a footpath:

Back:

https://goo.gl/maps/oMqnWoamJbp

Front:

https://goo.gl/maps/ijunwmRyYZz

Likewise these in Armathwaite which also have a variation on porch style:

https://goo.gl/maps/a6u3M1Wbf4J2

The Midland Railway workers on the S&C got nice substantial cottages.

Keith