Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Yes, it entered service in Railfreight grey, but had become a bit work-stained by the time of its naming, so a depot level freshen up was thought appropriate.

And that was done at Gateshead????????

Things must have changed there since steam days.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Cambois photo's, and I can't help but notice all those brake vans in C5115, in July, 1980. I wonder if they were all to be scrapped?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

At the time a lot of brake vans were still in use in the area.  Thery were needed for the Alcan alumina trains and many of the old coal hoppers, used both for the staithes traffic and for the power stations.

By late 1980 there were a few HBAs (and later HEAs) in use on the staithes, but they were very much in the minority.  Within a year or so they became more common, especially for the power station traffic.

From memory the same was true of the power station traffic.

HAAs came to the area much later .

David

Edited by DaveF

A rare shot showing off the purpley- brown colour that was used for a while for coaching stock underframes (including DMUs, IIRC) in the late 1960s/early 1970s. It was presumably intended to make brake dust and other contamination less visible, but didn't work that well. I even saw a re-bodied 16t mineral carrying it. When I painted some models with it, I found 'Caledonian Railway Purple' was a reasonable match.

IIRC BR(S) EMUs were still being outshopped new and after overhaul with the purple underframe paint into 1974. In most cases it also was applied to the bogie frames...

IIRC BR(S) EMUs were still being outshopped new and after overhaul with the purple underframe paint into 1974. In most cases it also was applied to the bogie frames...

The paint is called bogie brown, its not purple.............. It is Avery similar shade of brown to Pullman Umber but has purple blue cast in it, when caught in the right light.

• RMweb Premium

• RMweb Premium

When the corporate livery was first announced, I had a period of painting my Tri-ang Mk.1s in Monastral Blue and Rail Grey; for the bogies and underframes I mixed GWR chocolate with LMS Crimson Lake.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 1

The corporate manual might have called it that, but bogie brown is what it said on the tin....

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Leicestershire photos. In J2137, the Exton Park British Steel ironstone line, in November 1972, was looking most bucolic, which has been well captured in the photo'.

Regarding the dark brown of BR blue and grey livery, I always thought it looked very much like chocolate, and remember repainting a Metro Cammell unit from Triang in dark brown, for its underframe, from a tin marked Chocolate Brown. It looked Ok to me.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Foxfield Railway photos. I particularly like the engine shed in C2459, at Dilhorne, 28th September, 1975. It would make a most delightful model, especially with it next to a coal mine.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Really enjoying those Leicestershire shots from yesterday Dave, particularly the Peak passing over the LC at Ashwell. It's on my route card and still feels like a proper bit of 'old railway' when I work over it. Often thought a ficticious location along it would make for a nice layout, especially if it was set in the early '70s.

J3189 - how many zero mileposts are there? You don't tend to see them at the buffers in London termini.

There's a big one in the middle of the centre platforms at York.

Edit: just found a thread:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/91128-milepost-0/

Edited by eastwestdivide

• RMweb Gold

Really enjoying those Leicestershire shots from yesterday Dave, particularly the Peak passing over the LC at Ashwell. It's on my route card and still feels like a proper bit of 'old railway' when I work over it. Often thought a ficticious location along it would make for a nice layout, especially if it was set in the early '70s.

I quite like that route too when I worked for central the Norwich Leicester jobs we had were nearly all over old style proper railway

I wonder how many times we have passed each other without knowing?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Nottingham Midland and on the line towards Newark photo's. They are full of period atmosphere, and I like the way, in the last photo', you can see the first class saloon lighting in the class 120 DMU. I wish the manufacturer's of models could see such photo's, for the interior lights are, mostly, much too bright and white.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. The Chester photos are fantastic and thought provoking. I think that’s the first accident to be shown in your thread. It makes a sobering sight, and I agree that it would be at least twice as long, if not longer, before the railway could be reopened if it had happened today.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

In C7458 there looks like a green DMU(?) with a big grey door in the side of it in the background. Does anyone have an idea what this might be?

It looks very well cared for, even having what looks like white wheel rims.

Mark. 

• RMweb Gold

In C7458 there looks like a green DMU(?) with a big grey door in the side of it in the background. Does anyone have an idea what this might be?

It looks very well cared for, even having what looks like white wheel rims.

Mark. 

It's a Class 127 rebuilt as a parcels dmu.

It was repainted green, I believe it is set 920 (55966 & 56967) (ex M51591 & M51610)

M515191 had been painted green in 1983 and had been reclaimed from the NRM for further use, M51610 was repainted to match it, then they were renumbered as 55966 and 55967.

55966 had a blank headcode box and Express Parcels branding, 55967 was branded Newspapers (painted over by Oct 1988) and displayed 4 characters in the headcode box.

David