Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. The Chester photos are fantastic and thought provoking. I think that’s the first accident to be shown in your thread. It makes a sobering sight, and I agree that it would be at least twice as long, if not longer, before the railway could be reopened if it had happened today.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

It's not quite the first, but the previous ones were a long time ago.

There were some more photos of the Chester accident in March 2015 (including a poorer copy of the first photo).

Further back in October 2014 there were photos of a derailment of a Peak at British Gypsum Works at Ruschcliffe Halt on the Great Central.

If you put in the place name and choose "This Topic" the RMWeb search facility will bring them up.

Regards,

David

Hi, Dave. I like the Foxfield Railway photos. I particularly like the engine shed in C2459, at Dilhorne, 28th September, 1975. It would make a most delightful model, especially with it next to a coal mine.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

The gradient out of the engine shed at Foxfield was 1 in 11, the brickwork in the back of the shed was a different colour to the rest of the building for obvious reasons!

• RMweb Premium

Some Grassington branch photos today.

It changed a lot between 1965 and 1973.

attachicon.gifGrassington BR Class 4MT 75039 Aug 65 J289.jpg

Grassington BR Class 4MT 75039 Aug 65 J289

attachicon.gifGrassington Class 4 75041 Dec 66 J721.jpg

Grassington Class 4 75041 Dec 66 J721

attachicon.gifCracoe Tilcon ex BR CLass 12 Aug 73 J3359.jpg

Cracoe Tilcon ex BR  15231 Aug 73 J3359

attachicon.gifCracoe Tilcon Class 31 running round Aug 73 J3360.jpg

Cracoe Tilcon    Class 31 running round Aug 73 J3360

attachicon.gifCracoe Tilcon ex BR Class 11 12083 Aug 73 J3361.jpg

Cracoe Tilcon ex BR 12083  & Hibberd 4wdm Aug 73 J3361

David

Interesting. Were the two sets of buffers visible in J289 in the same place as those in J3361, or was the old station elsewhere?

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. As always the photos of Grassington are magnificent. The first two convey so vividly, just how neglected and rundown steam on BR was in those final few years. 75039 and 75041 are in a most advanced state of decay, mobile rust machines!

15231, in J3359, at Cracoe, Tilcon works in August, 1973, is just so white from the limestone, with little trace of its original livery left.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Edited by Market65

I quite like that route too when I worked for central the Norwich Leicester jobs we had were nearly all over old style proper railway

I wonder how many times we have passed each other without knowing?

A fair few times I dare say Russ! Which reminds of a happy coincidence which occurred a few years ago at Water Orton just before it was resignalled - I was working 6M22 from Hinksey to Stud Farm and had stopped at the old gantry on the goods, a few minutes later a New Street - Peterborough unit pulled up alongside me on the fast, I looked across and it was brother Mick driving. We managed a hastily posed photo leaning out of our respective cab doors but I've yet to see it!

• Like 4

I thought that today we'd have a look at the Tyne and Wear Metro as it was in the first half of the1980s.  At this rime the trains were still in their original livery.

attachicon.gifMonkseaton Metro 4015 Tynemouth to Heworth April 82 C5655.jpg

Monkseaton Metro 4015 Tynemouth to Heworth April 82 C5655

attachicon.gifPaklmersville Tyne and Wear Metro to coast 25th June 84 C6547 (2).jpg

Palmersville Tyne and Wear Metro to coast 25th June 84 C6547

attachicon.gifTynemouth 26th Oct 84 C6643.jpg

Tynemouth 26th Oct 84 C6643

attachicon.gifPelaw Junction T&W Metro to Bankfoot going away 1st Aug 85 C7026.jpg

Pelaw Junction T&W Metro to Bankfoot going away 1st Aug 85 C7026

attachicon.gifShiremoor T&W Metro 4086 to St James 5th Aug 85 C7045.jpg

Shiremoor T&W Metro 4086 to St James 5th Aug 85 C7045

David

And for comparison:

https://goo.gl/images/YcBvjb

https://goo.gl/images/qEPNrc

Cheers

Alan

It's a Class 127 rebuilt as a parcels dmu.

It was repainted green, I believe it is set 920 (55966 & 56967) (ex M51591 & M51610)

M515191 had been painted green in 1983 and had been reclaimed from the NRM for further use, M51610 was repainted to match it, then they were renumbered as 55966 and 55967.

