Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

the black of the headcode and lights stand out oddly like they were added on in paint or photoshop

When I looked at the photo I thought the same, but it really was just like that.

Dave,

C0821, the leading DMU car is a Class 108, but the rest of the train appears to be 101s

Many thanks.  

Will I ever learn to identify dmu vehicles?

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A great set of photos from Crich, with in the first photo, what looks like a perilous situation, with the right hand rail possibly terminating just in front of the tram. I hope I've got it wrong.

I hope that there are more photos from Crewe. Crewe is a true railway centre of great significance.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A great set of photos from Crich, with in the first photo, what looks like a perilous situation, with the right hand rail possibly terminating just in front of the tram. I hope I've got it wrong.

I hope that there are more photos from Crewe. Crewe is a true railway centre of great significance.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

I think that the plant ist cunningly growing to hide the rail.

David

A correction and an observation as I hasten to catch up after a little time away...

In photo C8347 (page 391 post #9760) the DMU running number is M54247.

In photo J550 (page 393 post #9813) the 3rd vehicle in the train looks like an early Mk2 FK...

• RMweb Gold

post-5613-0-99022700-1492268224_thumb.jp

Raskelf BR Type 2 D5230?? down freight July 66 J543  Class 25

Having looked close at the pic, I too would query the number.

The last digit isn't a 0, and as this bodyshell ended at D5232 I don't think its D523X, looks a bit like D5226/8 to my (ropey) eyes.

Any further offers?

Mike.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

post-5613-0-99022700-1492268224_thumb.jp

The last digit isn't a 0, and as this bodyshell ended at D5232 I don't think its D523X, looks a bit like D5226/8 to my (ropey) eyes.

Any further offers?

Mike.

The last number looks like an 8 to me, so that would put it as D5228. Mind you, the third number looks like a 3 to me, which it obviously cannot be. http://www.derbysulzers.com/25078.html

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Any further offers?

Mike.

The last number looks like an 8 to me, so that would put it as D5228. Mind you, the third number looks like a 3 to me, which it obviously cannot be. http://www.derbysulzers.com/25078.html

I put the ?? in the caption as I didn't believe the number dad had put.

I think it will have been a photo taken on a day when Dad didn't write down the numbers but took them off the slides later on.  Agfa film was never that sharp, especially when the camera produced half frame images (24x18mm)  so working out the numbers was very difficult.

I would be very pleased if someone does work out which loco it really is.

David

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Gold

I put the ?? in the caption as I didn't believe the number dad had put.

I think it will have been a photo taken on a day when Dad didn't write down the numbers but took them off the slides later on.  Agfa film was never that sharp, especially when the camera produced half frame images (24x18mm)  so working out the numbers was very difficult.

I would be very pleased if someone does work out which loco it really is.

David

I just had a very good idea and looked at my photos taken on the same day, of the same train.

I cannot post the whole image as I sold the negative with copyright some time ago, but as part of the sale terms was able to keep a scan for my own use.

Below is a small part of the scan showing the number.

post-5613-0-30302800-1492456289.jpg

So it really is D5230.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Darlington to Stanhope photo's. The first photo of class 141, 55518 and 55538, show that those units were placed in service on journeys which they were not really fit for. I know that happened to first generation units too, with, for example, suburban sets put into service on London to West Country holiday extra services.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

I just had a very good idea and looked at my photos taken on the same day, of the same train.

I cannot post the whole image as I sold the negative with copyright some time ago, but as part of the sale terms was able to keep a scan for my own use.

Below is a small part of the scan showing the number.

attachicon.gifImageC03.jpg

So it really is D5230.

David

If I may just register a small complaint please David, you're not supposed to solve your own problems, the rest of us will be redundant!

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A great set of photo's of the Tanfield Railway from your visit yesterday. It's a great railway.

The East Yorkshire photos are excellent, and they would fit in well in my East Yorkshire Railways thread. The last one of Beverley station level crossing could have been taken today, for although the photo is undated, it is still exactly as in that photo.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

I'll bet the white line in the four foot on Ferriby 156481 Manchester to Hull 31st July 90 J11046 runs all the way from Swinden Quarry on the former Grassington branch to Hull.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A great set of photo's of the Tanfield Railway from your visit yesterday. It's a great railway.

The East Yorkshire photos are excellent, and they would fit in well in my East Yorkshire Railways thread. The last one of Beverley station level crossing could have been taken today, for although the photo is undated, it is still exactly as in that photo.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Rob,

Thanks for the comment.  Some of them are in your thread.

The Beverley photo now has a caption - I don't know what went wrong.

David

• RMweb Gold

3343. Could this be the ex harton electric loco number 10?

Sorry,

I forgot to caption the image and then didn't do anything about it until now.

The loco is Hawthorn Leslie 7078 built in 1944 Kearsley No 3.

David

• RMweb Premium

3343. Could this be the ex harton electric loco number 10?

No,, Harton 10 was a 4 wheeler.

post-10195-0-74963900-1492603698_thumb.jpg

David has posted it's correct identity, the Harton 3 and 4 were sort of similar.

post-10195-0-27729000-1492603734_thumb.jpg

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 14

Today's "old" photos are from the Midland main line at Kegworth and Hathern, between Trent and Loughborough.

attachicon.gifKegworth 2 x Class 20 up coal May 70 J2104.jpg

Kegworth 2 x Class 20 up coal May 70 J2104

attachicon.gifKegworth Class 44 D3 down freight May 70 J2105.jpg

Kegworth Class 44 D3 down freight May 70 J2105

attachicon.gifKegworth Class 24 and Class 25 up freigh tMay 70 J2107.jpg

Kegworth Class 24 and Class 25 up freight May 70 J2107

attachicon.gifHathern Class 47 down Feb 71 J2519.jpg

Hathern Class 47 down Feb 71 J2519

attachicon.gifHathern Class 47 1810 down coal Aug 72 C1045.jpg

Hathern Class 47 1810 down coal Aug 72 C1045

David

Another very nice set of photos David. I would like to put forward D5135 as the identity of the class 24 in photo J2107. That's what the number looks like to me in a larger version of the photo, and if the dates on other photos are to be believed, D5135 was in GSYP livery until 1972, and had the radiator overflow stain just behind the radiator fan as in your photo.

Paul J.

• RMweb Gold

Another very nice set of photos David. I would like to put forward D5135 as the identity of the class 24 in photo J2107. That's what the number looks like to me in a larger version of the photo, and if the dates on other photos are to be believed, D5135 was in GSYP livery until 1972, and had the radiator overflow stain just behind the radiator fan as in your photo.

Paul J.

Paul,

That number makes sense.   On the original scan it looks as though it ends in 5.

David