55966 had a blank headcode box and Express Parcels branding, 55967 was branded Newspapers (painted over by Oct 1988) and displayed 4 characters in the headcode box.

David

David,

Many thanks for the information, I think it would make an interesting model.

Mark.

• RMweb Gold

A fair few times I dare say Russ! Which reminds of a happy coincidence which occurred a few years ago at Water Orton just before it was resignalled - I was working 6M22 from Hinksey to Stud Farm and had stopped at the old gantry on the goods, a few minutes later a New Street - Peterborough unit pulled up alongside me on the fast, I looked across and it was brother Mick driving. We managed a hastily posed photo leaning out of our respective cab doors but I've yet to see it!

Ahh right I didn't realise you were Mick's brother, I was on central with him I was a Norwich and Mick Cambridge.

Where is he now?

Last time I spoke to him he was doing something with an old mate of mine from Northumberland with a BSC alco

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Grantham to Nottingham photos. The river Trent is looking high in J5626, and in the last photo' at Sewstern Lane crossing, with 47468 on a Parkeston Quay to Glasgow and Edinburgh train in August, 1983, you can see how it may be accelerating with a good flurry of diesel fumes visible.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Re C6111, I note that "Sewstern Lane" is the alternative name for the crossing, according to the NR LNE Level Crossing database, with the actual name being "Sewestern Lane" (i.e. with an extra "e"). However, the Quail map for the line has it as "Sewerstern Lane". No doubting that it is the same crossing as all quote the mileage as 110 miles 69 chains. Funny how (I assume) local dialects can change the spelling of location names when they are written down.

Regards, Ian.

• RMweb Gold

Re C6111, I note that "Sewstern Lane" is the alternative name for the crossing, according to the NR LNE Level Crossing database, with the actual name being "Sewestern Lane" (i.e. with an extra "e"). However, the Quail map for the line has it as "Sewerstern Lane". No doubting that it is the same crossing as all quote the mileage as 110 miles 69 chains. Funny how (I assume) local dialects can change the spelling of location names when they are written down.

Regards, Ian.

It really should be Sewstern Lane as it goes to the village of Sewstern, eventually.

David

Anybody know what the round pins  in the track at London Rd Jctn at first sight they look like oversize Peco track pins any ideas chaps?

It might be to do with the bridge constuction and setting the sleeper spacing, as they look a lot closer spaced than the track to the left of it. A quick comparison count of the sleepers on the two tracks does seem to support this. I've never seen them on any other bridge though.

Paul J.

• RMweb Premium

Sorry David but your 55s are wrong. J3101 when enlarged is clearly 9014 (not 9019) and J2067 is 9008 - note the taller crest - not 9002.

J1779 is more difficult. It looks like an HA allocated one-liner without a crest, which suggests 55013. 55004, 55016 and 55022 would still have had their crests in 1969 so less likely.

• RMweb Gold

Sorry David but your 55s are wrong. J3101 when enlarged is clearly 9014 (not 9019) and J2067 is 9008 - note the taller crest - not 9002.

J1779 is more difficult. It looks like an HA allocated one-liner without a crest, which suggests 55013. 55004, 55016 and 55022 would still have had their crests in 1969 so less likely.

Thanks Andrew.

Today has not been the best of days, having captioned the photos from Dad's notes some time ago I completely forgot to give them a final check today before posting.

David

Some photos along the ECML for this afternoon.

attachicon.gifClaypole Class 55 down July 69 J1779.jpg

Claypole Class 55 down July 69 J1779

David

Based on nameplate length I'd say candidates are D9000 or D9013. D9004 nameplate too long and same for D9016, I think.

There is something between the louvres above the nameplate that is consistent with a round badge, therefore I'll opt for D9000:

http://www.napier-chronicles.co.uk/0272.htm

The old station was further on in outskirts, if such they can be called, of Grassington itself, possibly half a mile further. They were set back from the road into the village, hidden by other buildings.

I think the old station was pretty close to the main road out of Grassington - the building in the background in J289 is on the other side of that road. The site is covered by houses now. At Swinden Quarry the road was realigned to allow expansion of the quarry after steam finished on the branch, so the bit of road visible by the two parked shunters didn't exist when the line continued to Grassington proper.